The Secret World Beta

Emurlahn

Jan 13, 2010
Beta registration for Funcoms upcoming MMORPG The Secret World [http://www.darkdaysarecoming.com/], starting in less than 3 hours, to be precise.

Just though I should tell you guys. You know, if you were interested, cause I certainly am.

Anyone else looking forwards to this?

EDIT:
Some story, conspiracies.

A bit of gameplay, between other things.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Emurlahn said:
Beta registration for Funcoms upcoming MMORPG The Secret World [http://www.darkdaysarecoming.com/], starting in less than 3 hours, to be precise.

Just though I should tell you guys. You know, if you were interested, cause I certainly am.

Anyone else looking forwards to this?
So, I'm kind of busy doing stuff right now and don't have the time to look myself.

Is it going to be one of those dime a dozen 'Stand around and nurse cooldowns to collect 20 bear asses to unlock the quest to gather 50 shark kidneys' MMOs? If so, it can go die in a fire.

If not...I'll go look at it.

Emurlahn

Jan 13, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
It's going to be three faction skill-based.

Set in a modern Lovecraftian world. Lots of conspiracies and monsters and all that jazz. And they've had an ARG going since 2007, revealing various bits of info along the way.

Some story, conspiracies.

A bit of gameplay, between other things.

Emurlahn

Jan 13, 2010
Might as well use the double post..

Yogal_Fish said:
Isnt that coming to the 360?
The 360 version has been stalled, due to the not so successful AoC, and because Microsoft is bickering, again.

Yogal_Fish

Aug 25, 2011
Emurlahn said:
Might as well use the double post..

Yogal_Fish said:
Isnt that coming to the 360?
The 360 version has been stalled, due to the not so successful AoC, and because Microsoft is bickering, again.

Oh okay.
And its a Action MMO? Cool.
Might try the beta out.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Emurlahn said:
Hm...from the second video, they said that they're doing away with levels and classes, but they mention there is still a progression. I imagine that means that there are either 'proficiencies' that you gain by using the weapons/magic, or your gear is wholly dependent on how much you pay for it.

When you say they're starting beta registration...do you mean that they'll be taking applications for a closed beta, or that's when they put an open beta up?

LordDPS

Jun 4, 2010
I don't really care for The Secret World, all it's doing is delaying Dreamfall Chapters.

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
Seems alright, I wish I had my own computer with the tech to handle it. Or at least I hope it comes out on the 360. I got pissed when it turned out Champions Online wasn't going to make it to consoles.

Emurlahn

Jan 13, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
Emurlahn said:
Hm...from the second video, they said that they're doing away with levels and classes, but they mention there is still a progression. I imagine that means that there are either 'proficiencies' that you gain by using the weapons/magic, or your gear is wholly dependent on how much you pay for it.

When you say they're starting beta registration...do you mean that they'll be taking applications for a closed beta, or that's when they put an open beta up?
It will be skill-based, as far as we have been told at least. So your skills progress when you use them, much like TES or EVE.

And it is unfortunately only registration...

Limecake

May 18, 2011
I'd sign up for the beta if I was sure my computer could run it, looks pretty neat especially the Illuminati.

I just don't think I have time for an MMO anymore. however if it comes to the xbox I'll be picking up a copy.

darkonnis

Apr 8, 2010
I'd never heard of it but it seems quite interesting. I like the idea of gradual progression instead of actual levels which in my opinion has been done to death at the minute

Emurlahn

Jan 13, 2010
Akytalusia said:
it looks interesting. but it is it f2p or p2p?
It will be subscription based, AND there will be micro-transactions.

But I believe they will go over to the same path as AoC, with micro-trans, and subs for "premium-members".

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Emurlahn said:
Akytalusia said:

But I believe they will go over to the same path as AoC, with micro-trans, and subs for "premium-members".
Ew. Subscriptions. Haven't they learned that F2P with the option to become Premium is the way of the future?

Anyway...what does AoC stand for? /Lame.

Emurlahn

Jan 13, 2010
SteelStallion said:
Looks like it would be more interesting as a single player game.

It builds up such a cool world and atmosphere, but it'll be ruined by morons running around in their glowing underwear of immortality and spamming "WTB SOCKS OF REFUGE PLZ NUB".

I just don't think "serious" and "atmosphere" has any place in an MMO, it doesn't work. Unless you're in a strictly roleplay server, morons ruin the immersion which really irks me because some of these games are great.
I fear that I have to agree slightly, but I still have high hopes for this game.

Kopikatsu said:
Emurlahn said:
Akytalusia said:

Ew. Subscriptions. Haven't they learned that F2P with the option to become Premium is the way of the future?

Anyway...what does AoC stand for? /Lame.
Or they should do like EVE, and give you the option to pay with in-game currency, which you, of course, can buy for real money.

AoC is Age of Conan, Funcom's last MMORPG, which wasn't that big a hit..

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
It honestly looks rather intruiging, Forgiving the combinations of demons other fantasy motif mainstays with modernized ballistic weapons like shotguns.

Had it not been for preordering ToR at a friends request, I might be compelled to give this a look.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
I really like the setting of this game. Dark modern fantasy stuff is awesome! I'll try it out, about 30 mins til I can register for the beta...