The Secret World Preview

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The Secret World Preview

Come to The Secret World, the unMMO. Now with Cthulhu!

Read Full Article

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
It's not going to be Free-to-play. It's going to combine a subscription and microtransactions.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/08/26/the-secret-worlds-business-model-to-feature-subs-and-cash-shop/

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
My only question is when the hell is it coming out? I mean it was announced like two years ago and since then we get a vid every few months telling us how great it is.

Just set a date for crip's sake. If ya have too work on it an extra month people wont mind waiting for polish, hell they may get more excited over it. People(myself included) just want to have a general idea of when we can expect it.

Also Ive heard off and on rumblings about it being on 360, I'd like them to confirm that as well.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Primus1985 said:
My only question is when the hell is it coming out? I mean it was announced like two years ago and since then we get a vid every few months telling us how great it is.

Just set a date for crip's sake. If ya have too work on it an extra month people wont mind waiting for polish, hell they may get more excited over it. People(myself included) just want to have a general idea of when we can expect it.

Also Ive heard off and on rumblings about it being on 360, I'd like them to confirm that as well.
It's releasing next April.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/08/16/gamescom-2011-the-secret-world-launching-april-2012/
(Massively strikes again)

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
I'm interested in this game (especially after the Agency was canceled) but whether I'll be picking it up depends on whether Guild Wars 2 will be available at the time of release.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
The Secret World Preview

Read Full Article
Damn me -- I've sworn off MMOs, but I can't help but be curious/excited about this one. This preview did not help. You're enabling my habit, Ms. Arendt.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Dastardly said:
Susan Arendt said:
The Secret World Preview

Read Full Article
Damn me -- I've sworn off MMOs, but I can't help but be curious/excited about this one. This preview did not help. You're enabling my habit, Ms. Arendt.
My work here is done!

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Mooboo Magoo said:
Subscription fees AND microtransactions?
No thank you. The game looks awesome though.
I assumed WoW would be the only game to continue doing this.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Loop Stricken said:
Mooboo Magoo said:
Subscription fees AND microtransactions?
No thank you. The game looks awesome though.
I assumed WoW would be the only game to continue doing this.
Give it time, they all cave in the end if there is money to be made.

OT: I'm certainly interested in this, especially if the quests and puzzles involve actually thinking instead of glorified walking. Okay, googling, but still.

As for the payments, I wouldn't really mind a 15$ a month fee to play, that's not bad at all. However, I sincerely hope that they *just* do the fee and the micros, because one trend that I very much hope is dying out of MMOs is the stupid 60$ "buy-in" activation fee. The hell? Sixty dollars is not curiosity money, people!

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
My work here is done!
Indeed. I'll watch the game closely... but I feel there's really no way a game can get me back into paying a subscription. MMOs have lost the feeling of "virtual real estate" that gave them real persistence. In all the current offerings, you're playing a single-player game that has some multiplayer options in it, but the world is a transient "visual lobby" in which you chat while looking for a group.

Star Wars Galaxies had player housing that was in the world, not instanced. And with the vendor system, you had reason to go there. You had a feeling that, even when you were logged out, you still had a real, visible footprint in the world. Same all the way back to Ultima Online.

That feeling is gone. Your only "real estate" is your character, and I appreciate that The Secret World is allowing you to decide your look, rather than forcing your character model to simply be a rented Trophy Case. Even then, the character itself isn't enough, because identity is portable -- I can create "my character" in as many games as I want to. To anchor me in the world, I need something that intimately connects my character to it.

In that regard, earlier games tried harder, because they had to in order to get people over the idea of paying monthly. That seal is well past broken now, and $15/month has become so accepted as to be beyond challenge or question.

A single-player (and single-pay) experience like Skyrim has more persistence (and, I don't know, "Worldness?") to it than any MMO out there right now. And the world is as big as you please, too. The Secret World will have to have something major to justify continuous payment...

Scarblade

Beta testing life since 1991
Jan 26, 2011
I'm really looking forward to this one, I just hope it lives up to what it is promising, and especially that it does justice to all the folktales and whatnot.

I definitely won't have a problem with paying a monthly fee, as long as the quality extends past the beginning area.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
cursedseishi said:
2xDouble said:
It's not going to be Free-to-play. It's going to combine a subscription and microtransactions.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/08/26/the-secret-worlds-business-model-to-feature-subs-and-cash-shop/
Aye, with the cash shop selling cosmetic items and possibly crafting material, which goes against their statement of not selling power in it, even if it's just indirectly.

Otherwise, no amount of praise is going to buy me on this game, especially praise about the beginner experience. And you know why? Age of Conan was being lavished with love about its beginner experience, something many people only got to try out in the betas before launch. (That said, the quality really picked up in the first year after launch, removing most of the bugs and restoring and adding content)

And after launch, people found out the game after that point was sheer crap compared to it. It's simple to polish a tiny part of a game to get some easy loving, instead of ensuring all of the game is well off, at launch.
Key differences being that Age of Conan was published by Eidos, who stopped funding Funcom prematurely, forcing them to release the game in an Alpha stage if the game was going to ever fly at all.

Now EA is watching over The Secret World, and seeing how gracious they've been with Bioware and The Old Republic, I'm fairly sure they've given Funcom all the money and time needed to make this one shine.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
Burn me once, shame on me. Burn me 14 times, what am I, a dumbass? No. No MMO gets me excited before release any more. Is the hype still swirling and people buying it in large quantities 6 months after release? That's when I'll start getting interested. Too many flashes in too many pans at this point.