The Semicolon; That's Right, I'm Reviewing a Punctuation Mark

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
author's note: Of course I'm being frivolous, so adjust your expectations accordingly.

The punctuation marks are often misused, much-maligned, and under assault by text-messaging teens. The comma, spliced more often than Pinky and the Brain's genes, often heralds incompetence whenever it appears. The hyphen---or em dash---is too often used to set off an appositive in exactly the sort of place a comma should be doing the job for which it was designed. The exclamation point? OMG!!!!!1!1! It's lost its punch. The apostrophe, well, if I see any more apostrophe's used as plural's I might grow leaves, change my name to Bob, and start ranting.

All of the above, however, have simply been destroyed by misuse. There is one punctuation mark that has been destroyed not by misuse but by neglect and that is the humble semicolon. Laugh all you want; used properly the semicolon has a place in any well-constructed sentence. Consider this quote from Andrew Ryan in BioShock: "Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? No says the man in Washington; it belongs to the poor. No says the man in The Vatican; it belongs to God. No says the man in Moscow; it belongs to everyone." Sure, you could use commas for the same effect; the sentence stands out for its use of semicolons.

I am far from the first to lament the blatant disregard for the semicolon. Slate magazine [http://www.slate.com/id/2194087/] lamented its demise while simultaneously hammering an additional nail into the mark's coffin by pointing out its primary modern usage as a means to express a wink in an Internet chat room. It seems the semicolon was fatally wounded by Samuel Morse and his code; nonetheless, it persists and prevails since so many dedicated writers are committed to its proper use. We may be called elitists; Kurt Vonnegut famously remarked that "All semicolons do is show that you've been to college." You are correct, Kurt; I have been to college. That is not, however, why I use the point-virgule with such gusto.

It is not enough to simply write concisely; one must put flavor into his work. Breaking out the thesaurus and committing never to use the same fifty-cent word twice is one thing. Writing like Hemingway and lampshading one's own writing style is another. Still, there is one method that simply cannot be beaten; use of the semicolon is exactly the sort of punch that like a vintage Mike Tyson left hook the reader never sees coming and by which he is knocked for a rhetorical and grammatical loop. That is the sort of writing that is remembered; let us celebrate the semicolon and all of its glory.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Why?

No really, this doesn't come under "I was bored" or even "It's a joke".

Also it's not much in the way of a review. It's well written but you haven't actually said much.
You focused too much on other stuff for such a short (but obviously well thought out) review.

Also just because evil is fun:

;P

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
You know, I used to think I abused the semicolon; I'd employ it in virtually every sentence in some cases.

Reading this has made me totally rethink my outlook; its use was not overdone. If anything, it should be used more; the fact it is so absent in most internet forum posts is a terrible shame.

Best of all, the semicolon can itself be a tool of humour and irony; extensive use, even if used correctly, creates the perception of poor grammar.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Reaperman Wompa said:
Why?

No really, this doesn't come under "I was bored" or even "It's a joke".

Also it's not much in the way of a review. It's well written but you haven't actually said much.
You focused too much on other stuff for such a short (but obviously well thought out) review.

Also just because evil is fun:

;P
This review was actually born out of a brainstorming session I'd had about playing a joke straight. Partially inspired by Hey Joe's stapler review, partially inspired by the Slate article I linked to, and partially inspired by a poster on GameFAQs pointing out to me that I am the only person he's ever seen on the Internet who knows how to use a semicolon properly (itself likely a reference to the quote about David Berkowitz.)

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
That wasn't really a review of the semicolon, but interesting nonetheless (is that how you type that?). Your little...say...article on the current status of the semicolon did help to convince me that it is in fact useful. The only time I can remember using one was when Microsoft Word informed me that one would be more appropriate somewhere than what I had written, and I took its advice. People should start using it more. Perhaps we can start a public awareness campaign?

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
SimuLord said:
Sure, you could use commas for the same effect; the sentence stands out for its use of semicolons.
Not that I don't appreciate the feeling behind your semicolon love, but I feel this sentence shows exactly the opposite problem: a mistaken overcorrection. The sentence flows much better if you replace ";" with ", but"; without the ", but" it's still understandable, but the opposition of the two independent clauses isn't clear enough.
I would also have preferred if this review said more about the usage of the lonesome semi-colon, as I find myself knowing the rule for its correct deployment but find its practical applications somewhat more problematic.
(Dear Lord, see how my tone grew more pompous as the post went on. I blame the influence of the semi-colon. Perhaps this is why it's no longer used: people fear it will turn them into sciolists if they ever dare use it.)

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Thus; I add a list-like clause that is also appropriate with a comma, so why not combine the two?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
If this isn't meant to be a satirical commentary on the ridiculous reviews popping up in the Reviews Section, then it's going just a little too far.

freakyHippo

Jun 12, 2008
the semicolon is the #1 reason why my code won't run. Either i've forgotten to put one in or i've got too many. I loath it

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
Wargamer said:
You know, I used to think I abused the semicolon; I'd employ it in virtually every sentence in some cases.

Reading this has made me totally rethink my outlook; its use was not overdone. If anything, it should be used more; the fact it is so absent in most internet forum posts is a terrible shame.

Best of all, the semicolon can itself be a tool of humour and irony; extensive use, even if used correctly, creates the perception of poor grammar.
Personally, I think what makes the semi-colon so interesting is it's delightfully sparse use. Once upon a time, I think the comma held much the same mischievous joy that the semi-colon now holds. The comma has lost that joy through repeated use. Not the semi-colon, though, because the use is so delightful and sparse. I tend to think the semi-colon should not be abused, but do not simply use it just to do so.

SimuLord had good examples of the semi-colon's use, but yours were forced in all instances but one. Not wrong, technically, but the beauty of a semi-colon is what it should be used on, not what it can be used on. The subtlety is what makes the semi-colon shine, not the repeated instance of its correct use.

So, I will applaud you for the effort; though I will condemn you for the perceived poor grammar. The difference between doing grammar correctly and incorrectly is just as important as making the reader flow over the piece. Don't forget that.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
If this isn't meant to be a satirical commentary on the ridiculous reviews popping up in the Reviews Section, then it's going just a little too far.
Go back and read post #4 again. I wanted to get in on the frivolity; on the other hand, it's out of character for me not to play a joke straight.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
NewClassic said:
Wargamer said:

Personally, I think what makes the semi-colon so interesting is it's delightfully sparse use. Once upon a time, I think the comma held much the same mischievous joy that the semi-colon now holds. The comma has lost that joy through repeated use. Not the semi-colon, though, because the use is so delightful and sparse. I tend to think the semi-colon should not be abused, but do not simply use it just to do so.

SimuLord had good examples of the semi-colon's use, but yours were forced in all instances but one. Not wrong, technically, but the beauty of a semi-colon is what it should be used on, not what it can be used on. The subtlety is what makes the semi-colon shine, not the repeated instance of its correct use.

So, I will applaud you for the effort; though I will condemn you for the perceived poor grammar. The difference between doing grammar correctly and incorrectly is just as important as making the reader flow over the piece. Don't forget that.
I repeat,

Best of all, the semicolon can itself be a tool of humour AND IRONY

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
Wargamer said:
NewClassic said:
Wargamer said:

I repeat,

Best of all, the semicolon can itself be a tool of humour AND IRONY
While I heard and understood, I can't be sure you caught what I was saying. So, I will repeat and explain:

"So, I will applaud you for the effort; though I will condemn you for the perceived poor grammar.[sup]1[/sup] The difference between doing grammar correctly and incorrectly is just as important as making the reader flow over the piece.[sup]2[/sup] Don't forget that."

1. While I applaud the concept, and the amusing irony, I still feel the need to question the purpose.

2. Because a writing's rhythm has just as much to say about the piece as its grammar. The sentence "Spot runs." is technically correct, but that doesn't make it a good sentence. By that same vein, the sentences "Reading this has made me totally rethink my outlook; its use was not overdone. If anything, it should be used more; the fact it is so absent in most internet forum posts is a terrible shame." can and should read as smooth as butter, but the abundance of semi-colons can slow the reader. While the irony is understood, the effect is not worth the sacrifice.

This may be a point of aesthetic, but I'm simply saying the extensive use of a semi-colon can be visually and structurally displeasing. By that note, I feel you should not forget the importance of "voice" in favor of the importance of grammar. Although they are both pivotal, neither can be forgotten. I spoke to remind you of that, not condemn you. (Something, perhaps, my language could have been more clear on. My apologies.)

EDIT
fish food carl said:
My word! Salutations my friend, you've joined us in the fold of "Abnormal" Reviewers. Move the cheese, and make space there between the assorted oddments. Now, to business... I'm still working on the 1000 word review of that brick, but I'm having some trouble. I don't know if I should characterise the brick as a simple-but-happy peasent oaf, or a dashing nobleman in pajamas. Thoughts?
A simple-and-pajama-wearing noble oaf.

Aeranlaes

Jul 27, 2008
Semicolons are awesome. I don't think they're underused though, I just think they're something most writers avoid.

And I think that's potentially prudent. A lot of people (myself included, when I first incorporated semicolons into my writing) misuse them immensely. Granted, a lot of things in writing are completely subjective, but personally, if you overuse the semicolon, then I'd probably interpret your writing as pretentious or pseudointellectual.

But the only way, really, to learn its proper placement is to use it yourself, and to make the same mistakes with it every writer does.