The Senator Yee Affidavit: Bribery, Triads, Drugs, and Arms Deals

Robert Rath

Oct 8, 2010

Critical Intel goes deep on the array of charges against Leland Yee, the anti-violent games, anti-gun State Senator from California. Here's everything you wanted to know.

Read Full Article

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
This is surreal. I had to reread it to make sure I had actually read what I read. From campaign fraud to assisting in weapons smuggling from terrorists? And all the stuff his campaign manager was doing as well. Wow.

If it wasn't for the date I would think it was a remarkably tasteless April Fool's joke

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Its interesting to see old fashioned Tammany Hall politics is still alive and well in the states. How widespread is this?

To be fair the insurgency in Mindanao is rather chameleon like. It tends to publicly adopt the ideology of whoever is likely to give it money. The Mindanao insurgency is really a separatist movement from Manila and the rest is just window dressing.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Robert Rath said:
Though reading the affidavit, I can't help but feel a little sorry for Yee. His pathetic, vulnerable stammer when discussing bribes, the verbal tic of asking rhetorical questions and the way he's pushed around by his fundraisers - he may indeed have some case for entrapment. Uncle Leland does seem like a GTA character, albeit one of the pathetic ones we're supposed to laugh at, an initial quest-giver who oversteps his bounds thinking he can go big.

If guilty and convicted, he'll certainly be getting what he deserves, but I can't help but thinking that all his hubris and dogged pursuit of power was really a man trying to get out from under a life he couldn't stand. Yee was a person who badly needed to escape.
You're kidding, right? The guy was gun-running, taking bribes, and aiding terrorists! Leland Yee is a scumbag criminal, pure and simple. I don't give a damn why he did it. He committed crimes, serious crimes, that helped facilitate the injuries and deaths of God knows how many people. But what really bothers me about this article in particular is that like every other one that reports on this duplicitous weasel is that never once is he referred to as a democrat. Not once. If he was a republican, I'm sure that little fact would have been mentioned at least a dozen times.

I mean, the hypocrisy of Lee is staggering. This guy is one of the most left-wing, anti-gun, soft on crime democrats in politics today. And that's what makes this almost comical: Yee is more than happy helping gang members and terrorists, but allowing legal, law-abiding citizens to have guns to defend themselves FROM THE VERY CRIMINALS YEE IS ARMING makes him quiver in terror at the thought of John Q Public being able to carry a concealed gun so he can defend himself should he run into one of Yee's buddies. But don't worry, Leland, I'm sure you'll get a pardon for all your anti-gun legislation in a couple years.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Worst run State in the US, ladies and gentlemen!

Yeah, we have MBA's and master's degrees crawling through every orifice while the streets don't get paved.

To be clear, every politician that bubbles up to the top of the San Francisco dogpile is a scumbag, this one just happens to be worse than the rest.

Jadedvet

Jul 1, 2013
Scariest bit is that this is just the one we caught. The FBI only came across Lee by coincidence. Also, this is a state senator. Imagine what the senators in Washington get up to.

I hope someone adapts this story for a video game - a violent one.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
Robert Rath said:

[H]e may indeed have some case for entrapment.

Read Full Article
He really doesn't. His predisposition to the criminal behavior within the scope of the investigation had been established. His associates, transactions, other activities are indicative of the very behavior being investigated and facilitated. Whether a criminal action was taken as facilitated by authorities or as facilitated by anyone else, the action was taken, regardless. The way t.v., film, and the internet generally convey entrapment (and how those accused fight it or successfully use it as part of their defense) - usually isn't how it actually works, either as a legal concept or in practice. Provided the evidence is good and holds up, Lee doesn't have a chance.

Good article. Thanks for the read.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Well it's a good thing this story is being carried far and wide for the american people to know the kind of corr... oh wait, nope.
Here's my post from back when this was posted in the forums:

tangoprime said:
My favorite part of this whole story is the part where CNN / MSNBC / ABC News still aren't carrying this story, 2 days later. MSNBC, upon searching "Leland Yee" briefly mentions it a few paragraphs into a story about political corruption, CNN returns absolutely no search results regarding the arrest or release on bond, and many other of the expected "news sources" aren't showing this story on homepage, US News, or Politics sections.

http://www.cnn.com/search/?query=leland+yee&x=0&y=0&primaryType=mixed&sortBy=relevance&intl=false
Lol, the violent video game bill is the most relevant search result for "Leland Yee" on CNN.
Can't go smearing the Democrat / anti-gun politicians, can we?

LysanderNemoinis

Nov 8, 2010
tangoprime said:
Well it's a good thing this story is being carried far and wide for the american people to know the kind of corr... oh wait, nope.

tangoprime said:
My favorite part of this whole story is the part where CNN / MSNBC / ABC News still aren't carrying this story, 2 days later. MSNBC, upon searching "Leland Yee" briefly mentions it a few paragraphs into a story about political corruption, CNN returns absolutely no search results regarding the arrest or release on bond, and many other of the expected "news sources" aren't showing this story on homepage, US News, or Politics sections.

http://www.cnn.com/search/?query=leland+yee&x=0&y=0&primaryType=mixed&sortBy=relevance&intl=false
Lol, the violent video game bill is the most relevant search result for "Leland Yee" on CNN.
No, we can't. The mass media covers up for them all the time, and even game journalists (really no different from the rest of the media) will almost never mention which party he belongs to and focuses most on his anti-games policies, not the fact he wants to strip Americans of legally bought guns while giving illegal guns to criminals and terrorists. But it's not hypocrisy to be anti-game and then run guns. That would be like saying you're against wearing fur but then eating meat. It would be hypocritical if it turned out he was a huge gamer. The fact he's a huge anti-gun nut is where the hypocrisy is.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
This is more like the sequel to Sleeping Dogs than anything I ever would have imagined.

LysanderNemoinis said:
No, we can't. The mass media covers up for them all the time, and even game journalists (really no different from the rest of the media) will almost never mention which party he belongs to and focuses most on his anti-games policies, not the fact he wants to strip Americans of legally bought guns while giving illegal guns to criminals and terrorists. But it's not hypocrisy to be anti-game and then run guns. That would be like saying you're against wearing fur but then eating meat. It would be hypocritical if it turned out he was a huge gamer. The fact he's a huge anti-gun nut is where the hypocrisy is.
He's not a hypocrite. Bigger restrictions mean bigger money. He's a good businessman. Sure, he screws all of us over, but think of the cash!

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
LysanderNemoinis said:
tangoprime said:

tangoprime said:

Yeah, I'm not seeing much about this in the media. Remember, they do have a plane crash story to continue beating into the ground.

It's got me thinking about California though. They seem to take pride in upholding what is essentially one party rule for the last many decades. It's a rich, educated, and beautiful state, yet they're almost bankrupt. Right now they have 3 democratic state senators suspended over misconduct. The legislature won't even take away their pay, not even the one who has already been convicted. Maybe it's time for Cali to let the other party in a bit. The system works better when there's someone who can check and balance you. I'm not even a Republican. This same crap happens when any party rules unchecked.

LysanderNemoinis

Nov 8, 2010
deathmothon said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
tangoprime said:

tangoprime said:

Yeah, I'm not seeing much about this in the media. Remember, they do have a plane crash story to continue beating into the ground.

It's got me thinking about California though. They seem to take pride in upholding what is essentially one party rule for the last many decades. It's a rich, educated, and beautiful state, yet they're almost bankrupt. Right now they have 3 democratic state senators suspended over misconduct. The legislature won't even take away their pay, not even the one who has already been convicted. Maybe it's time for Cali to let the other party in a bit. The system works better when there's someone who can check and balance you. I'm not even a Republican. This same crap happens when any party rules unchecked.
Amen. Things runs best when one side or the other is only in moderate majority and doesn't have a total deathgrip on a given state or the country as a whole. I mean, almost every state that's completely controlled by one side or the other are totally screwed. Though the biggest front runners are California, Illinois, Michigan, New York, etc.) are totally owned lockstep by democrats, and each of those states have ruined economies. California has Hollywood, for God's sake, and they're still hemorrhaging money like a nervous hemophiliac at a blood bank.

And as for the media, I almost forgot about the plane crash. But even if it wasn't, and there was absolutely nothing going on in the country, I'm sure the media would find something else to talk about other than one of their fellow liberals gun-running for gangs and terrorists.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Interesting, to be honest I'm surprised Treason hasn't come up yet. The terrorists he's buying guns from (ie giving them money they need to conduct their operations) apparently have the expressed goal of taking over The Philippines, the Philippines is a US territory (ie it's basically part of the USA, even if it's not a state, sort of like Puerto Rico or American Samoa). This does mention some kind of peace treaty was brokered between the terrorists and the government, but still this MILF group (I can barely use that acronym with a straight face, sounds like a joke from a spy parody) stands for what it stands for, even if it's allegedly not actively fighting us.

I thought more was going to come out of this over Chinese Intelligence, but that was always rumor and speculation. This does explain some of the rumors though. As I said in earlier posts if you do a search for "Chee Kung Tong" you'll see it being used in the name of a lot of businesses, as well as being tied to a fairly ancient masonic order (which spins off into all kinds of occult stuff). This at least mentioned the "legitimate face" of the organization. One of the big things (and why I remembered the name) was that allegedly CKT was long suspected of being at least partially a front for Chinese Intelligence and moving their agents, money, weapons, and building infrastructure in the US. Of course this is a domestic bust by the FBI, so other than the part where they followed Yee to his dealings over seas it makes sense they wouldn't have been digging into the international aspects of the rest of the business (at least not in a Yee-focused document). One thing I suspected and am sort of relieved to see didn't pan out was that it was going to turn out that Yee worked for the Chinese government (given that he was born in China, and was apparently working with Chinese organized crime suspected by some theorists to also be tied to Chinese intelligence) but apparently he's just a corrupt patsy, the way this portrays him I doubt he was trained/planted by anyone... which is a good thing.

That said, while it hasn't been done for a very long time, I do think treason should be on the plate. I mean I'm sorry, you don't have to be a spy for another country for that to make sense. The dude was still brokering arms deals that were putting money in the hands of a group with the stated goal of seizing control of a US territory.... it doesn't get much more treasonous than that. See if he was just a hypocrite and was say running guns between two gangs or something in the US I'd say the charges were fine, but when this goes as far as terrorist organizations with big goals, I think the guy needs to be put down (if he's convicted) I don't want there to be any chance of the guy getting put in some federal country club for a few years and then being let out. If the US was a bit more barbaric I'd say if he's convicted they should pretty much take his head off with a machete in front of CNN's cameras... sort of like MILF apparently did to some US soldiers... but we aren't, so I guess we won't see that bit of poetic justice, if he was convicted of treason he'd probably just spend the rest of his life on death row (but at least it would insure he'd never go free).

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
This was a very straightforward read, thank you. I'm still surprised at the lack of news coverage this story is getting though. Although, if my President and AG can give military grade full-auto rifles to the Mexican cartels without issue I guess it shouldn't surprise me...

Sordin

Aug 5, 2011
That was a damn exciting read. I'm kinda surprised that political fundraising escalated that quickly. Still, good all those FBI agents for a job well done.

LysanderNemoinis

Nov 8, 2010
Therumancer said:
That said, while it hasn't been done for a very long time, I do think treason should be on the plate. I mean I'm sorry, you don't have to be a spy for another country for that to make sense. The dude was still brokering arms deals that were putting money in the hands of a group with the stated goal of seizing control of a US territory.... it doesn't get much more treasonous than that. See if he was just a hypocrite and was say running guns between two gangs or something in the US I'd say the charges were fine, but when this goes as far as terrorist organizations with big goals, I think the guy needs to be put down (if he's convicted) I don't want there to be any chance of the guy getting put in some federal country club for a few years and then being let out. If the US was a bit more barbaric I'd say if he's convicted they should pretty much take his head off with a machete in front of CNN's cameras... sort of like MILF apparently did to some US soldiers... but we aren't, so I guess we won't see that bit of poetic justice, if he was convicted of treason he'd probably just spend the rest of his life on death row (but at least it would insure he'd never go free).
First, it seems highly unlikely treason will ever be mentioned, because not only is there a democrat that shares his views in the White House, and the republicans are too spineless to try and bring any sort of charges against him, especially since they don't want to be seen as calling a liberal a traitor...which Yee is.

Sarge034 said:
This was a very straightforward read, thank you. I'm still surprised at the lack of news coverage this story is getting though. Although, if my President and AG can give military grade full-auto rifles to the Mexican cartels without issue I guess it shouldn't surprise me...
What really won't surprise me is when he gets pardoned in a few years, serves little (if any) actual jail time, and is back with a government job in California or some other moon colony of a state within a decade. Hell, if the democrats can accept Robert Byrd (a former member of the KKK) in their party, they'll let in anybody.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Therumancer said:
Interesting, to be honest I'm surprised Treason hasn't come up yet. The terrorists he's buying guns from (ie giving them money they need to conduct their operations) apparently have the expressed goal of taking over The Philippines, the Philippines is a US territory (ie it's basically part of the USA, even if it's not a state, sort of like Puerto Rico or American Samoa).
Need to stop you right there, while I agree that the charge of Treason is warranted, providing weapons to a terrorist group with an intention to operate domestically does quite fully fulfill the 'giving aid to the enemy' portion of Treason, the Philippines is not US territory anymore. It declared it's Independence was granted it on July 4th, 1946.

RavenTail

Oct 12, 2010
Dang, sounds like something out of a crime drama.

In all seriousness though, I can't bring myself to feel sorry for the guy. Before, I only knew him as the jerk who tried to jump on the "Video games are bad" bandwagon. Now he's the very definition of hypocrite and a criminal. I can only imagine the harm he'd cause if he got into a position of greater power.

Also like others I'm surprised this has gotten so little news coverage. I normally kind of roll my eyes when republicans go on about liberal media twisting information (I tend to lean more towards the left myself) But this should be talked about and that fact he is a democrat shouldn't be the reason this gets so little media attention.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
LysanderNemoinis said:
What really won't surprise me is when he gets pardoned in a few years, serves little (if any) actual jail time, and is back with a government job in California or some other moon colony of a state within a decade. Hell, if the democrats can accept Robert Byrd (a former member of the KKK) in their party, they'll let in anybody.

(Et all)
You remember that news article that chapped your ass cheeks for demonizing all Republicans? You're doing the same thing to Democrats bud.

Anyway... I doubt he will get too much of a reduced sentence as there are some really bad charges being levied against him. I mean a Federal weapons charge is enough to fuck up your like for a good long while and that is just the appetizer. I don't think the Democrats will pull any type of strings for him because you know the Republicans are just waiting for someone to associate with him so they can use it as a weapon. I would not be surprised, however, if he was given the option to serve his time at one of those hotel prisons like Martha Stewart was. All in all, at least this fucker got caught. I think the hypocrisy makes me more angry than anything.