The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I'm probably late to the game sharing this 10-month-old video, but as it just yesterday came across my YouTube feed, I'm sharing it now. You're welcome.

"In an open world experience that doesn't so much as hold your hand as abandon you during childhood. Miyazaki said he was just going out for cigarettes; that was 45 years ago."

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm probably late to the game sharing this 10-month-old video, but as it just yesterday came across my YouTube feed, I'm sharing it now. You're welcome.

"In an open world experience that doesn't so much as hold your hand as abandon you during childhood. Miyazaki said he was just going out for cigarettes; that was 45 years ago."

God bless those wierdos at HGT.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
God bless those wierdos at HGT.
I appreciate their videos now and between 2019. Honest Trailers and screen junkies got really vindictive around the mid 2010s; especially almost anything DCEU related. So I had to stop watching them for a good minute. They're transition to Honest Game Trailers, while having different writers, carry that same vindictiveness early on and a lot of their early stuff I did not like. It wasn't until the late 2010 until they got their heads out of their butts about it and actually made videos that are fun and not just bashing on the games or the people who love them. The newer videos of course don't make up for what they did back then, but at least I find most of the newer content good or at least tolerable.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I don't believe that at all.
That’s cuz ur mind is blown yo!

Really though, it does sound kinda impossible; at least to anybody who thinks of random shit while they’re playing. I think my game would constantly look like one of those YouTubers who switch stuff around in the menus really fast but none of the choices would make any sense.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

I mean, all his points also apply to .... all of them? Albeit they might not be one shots if he wasn't playing his goofy challenge run with one hp.

3 minutes is a long time to make the point of "If you dodge the wrong way you'll get hit" and position it as some kind of unique facet of a particular enemy.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Yo what the fucking hell! Brain Controller! She's got a brain Controller yo!
I don't believe that at all.
I met a dev team once (as part of a brief contracted job I had) who had created a game/control setup that the user could interact with by thought. The game itself was exceptionally simple: something like guiding a fish to the top of a tank and avoiding falling rocks or something. This was about 5 or 6 years ago.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I met a dev team once (as part of a brief contracted job I had) who had created a game/control setup that the user could interact with by thought. The game itself was exceptionally simple: something like guiding a fish to the top of a tank and avoiding falling rocks or something. This was about 5 or 6 years ago.
Are you suggesting this might actually be possible with a game as complex as Elden Ring a mere 5 to 6 years later? I mean, Kinect never got off the ground as much more than a clunky inconvenience; we just soared past that bump in the road of technological advancement straight to interfacing via thought? That's like going from the invention of the wheel to commercial flight in less than a decade.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's like going from the invention of the wheel to commercial flight in less than a decade.
That's technology for you. Though unlike the Kinect, these people put actual thought into their product/invention and wasn't just chasing a trend.
I mean, all his points also apply to .... all of them? Albeit they might not be one shots if he wasn't playing his goofy challenge run with one hp.

3 minutes is a long time to make the point of "If you dodge the wrong way you'll get hit" and position it as some kind of unique facet of a particular enemy.
Seraphim has a lot of crazy challenge runs. This was just a typical Tuesday.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Are you suggesting this might actually be possible with a game as complex as Elden Ring a mere 5 to 6 years later? I mean, Kinect never got off the ground as much more than a clunky inconvenience; we just soared past that bump in the road of technological advancement straight to interfacing via thought? That's like going from the invention of the wheel to commercial flight in less than a decade.
I have no idea if its feasible; just thought it was a relevant tidbit.

But bearing in mind that people find ways of making game controllers out of carrots and playing Doom on ATMs and all sorts of whacky controller nonsense, I don't think it's too far beyond the realm of feasibility.

After all, we have prosthetics that can be manipulated by the same electrical impulses that would command a real flesh limb, and that all traces back to willing something to happen, resulting in that electrical impulse being sent. Who's to say it can't be mapped to something else?

EDIT:
That's like going from the invention of the wheel to commercial flight in less than a decade.
Oh, also consider how blindingly quickly scientific development can go when long-established barriers are overcome. It was less than a decade after the integrated circuit that we had the PC and the even the portable computer.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I have no idea if its feasible; just thought it was a relevant tidbit.

But bearing in mind that people find ways of making game controllers out of carrots and playing Doom on ATMs and all sorts of whacky controller nonsense, I don't think it's too far beyond the realm of feasibility.

After all, we have prosthetics that can be manipulated by the same electrical impulses that would command a real flesh limb, and that all traces back to willing something to happen, resulting in that electrical impulse being sent. Who's to say it can't be mapped to something else?
Yeah, I get that it might be feasible, but when one thinks just how subjective and different "thoughts" are from one individual to another, how can they be appreciably mapped to an interface that requires arguably objective input? One person thinks calmly "I need to use my Estus," while another is screaming "FUCKING HEAL!" in their head; how does a computer equate the two as the same desired action? Especially in a game as frenetic as Elden Ring where one has to juggle movement, attacking, blocking, dodging, not to mention menu navigation (often during combat, i.e.: switching spells, switching which flask to use, etc.) all in real, immediate time.

I'm not saying it will forever be impossible, but I am suggesting that video @CriticalGaming shared is not completely honest in what it represents.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah, I get that it might be feasible, but when one thinks just how subjective and different "thoughts" are from one individual to another, how can they be appreciably mapped to an interface that requires arguably objective input? One person thinks calmly "I need to use my Estus," while another is screaming "FUCKING HEAL!" in their head; how does a computer equate the two as the same desired action? Especially in a game as frenetic as Elden Ring where one has to juggle movement, attacking, blocking, dodging, not to mention menu navigation (often during combat, i.e.: switching spells, switching which flask to use, etc.) all in real, immediate time.

I'm not saying it will forever be impossible, but I am suggesting that video @CriticalGaming shared is not completely honest in what it represents.

Makes me think it’s more of a proof of concept kinda thing; especially the comment how each action takes hours of training. The effectiveness of a controller like this might boil down to mental discipline. AD/HD and/or OCD folks might end up wanting their money back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl