The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

Makes me think it’s more of a proof of concept kinda thing; especially the comment how each action takes hours of training. The effectiveness of a controller like this might boil down to mental discipline. AD/HD folks might end up wanting their money back.
I don't think it'd be just the ADHD folks. I was ready to unplug my Kinect within a week of getting my Xbox One at launch because of how frustrating it was to use reliably. You think I'm about to spend "hours" to learn to use my brain instead of a controller? You got me fucked up. I get it as a proof of concept, but we're a long ways away from EEGs being sold as gaming peripherals.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, I get that it might be feasible, but when one thinks just how subjective and different "thoughts" are from one individual to another, how can they be appreciably mapped to an interface that requires arguably objective input?
To be fair, thinking about a mathematical problem looks very different on an EEG compared to remembering someone's face.

But at this point it would be possible for a knowledgeable person to create and train a piece of software that could learn to detect the eeg signature associated with particular mental precepts. How accurate it would be, I'm not sure though.

The effectiveness of a controller like this might boil down to mental discipline. AD/HD and/or OCD folks might end up wanting their money back.
It's a common misconception that ADHD people can't concentrate on anything. It's more like you can't concentrate on anything that isn't rewarding but you concentrate too much on anything that is.

In fact, I could see some ADHD people getting really into stuff like this as and when the technology becomes viable.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
That's technology for you. Though unlike the Kinect, these people put actual thought into their product/invention and wasn't just chasing a trend.

Seraphim has a lot of crazy challenge runs. This was just a typical Tuesday.

Well sure. The last minute and a half is reasonably impressive. The title and the first 75% of the video seem kind of weird.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
79 pages in and I just finally bought the game ($35 on sale)!

I hated Dark Souls 1 but I adored Bloodborne. It sounds like a lot of the issues I have with DS1 isn't really present in Elden Ring so I'm very optimistic that I'm going to like it. I did get murdered a bunch by the first boss (or the first boss I ran into at least, Margit) but that's kind of expected in these games...

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
79 pages in and I just finally bought the game ($35 on sale)!

I hated Dark Souls 1 but I adored Bloodborne. It sounds like a lot of the issues I have with DS1 isn't really present in Elden Ring so I'm very optimistic that I'm going to like it. I did get murdered a bunch by the first boss (or the first boss I ran into at least, Margit) but that's kind of expected in these games...
I’d be interested to hear more about your hate/love relationship with Dark Souls and Bloodborne respectively. Guessing it mostly boils down to the neat setting and faster combat of the latter that’s favorable? The killer OST probably doesn’t hurt either.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I’d be interested to hear more about your hate/love relationship with Dark Souls and Bloodborne respectively. Guessing it mostly boils down to the neat setting and faster combat of the latter that’s favorable? The killer OST probably doesn’t hurt either.
My biggest complaint with Dark Souls 1 is that it was difficult but it didn't feel "fair".

I don't know if that was just a "me" problem with DS1 or if Fromsoft got better at it as Bloodborne would be what...game 5 in the Soulsborne stuff? Either way, a lot more experience under their belt to make the game feel much better.

There were some bosses in DS1 that I ran into that were tough but didn't feel fair, where it felt like everyone I ran into in Bloodborne was both tough AND fair (mostly...suck my ass Orphan!!!). Like some serpent dude in a big lake by a waterfall and some other big monster dude where there were stairs to the left you could run to and he has a few little wolf dog minion things with him. DS1 felt far more frustrating than fun where BB was far more fun than frustrating.

Now granted, part of it might be that I played BB first so I went in with a stupidly high expectations but the game didn't flow nearly as well in combat as BB did.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
My biggest complaint with Dark Souls 1 is that it was difficult but it didn't feel "fair".

I don't know if that was just a "me" problem with DS1 or if Fromsoft got better at it as Bloodborne would be what...game 5 in the Soulsborne stuff? Either way, a lot more experience under their belt to make the game feel much better.

There were some bosses in DS1 that I ran into that were tough but didn't feel fair, where it felt like everyone I ran into in Bloodborne was both tough AND fair (mostly...suck my ass Orphan!!!). Like some serpent dude in a big lake by a waterfall and some other big monster dude where there were stairs to the left you could run to and he has a few little wolf dog minion things with him. DS1 felt far more frustrating than fun where BB was far more fun than frustrating.

Now granted, part of it might be that I played BB first so I went in with a stupidly high expectations but the game didn't flow nearly as well in combat as BB did.
Ahh that makes sense. Well, the good news is you’ll be best served in Elden Ring by not playing it like Dark Souls as there are new tricks to the trade to take advantage of. Otherwise um, yeah it could wind up more frustrating than any of their past games.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I have powered my way through the first boss

I have it Highlighted on my Twitch thingy as I have friends who loved this game and for some reason want to watch me play it but every time I try to link it, it throws a fit and says the embed is misconfigured so here it is on The Youtube instead

And what do you think of the game thus far.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
And what do you think of the game thus far.
I am adoring this game so far

This feels like Dark Souls but what I would have expected from Dark Souls. Much more fluid swinging and combat. For the most part, everything seems pretty fair in fighting. There have been enemies I have struggled against but I've rarely ran into one and questioned "How the hell am I supposed to beat you?!?!?".

While I do once in a while get hits that I feel like are questionable, they probably were not actually questionable and I'm just salty.

Being able to just walk away and wander somewhere else when I run into trouble is also really nice. You certainly could do that in the other games but this place is HUGE. Just wandering around and exploring is fun in this game.

It also helps that I have buddies who are obsessed with this game acting as my guides as they showed me some of the little tricks and things that I didn't know about (like I didn't rest at the right Grace Site to have the lady show up to be my Maiden and they showed me how Ashes of War worked)

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I have powered my way through the first boss

I have it Highlighted on my Twitch thingy as I have friends who loved this game and for some reason want to watch me play it but every time I try to link it, it throws a fit and says the embed is misconfigured so here it is on The Youtube instead

You may find it more convenient to put your Spirit Ashes and other items in the Pouches submenu. You can put items in the pouches on the right hand side of the start menu and use them in game by holding Y/Triangle and pressing the relevant direction on the d-pad. The game doesn't really explain this for some reason.

Also I think the intended path is to complete Castle Morne and the rest of the Weeping Peninsula before pushing through Stormveil Castle. There's a lot of healing upgrades to pick up in the area, and a reward for beating Castle Morne's boss that I think you'll find suitable. The Weeping Peninsula can be found south of Limgrave.

Reactions: tippy2k2

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
You may find it more convenient to put your Spirit Ashes and other items in the Pouches submenu. You can put items in the pouches on the right hand side of the start menu and use them in game by holding Y/Triangle and pressing the relevant direction on the d-pad. The game doesn't really explain this for some reason.

Also I think the intended path is to complete Castle Morne and the rest of the Weeping Peninsula before pushing through Stormveil Castle. There's a lot of healing upgrades to pick up in the area, and a reward for beating Castle Morne's boss that I think you'll find suitable. The Weeping Peninsula can be found south of Limgrave.
My Elden Ring Guide Sensai has told me that I should go South before I keep trying to go through the castle as there are three flask upgrade thingies or something down there.

So I will be heading down south on my next stream. I've already gotten through some of that Castle place but I'm struggling with some of the enemies here because my healing items are so weak. So that was his recommendation, which it sounds like he's sending me where you're sending me.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

There actually is an info section but it’s (surprise) kinda hidden. In the Inventory screen, tab L1 or RB once and about half way down the list is an “About X” list, among further details about other things found in game.

But yeah, the first four pouches are good for things like the whistle, lantern, telescope, Torrent food, rune arcs, etc. Basically any staple items that don’t need to clutter the Quick items slots. Another tip about that which might be more common knowledge from earlier games is holding the directional button used for items and spells will quick select the first one.

Last edited: