The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Larval tears, yes. Oh, have you checked out a walking mausoleum yet? They are useful.
So I have a fun story for you alright. After waiting for 3 hours I jumped on it successfully, only to land in its upper strata and dismount cause I was afraid the Torrent would veer off the roof. Thing is you can't resummon him up there for some reason, maybe cause the game thinks you're in a tight area or something, and it was way too high to jump off of on foot, so I had to teleport back to a grace site and come over again, wait for 3 years for the building to walk over to the protruding tombstones, then jump on it again and go to the lower strata. Thing is the door wouldn't open and I couldn't find anything interactable, and at that point I got pissed so I just started attacking things hoping to find a fake wall or something. Thankfully in my rage I smacked some skulls in the wall which I guess was the trick behind it cause after I noticed them vanishing I kept hitting more of em and eventually the thing finally stopped walking around and I could go inside.

Sometimes choosing violence is the answer lol.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So I dipped my toe into the Demons Souls Remake today and basically I realized there's a fair bit of call back in the ER intro to the Demons Souls intro. Among other things, starting in a dark void to cross a fog to reach the game world.

And of course, the narrator reading off some of the key players. I know that's common in Souls games but in this case it wasn't just the bosses.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
So you know those get away from me explosions some bosses do when they enter phase 2. Don't you hate those. Turns out my new favorite art works to shut em down too.

Man this build is fun lol.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
See the one boss I think is bullshit, and Im about 1/5th of the way through the game, is the Fallingstar Beast. Because its fucking immune to physical damage. So if you aren't spec'd for magic, you're fucked.
I had a +11 Katana and even a fully charged R2 attack did some 75 damage. Out of some 7,000 health. I had to call in a friend to use his magician and he was able to practically solo the bastard because black fire was just tearing through him.
And it doesn't feel like a challenge of a boss, it feels like a way to punish players who play one way. And Im sure there are bosses out there all but immune to magic who punish magic users.
We’ll he’s made of rock so much like the dudes in the mines, heavier blunt strike weapons are best for melee. I actually took down all three of these bastards with the Meteoric Ore Blade; also a katana but being infused with space rock it’s kinda meant for stuff like this. Also for the two that are outdoors it’s generally safer to do drive by’s with Torrent since these suckers can close distance quickly.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
> And Im sure there are bosses out there all but immune to magic who punish magic users.

Renala was my first such encounter. I was determined to do a magic/dex build and when she started zipping around with her homing magic missiles I couldn't touch her for shit.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
> And Im sure there are bosses out there all but immune to magic who punish magic users.

Renala was my first such encounter. I was determined to do a magic/dex build and when she started zipping around with her homing magic missiles I couldn't touch her for shit.

So what you’re saying is you were playing a 100% caster, or didn’t have a backup Dex-based weapon for melee? See I’m wondering because I’ve never more than dabbled with magic, basically for support spells at most in previous Souls games. So I really am clueless as to if that’s ever been possible before.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
So what you’re saying is you were playing a 100% caster, or didn’t have a backup Dex-based weapon for melee? See I’m wondering because I’ve never more than dabbled with magic, basically for support spells at most in previous Souls games. So I really am clueless as to if that’s ever been possible before.
Oh no, I was melee + caster, with a rapier-style weapon at the time, and then a broadsword or something. Problem with Renala was that I couldn't get close to her with my stupid little sword when she zooms a mile away, casts homing magic then summons freaking monster ghosts.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Oh no, I was melee + caster, with a rapier-style weapon at the time, and then a broadsword or something. Problem with Renala was that I couldn't get close to her with my stupid little sword when she zooms a mile away, casts homing magic then summons freaking monster ghosts.
I found that you could only really get close to her when she shot the bit straight beam or the six slow homing shots, all the other stuff you wanna just run the hell away from. And the homing shots were weird to dodge, you couldn't run to avoid em cause they were very slow, you had to walk into em and roll through em at the last minute. Also jumping goes a long way in closing distance, been having a ton of fun with it. Jumping here almost as much as I did in Sekiro cause no matter how heavy or slow your weapon is, the air attack it does is always the same speed.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I found that you could only really get close to her when she shot the bit straight beam or the six slow homing shots, all the other stuff you wanna just run the hell away from. And the homing shots were weird to dodge, you couldn't run to avoid em cause they were very slow, you had to walk into em and roll through em at the last minute. Also jumping goes a long way in closing distance, been having a ton of fun with it. Jumping here almost as much as I did in Sekiro cause no matter how heavy or slow your weapon is, the air attack it does is always the same speed.
Or if you use a spirit summon. I used a summon so that she would jump away from the summon....right towards me and I was like, "Gotcha BV**Ch!" and she died. Good times.

Reactions: Silvanus

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Or if you use a spirit summon. I used a summon so that she would jump away from the summon....right towards me and I was like, "Gotcha BV**Ch!" and she died. Good times.
Oh yeah summons kinda break the game in all sorts of ways cause enemies aggro them and forget about you so you get to hit em for free once or twice. I really don't think they developed this AI for more than one player chars lol.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Kinda spoilery but also a few good gameplay tips -

00:00 Rare Astel Attack
00:56 Fallingstar Beast's Stages of Evolution
02:15 Hardest Rise Puzzle
02:59 Invisible Paths
04:27 Ways to Cross Invisible Paths
04:43 Attacking at Ledges
05:35 Items Behind the Sanctum
06:37 Weapon Scaling Secret
07:45 Soap
08:40 Deadly Rot
09:23 Deadly Poison
09:54 Merchant Violin
10:22 Merchant Feathers
10:54 How to Pause in Elden Ring
11:34 Rare Accords
12:13 Backup Shielding
12:39 Backstep Attacks
13:30 Invade Spamming
14:02 Songs of the Two Fingers
14:57 Scabbards Look Nice
15:50 The Jar of Warriors
17:10 Every Ruin Has an Underground
17:57 Flask QoL Changes
18:21 Rune QoL Changes
18:40 How to Beat Radahn at Low Level

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Oh yeah summons kinda break the game in all sorts of ways cause enemies aggro them and forget about you so you get to hit em for free once or twice. I really don't think they developed this AI for more than one player chars lol.
FROM has never really known how to balance enemies/bosses around Summons, but I'm fine with that because I'm not that good at these games and sometimes I need a moment in these fights to hear to reposition, which I find almost impossible to do if a giant fuck is constantly breathing down my neck.

"Hey, play with my friend while I heal up, I'll be right there, okay". I'm not ashamed to admit I use summons on the regular in all of these games that allow it. I think BB was the only game I played 90% solo because Sony charges you extra to use their network for the MP stuff, whereas PC basically lets you do it for free. I finally plopped down a month for the PS network when I got stuck on Maria but made it through the entire game up to that point solo.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
FROM has never really known how to balance enemies/bosses around Summons, but I'm fine with that because I'm not that good at these games and sometimes I need a moment in these fights to hear to reposition, which I find almost impossible to do if a giant fuck is constantly breathing down my neck.

"Hey, play with my friend while I heal up, I'll be right there, okay". I'm not ashamed to admit I use summons on the regular in all of these games that allow it. I think BB was the only game I played 90% solo because Sony charges you extra to use their network for the MP stuff, whereas PC basically lets you do it for free. I finally plopped down a month for the PS network when I got stuck on Maria but made it through the entire game up to that point solo.
Maria is all about the gun counters, she kinda crumbled to that.

And yeah it's basically a figure if you're majorly stuck and stopped having fun. Been there from the start too so it's kinda supposed to be there. I generally just solo stuff cause I am very competitive but I have been using Aurelia (the shiny jellyfish) in this game here and there just as a source of illumination.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland

And yeah it's basically a figure if you're majorly stuck and stopped having fun. Been there from the start too so it's kinda supposed to be there. I generally just solo stuff cause I am very competitive but I have been using Aurelia (the shiny jellyfish) in this game here and there just as a source of illumination.
Yeah, I was never that good at the gun counters, though a hell of a lot better at those then any of the Souls parries(which I routinely try once per game when I'm getting fucking desperate at some boss, realize my brain isn't properly wired to pull off parries anywhere close to consistently and go back to rolling and hitting shit). Supposedly the guy at the top of castle cainhurst is super easy if you parry him but I couldn't gun counter him right either.

I keep telling myself I'm gonna do a playthrough where I learn to fucking parry shit but I'd actully have to replay one of the Souls games first and I haven't even beaten all of them yet(I've still got Demons Souls and whatever ER DLC is coming down the pipe). Yes, you heard it here, love these games and have never done a 2nd playthrough of any of them. Which I think about every time I hear Yathzee talk about Dark Souls is his comfort game but only the first one and he goes through most of it over and over again but still hasn't played the DLC for BB or DS3 because he apparently just doesn't like them that much to check out any new content?

I guess it's because new content beats replaying the same content over and over again pretty much every time, at least for me because then I feel more like an explorer and less like a tourist. Also because I rather liked the DLC for DS3 and BB and would have hated sleeping on them in favor of replaying DS1 over and over.

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Yeah, I was never that good at the gun counters, though a hell of a lot better at those then any of the Souls parries(which I routinely try once per game when I'm getting fucking desperate at some boss, realize my brain isn't properly wired to pull off parries anywhere close to consistently and go back to rolling and hitting shit). Supposedly the guy at the top of castle cainhurst is super easy if you parry him but I couldn't gun counter him right either.

I keep telling myself I'm gonna do a playthrough where I learn to fucking parry shit but I'd actully have to replay one of the Souls games first and I haven't even beaten all of them yet(I've still got Demons Souls and whatever ER DLC is coming down the pipe). Yes, you heard it here, love these games and have never done a 2nd playthrough of any of them. Which I think about every time I hear Yathzee talk about Dark Souls is his comfort game but only the first one and he goes through most of it over and over again but still hasn't played the DLC for BB or DS3 because he apparently just doesn't like them that much to check out any new content?

I guess it's because new content beats replaying the same content over and over again pretty much every time, at least for me because then I feel more like an explorer and less like a tourist. Also because I rather liked the DLC for DS3 and BB and would have hated sleeping on them in favor of replaying DS1 over and over.
Parrying in BB is way easier than in souls because you still shoot em even if you mess up your timing so you may not get hit, but you also have to be using one of the faster pistols to make your life easier. I just used the starting pistol for most of the game up until I got the one with the longer barrel from the vampires.

As for souls itself, parrying is really not that good because the reward for it is iffy, the punishment huge, and you don't even know if you can parry all the things since random enemies or bosses are immune to it. That being said, if you wanna learn it you'd wanna use something like a buckler or the dagger+greatsword weapon in DS3 or something focused on parrying like that to have a chance and go crazy all in on DEX so your crits instakill most things, trying for it with a larger shield defeats the point, which I think is the error a lot of people make.

Basically it's all risk-reward, if you will go for the parry route, you wanna maximize your reward and go all in so equipping a shield that blocks better is a waste since it just adds weight cause you will wanna just be parrying everything anyways. It's definitely doable, it's just a different playstyle entirely.

As for me, I did an even more weird playstyle of just trading hits with the enemy and hitting em harder than they hit me in souls cause it felt cooler lol. I was mainly focusing on how much stagger and damage my things did, if I found an ultra greatsword that knocked things down with a charged attack I was solid for the rest of the game. As long as I came up on top on dps or the stagger gave me enough time to heal up it was worth it. STR builds are fun.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

I like the jellyfish too for baiting fools to take the heat off, and it has a good health pool when fully leveled. Also I went the whole game without knowing how neat the jellyfish great shield is. Not only does it have 100% physical damage negation but its skill gives a 20% damage boost when in use. Good for those hairy mob situations or just trodding though unfamiliar places.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Cainhurst boss on the roof basically taught me to parry, since it’s the only way I could ever beat him both NG and NG+. I never bothered parrying much in Souls besides some of those knights with high poise that took a long time to kill. Maybe a boss here and there that had a big window for it. But yeah, Bloodborne encourages it more and seemed to be more effective especially in the chalice dungeons.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I saved the parrying for Salt and S games, where it wasn't reliant on the 3d animation they decided to give you (although it also works in Dark Souls OG because the hitboxes are blobs).

The problem with DS3/ER (I never tried in DS2), is that the parry is a tiny hitbox on your left hand going outwards and the enemy will just attack from the right, or do ground ponds or whatever else and consequently much of it is not parryable without absurd knowledge of positioning.

(Even replaying Dragons Dogma, the parry there is a crossover your chest which works out better, despite having a tighter timing window)