The short-lived DC Cinematic Universe may be done

Apr 17, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Palindromemordnilap said:
Although I do find slightly ironic that you like both Kingdom Come and yet also like Dawn of Justice...exactly the sort of "mature" story Kingdom Come was lambasting
Because as I have said MANY, MANY, MANY times in this forum, I truly, honestly believe that I don't think Dawn of Justice or any DC movie as of now are no where near as bad as everyone overrates them to be.

Once again I explained that I have seen worse from comic books themselves and I get no agreement in my thinking.
The fact that you think its good doesn't in any way alter the fact that its exactly what Kingdom Come opposes and lampoons. In Dawn of Justice Batman and Superman are basically both just Magog now. And Dawn of Justice revels in exactly the kind of mindless destruction that Kingdom Come always portrays as a bad thing.

And what relevance does "there's worse in comic book!" have to the argument? Yes there is. So what? Why would that affect my opinion of Dawn of Justice?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
undeadsuitor said:
And yet the teaser is there.
Again, can you link to the teaser?

And don't say "go search for it," I have - it's a slew of fake trailers on YouTube.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
So it seems the teaser was a fake, and the deconstruction of teaser info videos that paired with it were actually referring to a magazine article from last week. Guess that's what I get for not being interested in watching them. My bad. Would have been nice to catch Zontar being objectively wrong though, because then he just vanishes without another word.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Elijin said:
Would have been nice to catch Zontar being objectively wrong though, because then he just vanishes without another word.
Could you imagine how long threats in the basement would be if everyone did that? There'd probably not be many threats that get a second page.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
After he danced in front of the villain right after Groots death, Star Lord lost all sympathy from me...

And this is what people wants in Superhero movies. Corny humor, self-aware athmosphere, and not take itself too seriously becuase "Their superheroes dude, stories that were made for children"

Because as I have said MANY, MANY, MANY times in this forum, I truly, honestly believe that I don't think Dawn of Justice or any DC movie as of now are no where near as bad as everyone overrates them to be.
You're missing the perfectly placed piece of music and what it means to Star-Lord. It is also the thing that perfectly fits what that character probably would do in that situation as well.

I want superhero movies that fit the characters and world whether it be Guardians or Watchmen. There isn't one type of be-all and end-all superhero movie; they can literally be any genre (war movie, western, comedy, action blockbuster, drama, character study, noir, etc.). There's room for "fun" and humor in anything because people want to laugh and have fun and superheros are still human beings. Even Watchmen has laughs. When you get different characters together, that alone will naturally create moments of humor just via basic interactions like Green Lantern and Batman [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTEKkSFtcJE]. I don't think many people are nearly that big on the Marvel movies as you think they are. It really wasn't very long ago at all that superhero movies were quite shit and you wished that the movie would be just half as good as Marvel's average flick. There's probably only like 5 Marvel movies that I think are actually really good.

I'm a pretty big Snyder fan; Watchmen is my favorite comic book movie and I even like Sucker Punch. But when I walked out of the theater after seeing BvS, I was literally the most confounded I've ever been after watching a movie, "how did this get made?" I asked myself because the wrong decision was made literally every single time. It was quite a unique kind of bad because it came from people wanting to make something really good (unlike some shitty Syfy movie) but failing as hard as possible without knowing they were failing.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Phoenixmgs said:
Samtemdo8 said:
After he danced in front of the villain right after Groots death, Star Lord lost all sympathy from me...

And this is what people wants in Superhero movies. Corny humor, self-aware athmosphere, and not take itself too seriously becuase "Their superheroes dude, stories that were made for children"

You're missing the perfectly placed piece of music and what it means to Star-Lord. It is also the thing that perfectly fits what that character probably would do in that situation as well.

I want superhero movies that fit the characters and world whether it be Guardians or Watchmen. There isn't one type of be-all and end-all superhero movie; they can literally be any genre (war movie, western, comedy, action blockbuster, drama, character study, noir, etc.). There's room for "fun" and humor in anything because people want to laugh and have fun and superheros are still human beings. Even Watchmen has laughs. When you get different characters together, that alone will naturally create moments of humor just via basic interactions like Green Lantern and Batman [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTEKkSFtcJE]. I don't think many people are nearly that big on the Marvel movies as you think they are. It really wasn't very long ago at all that superhero movies were quite shit and you wished that the movie would be just half as good as Marvel's average flick. There's probably only like 5 Marvel movies that I think are actually really good.

I'm a pretty big Snyder fan; Watchmen is my favorite comic book movie and I even like Sucker Punch. But when I walked out of the theater after seeing BvS, I was literally the most confounded I've ever been after watching a movie, "how did this get made?" I asked myself because the wrong decision was made literally every single time. It was quite a unique kind of bad because it came from people wanting to make something really good (unlike some shitty Syfy movie) but failing as hard as possible without knowing they were failing.
I know youtubers who would disagree with you and would like you to see it:

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:

They talked about Man of Steel for like 90% of the video. Like I said, I think Synder is a good director and Man of Steel is easily the best Superman movie (at least when not counting animated movies) because Superman 1 and 2 really aren't that good, 3 and 4 are horrible, and Superman Returns is at best OK (that's probably overly generous too). Also, saying Snyder doesn't understand comic book characters is kinda odd to say regardless of how good/bad someone thinks his movies are because I don't think he has any writing credits on any of his comic book movies. Thus, I don't think it's really Snyder as the reason for the characters being good or bad.

The many many problems of BvS are never even touched in the video/podcast. The whole 1st hour or so of the movie is completely pointless because it's just revolves around Lex trying to make (in the most idiotic ways possible) Superman look bad, which is what Man of Steel setup already. The way Lex is portrayed isn't inherently bad itself, but the execution (script and acting) was horrible, there's points when Lex can't even complete simple sentences and makes Trump look articulate in comparison. I hated Gene Hackman's Lex who came off like an incompetent buffoon and Einsenberg's Lex is a pretentious incompetent buffoon. The problems with Batman doesn't have to do with him killing people because realistically incapacitating someone over killing them is highly risky plus it was an older Batman as well. The problem was Batman straight-up just giving zero fucks about human life. BvS Batman was closest to Flashpoint Thomas Wayne Batman, who are obviously different characters. And, Wonder Woman is even shown as a better detective than Batman. In the video podcast they talked about how Superman was supposed to represent hope to turn a downtrodden Batman back around yet Superman is completely devoid of hope in the entire movie. It's a great idea and concept for a movie but executed about as unfathomably bad as it could have been. Like I said, the movie is filled with great ideas just executed in the worst way possible, it's a special kind of bad that I don't think will ever be surpassed.

We really did need 2 prior movies for BvS to work. We needed another Superman movie where he overcomes the aftermath of the events of MoS to not only find his own footing as Superman as well as become the hopeful Superman. We needed a standalone Batman movie showing the cause of Batman becoming what BvS Batman is. It's fine to just plug in Batman into a new universe if it's the Batman everyone knows but if you're doing a different kind of Batman you need to show how he got there (just showing a Robin costume doesn't work). Marvel just plugged in Spiderman into Civil War and it worked basically seamlessly because it was the Spiderman everyone knows. We also needed Bats and Supes to actually fight because they wanted to over ideological differences not because Lex kidnapped someone's mom and forced them to fight, Supes not wanting to fight made the fight so lame.

And all that is not even talking about all the bullshit like Zod's dead body + Lex's blood = Doomsday or getting a Batman origin story AGAIN literally for a later plot point (and that plot point being asinine itself).

minkus_draconus

Sep 8, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
I did not notice you mention them but most of the Netflix Marvel shows to me would fit the mold of what you want in super hero stuff. Especially Punisher. Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage have a lot of the elements you are looking for as well. Jury is still out on Iron Fist (Season 2 seems to be an improvement so far) but the fist season did have some @#%@ed up $#|t.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
minkus_draconus said:
Samtemdo8 said:
I did not notice you mention them but most of the Netflix Marvel shows to me would fit the mold of what you want in super hero stuff. Especially Punisher. Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage have a lot of the elements you are looking for as well. Jury is still out on Iron Fist (Season 2 seems to be an improvement so far) but the fist season did have some @#%@ed up $#|t.
Like I said, I am a DC Fanboy through and through and for the most part I never found Marvel's world interesting enough. I got so invested in DC's stories that I read from Comic Books that is gonna be hard to delve into another MASSIVE UNIVERSE.

Like if I ever wanted to get into Marvel deeper I rather read the comic books themselves and I don't know where to begin with that.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Phoenixmgs said:
Samtemdo8 said:

They talked about Man of Steel for like 90% of the video. Like I said, I think Synder is a good director and Man of Steel is easily the best Superman movie (at least when not counting animated movies) because Superman 1 and 2 really aren't that good, 3 and 4 are horrible, and Superman Returns is at best OK (that's probably overly generous too). Also, saying Snyder doesn't understand comic book characters is kinda odd to say regardless of how good/bad someone thinks his movies are because I don't think he has any writing credits on any of his comic book movies. Thus, I don't think it's really Snyder as the reason for the characters being good or bad.

The many many problems of BvS are never even touched in the video/podcast. The whole 1st hour or so of the movie is completely pointless because it's just revolves around Lex trying to make (in the most idiotic ways possible) Superman look bad, which is what Man of Steel setup already. The way Lex is portrayed isn't inherently bad itself, but the execution (script and acting) was horrible, there's points when Lex can't even complete simple sentences and makes Trump look articulate in comparison. I hated Gene Hackman's Lex who came off like an incompetent buffoon and Einsenberg's Lex is a pretentious incompetent buffoon. The problems with Batman doesn't have to do with him killing people because realistically incapacitating someone over killing them is highly risky plus it was an older Batman as well. The problem was Batman straight-up just giving zero fucks about human life. BvS Batman was closest to Flashpoint Thomas Wayne Batman, who are obviously different characters. And, Wonder Woman is even shown as a better detective than Batman. In the video podcast they talked about how Superman was supposed to represent hope to turn a downtrodden Batman back around yet Superman is completely devoid of hope in the entire movie. It's a great idea and concept for a movie but executed about as unfathomably bad as it could have been. Like I said, the movie is filled with great ideas just executed in the worst way possible, it's a special kind of bad that I don't think will ever be surpassed.

We really did need 2 prior movies for BvS to work. We needed another Superman movie where he overcomes the aftermath of the events of MoS to not only find his own footing as Superman as well as become the hopeful Superman. We needed a standalone Batman movie showing the cause of Batman becoming what BvS Batman is. It's fine to just plug in Batman into a new universe if it's the Batman everyone knows but if you're doing a different kind of Batman you need to show how he got there (just showing a Robin costume doesn't work). Marvel just plugged in Spiderman into Civil War and it worked basically seamlessly because it was the Spiderman everyone knows. We also needed Bats and Supes to actually fight because they wanted to over ideological differences not because Lex kidnapped someone's mom and forced them to fight, Supes not wanting to fight made the fight so lame.

And all that is not even talking about all the bullshit like Zod's dead body + Lex's blood = Doomsday or getting a Batman origin story AGAIN literally for a later plot point (and that plot point being asinine itself).
And that's the sad thing about the whole development of BvS is that there WAS going to be a Man of Steel 2. But Warner Bros. got cold feet with MoS box office returns that rather do that and make a Superman sequel, they just wanted to put Batman in there and others to get the team-up movies going now because "That is what is making a lot of money now"

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
minkus_draconus said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Like I said, I am a DC Fanboy through and through and for the most part I never found Marvel's world interesting enough. I got so invested in DC's stories that I read from Comic Books that is gonna be hard to delve into another MASSIVE UNIVERSE.

Like if I ever wanted to get into Marvel deeper I rather read the comic books themselves and I don't know where to begin with that.
"When will I see some superhero content that matches the theme and style Im looking for!"

Have you tried DC animated works, or Netflix Marvel adaptions? They fit your criteria.

"When will I see some DC, live action, film content that matches the theme and style Im looking for!"

I dont actually think you can be pleased on this topic Sam, I think you just want to complain.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Elijin said:
Samtemdo8 said:
minkus_draconus said:
Samtemdo8 said:

"When will I see some superhero content that matches the theme and style Im looking for!"

Have you tried DC animated works, or Netflix Marvel adaptions? They fit your criteria.

"When will I see some DC, live action, film content that matches the theme and style Im looking for!"

I dont actually think you can be pleased on this topic Sam, I think you just want to complain.
1. They do fit my critera more or less.

2. Because I am truly alone in my stance.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moY78qMJuxM

On a slightly related note (since it came up), the Captain Marvel trailer has been released.

It sucks. :(

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Hawki said:
On a slightly related note (since it came up), the Captain Marvel trailer has been released.

How so?

Not that it's blowing my skirt up, but overall it just looks like typical Marvel i.e. generic popcorn fare. It's not like it's the Ghostbusters '16 or Titans TV series trailer.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
How so?

Not that it's blowing my skirt up, but overall it just looks like typical Marvel i.e. generic popcorn fare. It's not like it's the Ghostbusters '16 or Titans TV series trailer.
I was just wondering the same. Maybe it's because I don't follow the comics, but it doesn't look any worse than any other marvel trailer. There aren't that many explosions, perhaps, but surely people are past that?

Brie Larson gives me hope at the very least.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
Hawki said:

How so?

Did you see the newest Titans clip with Jason Todd?