The shortest single player campaign you've played?

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Gunner 51 said:
The Youth Counselor said:
Both have been brought up a lot, but I think neither of them should really count or at least compare to the likes everyone brought up which are mostly singleplayer AAA games.

Portal is a short game treated as an extra gift for those who wanted the HL2 series and Team Fortress 2 in a package.

Left 4 Dead is a multiplayer focused game that's supposed to be extended incrementally and replayed.

Yeah, there's a single player and a campaign but does it really compare to full priced AAA single player campaign focused titles with really short playtimes such as:

*Assassin's Creed
*God of War
*Condemned 2
*Halo 2
*Call of Duty: Black Ops
*SWAT 4
*Metal Gear Solid 4 (Without watching cutscenes)
*Medal of Honor (2010)
You sure have a point with CoD: Black Ops - though you can say the same for all the recent Call of Duty games. (Including World at War.)
It actually took me a few days to beat 1 + United Offensive and 2. It took me two days to get through each Modern Warfare installment.

I never played any of the others though.

And I just remembered a few more titles:

*Batman: Return of the Joker (SNES and Gameboy)
*Any Light Gun Game/Rail Shooter
*Mafia 2
*Batman: Arkham Asylum (Without hunting for Riddles)
*Max Payne 2
*Crackdown
*50 Cent: Blood on the Sand
*Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
*Splinter Cell: Conviction

Firia said:
The Youth Counselor said:
Yeah, there's a single player and a campaign but does it really compare to full priced AAA single player campaign focused titles with really short playtimes such as:

*Assassin's Creed
I think it's interesting to include a sandbox game in this. Considering all the missions you could choose to do, extending playtime. Sure you could choose not to, but that's sort of like fudging the numbers a bit. Like playing Oblivion, and claiming it's only got 2 hours of play time cause you breezed through the main story without exploring the world at large.
Eh...most of the sidequests in the first one felt just generic and unplotted. All there was were collecting viewpoints and items (which felt very unrewarding and pointless and playing the game regularly gives you plenty of Animus upgrades regardless) and saving random civilians.

Other sandbox titles such as Batman: Arkham Asylum, The GTA series, The Fallout Series, The Mass Effect series, Deus Ex, Vampire: The Masquerade, and Mafia I gave a lot of incentive to explore and do side missions. You gained many more rewards and the quests not entirely relevant to the main plot/conflict added a lot to the story.

In Assassin's Creed 1, it just felt like getting points. The sequels on the other hand improved greatly with side quests.

Ouroboros0977

Jan 1, 2009
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl, 1 hour 12 minutes and 16 seconds to get true ending. Oh...don't speedruns count?

*Edit* And that is nowhere near fastest, fastest I have seen is about 25 minutes to get a false ending.

Ailia

Nov 11, 2010
Portal took me two hours. Great game...

'part from that these days I can beat Resident Evil 4 in about 5 hours. I think I've played it too much.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
DIGIMON BATTLE SPIRIT 2.
Beat it in under 13 minutes. I never figured out how to digivolve either.

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
Trogdor1138 said:
I was just curious about what the shortest games people have played. Was it underwhelming or was it actually a good length? Did you replay it, how long was it etc.?

My shortest are probably Mirrors Edge, Megaman X8, Killzone 2. They come to mind at the moment, but I'll think of more later. They all disappointed me and left me feeling like I wasted my time.
See, that mentality kinda bothers me. If they didn't take too much time, how can you feel like you wasted your time?

I played Oblivion for 150+ hours and, sadly, only enjoyed maybe 10 of those hours. I feel like I wasted my time.

Now Portal probably took me 6 hours to beat but I enjoyed 5 and a half hours of it.

Quality over quantity.

To answer your question, off the top of my head the most recent game I can think of that felt really short was Vanquish. It wasn't underwhelming to me, but it was over rather quickly. I'm in the middle of Killzone 3 and it's moving along very quickly.

Kramcake2516

Feb 8, 2010
Defanalty Halo ODST completed in in about 2-3 hours even on legandary only added another hour or two.

Zinaxos

Feb 9, 2009
Mirror's Edge.
First Playthrough- 4hrs
Second playthrough- 2 1/2 hrs - 3hrs
Great game though, one of my all time favorites.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
Modern Warfare 2, it took one afternoon at a buddies place. I was so glad that I had only rented it.

Hussmann54

Dec 14, 2009
If I recall, the first army of two was pretty short, around 5 hours at best. (maybe a joke about "two hours?" Anyone? Anyone?... BAH!...)

The second one slightly justified itself (about 8 hours)

monkey jesus

Jan 29, 2009
I tend to really try and take my time in my first run through of a single player game.

Dark Void get's my vote, just because you felt like it was only half finished.

the Tadman

Apr 15, 2009
Duty Calls.

Though it is one of the shorter games out there, the amount of polish, depth and innovation brought tears to my eyes. I have yet to play a shorter or better game, than this little gem of god.

Ramin 123

Apr 23, 2010
Just finished the Blops campaign and in terms of time spent altogether because I've had the game since it was released but never bothered with the campaign. All I can say is the moment Kennedy says Lock and Load was the only moment I enjoyed the single player...I mean even Dead Ops was more entertaining.

Every bit of that campaign was rewritten from either a film or previous Call of Duty games, I just can't get my head round how lazy a developer can be and get away with it but I bought it too so I guess I can't complain. It's just a case of there's no games out that I really want..anyone else feeling a dry patch this past...forever? (No innuendos please).