The Simpsons Get Even Yellow-er With Official LEGO Set

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
8-Bit_Jack said:
the fuck? So, FIREFLY is too adult for Lego, but the SIMPSONS gets a green light?

The show that has an unrepentant alcoholic hero?
That celebrates the insane and violent acts of destruction of its cast?
That promotes JAZZ?!
Its probably because the fanbase for Firefly is mostly adults where the one for Simpsons is both adults and kids (and to be honest its a shit ton larger so you know that probably even if it was just adults it could still be made)

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Toy think stepping on a brick of Lego hurts? Just imagine the pain if you step on Lisa's head.

I still want it though. Looks very cool.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I remember a time when LEGO did it's OWN sets, without any kind of movie or TV tie-in bullshit whatsoever. Back then, the sets were far more imaginative than these licensed ones will ever be.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Ldude893 said:
Product Placement said:
Steven Bogos said:
The Simpsons pets Snowball and Santa's Little Helper appear in the art at the top of the box, but don't seem to be in the set anywhere (unless Snowball is the black thing Maggie is holding).
...is that a gun?
Considering the running joke around Maggie ever since "Who Shot Mr. Burns", I like to think it is.
I was thinking the same thing myself. Someone better warn the baby with the uni-brow cause Maggie might fuck his shit up.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
Isn't The Simpsons a little mature for LEGO's target audience? They cover very adult themes, and LEGO's always taken a hard line to those sorts of things. They shot down the Firefly campaign for being too adult - and compared to The Simpsons, Firefly's downright saintly.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Product Placement said:
Steven Bogos said:
The Simpsons pets Snowball and Santa's Little Helper appear in the art at the top of the box, but don't seem to be in the set anywhere (unless Snowball is the black thing Maggie is holding).
...is that a gun?
It's a screw driver. Lego just updated the part recently so it looks like a modern cordless drill driver.

As a Lego fan and collector I find it oddly disturbing that the most realistic Lego house ever made comes from The Simpsons!

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Squilookle said:
I remember a time when LEGO did it's OWN sets, without any kind of movie or TV tie-in bullshit whatsoever. Back then, the sets were far more imaginative than these licensed ones will ever be.

Lego has their own Movie out next month. Here is a big new set from it, at roughly the same size and price as the Simpsons house.

Imaginative enough?

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Dead Raen said:
Isn't The Simpsons a little mature for LEGO's target audience? They cover very adult themes, and LEGO's always taken a hard line to those sorts of things. They shot down the Firefly campaign for being too adult - and compared to The Simpsons, Firefly's downright saintly.
I guess you weren't around back when they used to put Bart Simpson's face on everything, and I mean everything, even remotely related to children?

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
SirCannonFodder said:
I guess you weren't around back when they used to put Bart Simpson's face on everything, and I mean everything, even remotely related to children?
Dead Raen said:
LEGO's always taken a hard line to those sorts of things.
I'm very much aware of the Simpson wave in the 90s and into the 2000s, but that doesn't change the fact that LEGO's never tread on this kind of ground before.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Squilookle said:

Hell, even Lego Racer's was a little more imaginative than some of these new games. I mean don't get me wrong, they're good and all, but the whole purpose of Lego was to just use your imagination and build whatever you wanted, not just have all this pre-made stuff. I may be able to forgive this a little bit if they come out with a...
Hank Scorpio set where you can build your own base and doomsday weapon! Hey, that'd encourage creativity! Problem solved.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
This would have been great if they had released it....in the 90s.

Still, better late than never.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
faefrost said:
Product Placement said:
Steven Bogos said:
...is that a gun?
It's a screw driver. Lego just updated the part recently so it looks like a modern cordless drill driver.

As a Lego fan and collector I find it oddly disturbing that the most realistic Lego house ever made comes from The Simpsons!
Ah, so instead of equipping Maggie with a firearm, they gave her the tool she used to almost slay her own father. That's much better.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
josemlopes said:
Its probably because the fanbase for Firefly is mostly adults where the one for Simpsons is both adults and kids (and to be honest its a shit ton larger so you know that probably even if it was just adults it could still be made)
soren7550 said:
Don't forget that they also made Indiana Jones, The Hobbit and Lord of the Ring films into Legos.

Steven Bogos said:
The Simpsons are yellow. LEGO people are also yellow.
I don't think that Lego people have been yellow since... whenever Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban came out or so.
I invite you both to reread the last line of my post, and evaluate just how serious I was being.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So is there anything that Lego hasn't gotten its hands on yet? Marvel, Minecraft and now this. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I just don't want to see every single thing being made into Lego form (well the ones that aren' desperately need to be Lego).

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Squilookle said:

I go way back with Legos. I remember and had some of those old pirate sets. What pissed me off as a kid was that when the new pirate sets came out several years after the old ones, the cannons were just props and didn't have firing mechanisms.

That was the first time I witnessed the ugly point of changing a toy to make it "safer". Supposedly the shooting cannons were too "dangerous", that you could hurt someone with the little shooting Lego piece.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
RT said:
Wait, only NOW they do this? I thought they'd make them back in the nineties, during the series' heyday.
It was previously revealed that as well as several LEGO Simpsons sets, a LEGO Simpsons TV show is also in production for this year.
Wait, what?!
That's because in the 90's, nobody had clued them in that show tie-in sets would be popular.

As far as I can remember, they didn't start doing major tie-in sets until 1999, with Star Wars Lego sets.

Now the Wikipedia page says that the Star Wars sets were the 23rd intellectual property tie-in, but I can't seem to find out where that point came from, cause searching for the others finds nothing before Star Wars, and the source cited for that point, the source doesn't even say that point.

I'm willing to bet that Star Wars was the first movie/show tie-in.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Dead Raen said:
Speaking as someone that played with LEGO and watched The Simpsons from as far back as they can remember, I doubt it.

Whilst the character figures are insanely creepy, I actually would love to own a bunch of sets and recreate parts of Springfield. A power plant set would be absolutely crazy-awesome.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Ok LEGO you have my interest with this Simpsons set.

Now, over to you, Traveller's Tales, I want to play a LEGO Simpsons game :)