The Simpsons Pays Tribute To Anime Legend Hayao Miyazaki

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The Simpsons Pays Tribute To Anime Legend Hayao Miyazaki

Try to spot the references to Miyazaki's most notable works, including Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle and My Neighbour Totoro.

Last year, Studio Ghibli's legendary anime director Hayao Miyazaki announced he was retiring from the industry [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127382-Hayao-Miyazaki-Ghiblis-Anime-Legend-Retires-at-72]. Now, one of America's most legendary animated TV shows, The Simpsons, has paid tribute to the Japanese director, with a reference-riddle scene in its latest episode. You can check out the full sequence to the right.

Try to spot the references to Miyazaki's most notable works. Fans have managed to find hints of Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Roso, My Neighbour Totoro, Princess Mononoke and Ponyo.

The scene's music, composed by Alf Clausen, also does a fantastic job of capturing the pure whimsy of an average Ghibli movie.

I think the best part of the whole sequence is that obvious reverence that it exudes. Rather than simple parody, which The Simpsons is best known for, there is a real sense of respect in the use of Miyazaki's characters.

This particular episode of the show is set to air this Sunday, so stay tuned for any further anime references!

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=R94Q6NhuS3A]

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
No reference to Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind?

Bah! Bah, I say!

...Though they do get points for the Totoro and Kiki references.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
I saw just about all the references the OP stated except the Princess Mononoke one.

I gotta say that is really cool of them, paying tribute to one of the legends of animation like this. They actually dialed back the humor and let the visuals do most of the talking.

Well done Simpsons.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Soviet Heavy said:
I must've missed the Porco Rosso reference, unless it was the music itself.
Chief Wiggum as the pig? I agree that it doesn't look too much like him, but a Pig-man in a Ghibli reference could only be one thing

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Dreadman75 said:
I saw just about all the references the OP stated except the Princess Mononoke one.

I gotta say that is really cool of them, paying tribute to one of the legends of animation like this. They actually dialed back the humor and let the visuals do most of the talking.

Well done Simpsons.
Mononoke at 0:49, to the right of the magical vehicles entrance

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
Just fyi, Miyazaki has said he will retire several times before and didn't actually retire. Who knows, maybe this time it's for real

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I admit, I did get a chuckle out of that clip! Even using a similar music to Ghibli was alright too (Spirital Away?)!

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Pretty nice, I liked the music in particular and I agree with Scarim Coral that the music sounded very similar to that of Spirited Away.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
the doom cannon said:
Just fyi, Miyazaki has said he will retire several times before and didn't actually retire. Who knows, maybe this time it's for real
Nope, he did it again this year.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/dqnplus/archives/1783936.html

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
I appreciate the sentiment, and I a huge Miyazaki and Simpsons (at least back in the day) fan, but I'm afraid I'm not really feeling a lot of love for this, all the references seems quite forced and I'm guessing the context, Homer drinks too much Sake, just feels like an excuse. Don't get me wrong, it's nice that they are trying to pay tribute, but I'm just finding there's not a lot of wit or subtlety here, just cramming as many Miyazaki monsters/characters with Simpson faces on them.

Sorry, I guess I shouldn't be such a killjoy.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
That was cool of them.

It makes me feel so warm inside that the people at The Simpsons would honor someone who was so influential in animation even though they could not be farther apart.

The Pink Pansy

Jun 17, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Dreadman75 said:

Well done Simpsons.
Another Mononoke reference; Krusty is drawn to resemble the character Jigo.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Dreadman75 said:

Well done Simpsons.
Also, Krusty was the Mercenary Jigo in Mononoke. This guy:

EDIT: Crap, ninja'd while I was trying to remember his name.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
Not Matt said:
anyone fancy a round of Studio Ghibli bingo ?
My card has Flying sequence. Strong willed female character. Booze. Goop. Bratty but lovable child. Painful and terrifying transformation sequence. And hair frizzes upon emotional stimulation.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Soviet Heavy said:
I must've missed the Porco Rosso reference, unless it was the music itself.
Chief Wiggum as the pig? I agree that it doesn't look too much like him, but a Pig-man in a Ghibli reference could only be one thing
Ah, maybe. I did get Krusty as the monk guy from Princess Mononoke.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
All these Miyazaki references, but nothing of his absolute best film, Castle of Cagliostro. I understand that one was from his pre-Ghibli days, but it's still his best film ever, by a large margin.

P.S. Thanks

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
Wow, a new Simpsons episode that I'm actually going to watch!

And an article that brought my out of Escapist retirement... not that anyone will notice.
Nor should they

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
JediMB said:
No reference to Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind?

Bah! Bah, I say!
I guess it's because technically, it isn't a Ghibli film.

And for the first time in probably a decade or so (ack!) that I've been tempted to watch a new episode of The Simpsons.