The Sims 2 And All 18 of Its Expansions Are Free on Origin

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The Sims 2 And All 18 of Its Expansions Are Free on Origin

The Sims 2: Ultimate Collection is absolutely free on Origin right now, and contains 8 expansions and 10 "stuff packs".

It's been ten years since The Sims 2 first launched, and though EA is pulling the plug on official support for the title, it's sending it out with one last hurrah, giving away the "Ultimate Collection" version of the game, which contains all 18 expansion packs, absolutely free on Origin. Origin users simply need to click on the "redeem a product code" in their Origin client, and enter the code "I-LOVE-THE-SIMS" to receive their free game.

When support for the title ends, players will, of course, still be able to play it (and new players will still be able to purchase it), but EA will no longer release content or technical fixes for the game. It will, however, continue to offer for support to those who contact the company for help, but the game as it exists today will remain unchanged going forward (with the exception of user-created mods).

The Sims 2: Ultimate Collection includes the base Sims 2 game along with "every single The Sims 2 expansion pack and stuff pack." The long list of included content includes 8 expansion packs and 10 "stuff packs" - which simply include new items (such as furniture).

For those of you who booted up the game and are looking for away around its minuscule 800x600 resolution, the folks over at Sims VIP [http://simsvip.com/2014/07/20/the-sims-2-ultimate-collection-increase-resolution-guide/] have put together a guide for unlocking higher resolutions.

You only have until July 31 at 10AM Pacific to redeem the code for your free game to your Origin account - after which The Sims 2: Ultimate Collection will return to its regular price.

The next installment of The Sims series, The Sims 4, will launch in September of this year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e32014/11604-The-Sims-4-Releasing-on-September-2nd-Update].

Source: EA Games [http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-get-the-sims-2-ultimate-collection/]

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Wait, EA is actually still selling those? And what 18 Expansions? It had 8, unless you count every single "stuff-pack", most of which arent worth their asking price anyway. But its quite hilarious because they actually pulled official support not too long ago. Yes, thats right. Sims 2 is no longer officially supported, but it sure as hell is still being sold.

In short..the fuck, EA?

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
A-D. said:
Wait, EA is actually still selling those? And what 18 Expansions? It had 8, unless you count every single "stuff-pack", most of which arent worth their asking price anyway. But its quite hilarious because they actually pulled official support not too long ago. Yes, thats right. Sims 2 is no longer officially supported, but it sure as hell is still being sold.

In short..the fuck, EA?
Lots of games are no longer officially supported but are still sold. In fact, a vast majority of GoG's library is like that. I don't see what the problem is. If you want to buy a game that's no longer supported, you should be able to. No support simply means no more additional patches - you can't honestly expect developers to continue to support every single game they make forever.

I know people love to grab the torches and pitchforks every time EA is mentioned, but this time they are literally giving something away and the very first comment is still quick to condemn them.

EA does have a lot of shitty policies that need to change, but this is not one of them.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Really tempted actually... I'm not going to regret putting Origin in my laptop am I?

EDIT: Thanks for all the re-assuring quotes. I've taken the plunge and now my laptop is corrupted, is only producing the sounds of scraping metal and demonic chanting, has blue screened and is leaking a strange green ooze that is dissolving its way through into the planets core I've got Origin on my laptop. No issues, and I've was able to get the code to work just fine.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
A-D. said:

In short..the fuck, EA?
Lots of games are no longer officially supported but are still sold. In fact, a vast majority of GoG's library is like that. I don't see what the problem is. If you want to buy a game that's no longer supported, you should be able to. No support simply means no more additional patches - you can't honestly expect developers to continue to support every single game they make forever.

I know people love to grab the torches and pitchforks every time EA is mentioned, but this time they are literally giving something away and the very first comment is still quick to condemn them.

EA does have a lot of shitty policies that need to change, but this is not one of them.
What does that have to do with anything? I actually own Sims 2, i actually bought all of its expansions just a month before they fully terminated support for it, bit late you might argue but i dont really go shopping in physical stores that often so there you go.

Your GoG argument also doesnt work because their versions are on the latest patch available plus they run on an OS they were never designed to support in most cases. You are quick to jump to the defence of a company even though i pointed out why i said what i did. This has nothing to do with EA-bashing or whatever, it could have been pre-EA BioWare, or Bethesda or whichever developer is popular right now.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I loved the 2nd iteration of Sims and this is pretty cool of them to do. I'm also one of the few who apparently have no issue with Origin, so yeah no big deal to me that its on there.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
It's kinda funny how all this games get put there for free, Sims 2 is the best one imo, and I LOVE Dead Space 1, but still I can't even be bothered to THINK about downloading this thing.

Baron von Blitztank said:
Really tempted actually... I'm not going to regret putting Origin in my laptop am I?
I know I'm not... Going to download it at all.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
I loved the 2nd iteration of Sims and this is pretty cool of them to do. I'm also one of the few who apparently have no issue with Origin, so yeah no big deal to me that its on there.
B.. b... but EA are evil!

Nah but seriously free shit to keep for as long as you like, awesome, might add it to my library.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Welp, off to play sims 2 I suppose!

Nah, it is just not as good as Steam, other than that I don't really have any complaints.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
The White Hunter said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
B.. b... but EA are evil!

Nah but seriously free shit to keep for as long as you like, awesome, might add it to my library.
When it all comes down to it, we're all just finding ways to waste time we otherwise would have wasted anyway. Might as well do it for free.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
That actually sounds quite appealing. I don't have Origin, but I've half a mind to pick this up. Is Origin still as bad as installing chlamydia on your computer, which is what the internet tells me, or is it decent now?

Yeah I like the Sims and I'm a sucker for free deals, you wanna fight?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Unfortunately EA kind of brings this on themselves by simultaneously having some of the shittiest business practices and worst PR in the industry.

I mean, we've just come off the tail end of an announcement of the latest Sims game not having certain features people expect from the Sims upon release (the whole "pools and toddlers" fiasco), coupled with the announcement that there's going to be a premium subscription thing tied to it. People just don't trust EA, and it's entirely EA's fault because they keep doing stuff people don't want to see.

Even this free stuff comes with the condition that you have to tacitly offer support for Origin, which people think of as anathema because it represents all the other failed Steam knock-offs like Uplay and Games for Windows Live.

Feb 28, 2008
Kingjackl said:
I don't have Origin, but I've half a mind to pick this up. Is Origin still as bad as installing chlamydia on your computer, which is what the internet tells me, or is it decent now?
I've no idea what people's complaints ever were against it? It's just a piece of distribution software that seems to be fairly innocuous. My computer hasn't spontaneously combusted on impact as far as I am aware.

As for this, it's an unambiguously good decision for users. If people can put aside the entirely justifiable hate for EA for one moment then they would be able to see it.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
vonSanneck said:
Put Origin on my desktop because of the On The House program EA added to it. Have Dead Space 1 & Battlefield 3 through that and not complaining at all. Also bought the PC version of The Saboteur when it was discounted and not fussed at all.
Btw, can run the singleplayer games without Origin being active. Just a heads up, since it does like to take up RAM space.
Well all I've got to play PC games is my crappy laptop so that's my only option. What's this 'On The House' program you speak of?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Kingjackl said:
That actually sounds quite appealing. I don't have Origin, but I've half a mind to pick this up. Is Origin still as bad as installing chlamydia on your computer, which is what the internet tells me, or is it decent now?

Yeah I like the Sims and I'm a sucker for free deals, you wanna fight?
It's never really been that bad, just pay attention when installing for the tick box that you unselect "start Origin when my computer starts" and it won't run until you decide to run it. It doesn't cause any issues on my end and uses about the same amount of ram as steam does.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
So why would you buy the new inferior sims game again?