The Sims 4 Review - More BooHoo Than WooHoo

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
shirkbot said:
Well it sounds like my 1-man EA boycott continues. I regret not grabbing the Sims 2 when they were giving it out for free, but such is life. Thanks for the review Jim.
It's not a 1-man boycott. EA makes boycotting themselves really easy with origin.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Kajin said:
The worst part is they could probably release the expansions with triple the content at a third of the price and they'd make more money from fans who would be willing to pay out for a proper expansion instead of the glorified, overpriced DLC that they've been releasing for the last decade or so.
No, the worst part is not only is EA going to do exactly what you mentioned there's probably still going to be millions not knowing or caring that they are being screwed over that fall for this yet again while while those who do give a damn about the quality of their video games and not being screwed over are going to be the ones that suffer most for it.

However, yes, the video game industry seems to be one of the only industries that doesn't seem to get that giving their customers what they want and giving them value for their dollar, while at least not obviously screwing them over in the process will get them far more money than trying to exploit them in every way they feel they can get away with. Even worse is the fact that the video game industry is one of the only industries that can get away with this.

Cal Shackleford

Aug 9, 2014
I kind of feared that this recent iteration of the Sims wouldn't be up to par. From Sims 1 to 2, 2 to 3 there were massive changes in engine as much as anything else that allowed for one to overlook the content "reset" that comes with the franchise.

Sadly Sims 4 looks more like a step to the side and back, maybe once the expansions start rolling in there will be enough meat to the game, but as it stands it looks like it could've spent a few more years in the developmental oven.

On a brighter side, do like the changes to create-a-sim, looks really nice, but hardly justifies it as it stands. Especially considering the price. Crazy idea time, considering Origin, as a good faith incentive when the expansions start coming out - and assuming they're going to be similar to the preceding ones ("holidays," "hobbies," "night life," "pets" etc) - there's scope for offering discounts to those who have the corresponding expansions for the previous versions linked to their accounts.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
WonkyWarmaiden said:
It's pretty sad that The Sims 4 just sounds like a crappier version of The Sims 2, considering that game came out a decade ago. I love the series so it really sucks to see it falling behind the times.
Yep, this is what I was thinking - it sounds more like Sims 2 HD re-release.

Which I'd be totally all over if that's actually what it is.

Alexis dale

Sep 5, 2014
I do not get why people a down on this game it's kinda sad really. This game has a lot just in base game than other pervious games but still it's not great game for most of you people. Sure you
Have your opinions n I have mine I not asking you to veiw my but do tell me all these new things are not making in a good game. First cas is amazing it's not hard to make a sim it's actually fun making different sims like in previous games. Now cool things in base game sims in my opinion are about socializing mostly and this game gave that n much more so many old interaction and than new ones like a lot of new romance options I've seen and more interaction for parents to the kids I like the express love one hug than look at them with so much love n little more cute little thing there it's just great than kiss on the kids cheek and brought bk snuggle on the couch with parents also on the couch couples can tickle, whisper and look in each other's eyes while holding hand. Tell me was tending a bar and mixology in base game of others?? Could kids have little goals at home to raise skills for school?? Could kids hangout on top of monkey bars n most likely talk to another sim if they're up there too? Did kids have a stuff you that they could talk to hug play also talking to it raises the social skill they have??? Did kids have motor skill it's a athletic skill in its self?? The drawing on activity is in here sure it was in previous games but you can choose what u draw so I've found people,vehicle and shape. Did base games before have rocket ships??? Did they have punching bags??? Did they have advance multitasking??? The funny cook animations from cutting finger dropping thing in mixtures or just standing there when your starting thing what am I supposed to do with this n this than the fires sure bad emotion but I had a cake in the oven stove caught fire I got to save yes save tht cake n it was good quality!! It's was a birthday cake soo I was ecstatic. Could kids play the violin???? Did base game have a microphone???? Did they have a bonsai tree you could shape??? Did they have postcards??? Did they have they have a future cube like that eight ball think it's call ask question than get answer???? Even kids can use it. Did they have a visable video gaming skill??? Programming skill??? Did they have a junior wizard starter set basically chemistry set but was that in a base game??? Big doll house not little small ones??? Kids can mold clay was this ever in for kids??? The kids clothes those a great I have too say better than any game in my opinion now bk the what they have. Pirate ship and star cruiser jungle gym??? Not sure but monkey bars in any other base games??? Ohh the penguin tv??? soo cute. Did they have base games a jukebox???? Did they have old fashion music player?? Did they have secret bookcases??? Did they have planter box for gardening???? And ppl say it's not an open world is wrong it's partly in you neirghbour hood it's small but still open you can go any where there with in the area collect stuff and there is bencha and grill there n most importantly sims in sims 3 I hardly saw ppl out like a those town not in sims 4 ppl mostly around to socialize with unless night time understand able should be home.Bk too thing in base game n not in old sims game did they could you make curve fences in any other base game??? Did they have spandrels ?? Did they have friezes and exterior trims??? Could you raise a foundation underneath a whole god damn house??? Move a whole house???? Different wall heights??? Move windows and painting n other items up n of own walls???????? On a computer stuff, research pick up lines,watch funny videos ?? Have a pen pal??Order books plant seed??? Write jokes?? In programming skill atm level five I can freelance work/hack stuff/make plugin/make virus/ mod games/ practice the skill??? Now cooking, have discovered all on this but atm scrambled eggs, grilled cheese (classic), white cake, chocolate cake, hamburger cake (I got the extra content game), eggs and toast, chips and salsa, blt, fish tacos. Only level 2 so not a lot. U can eat pretty much anywhere on table could standing up probs bed to haven't tried. I've found I like playing child now more than sims 2 and I did not like sims 3 children. Did sims base in previous get to write song at a high level??? Have comedy skill?? Mischief skill??? Cupcake factory??? Spa bath in other base game??? Analyze plant sample??? New teen careers barista, manual labour, babysitter (finally!!!!!!!) , retail empolyee, fast food employer like come on ppl this game is more jam packed than any sims base game!!! Sims catch fire put them selves out or put out in shower. The motion monitor gaming mat in a base game I think not!!! Did they styled rooms in base game I think not. There is soo much too do ppl in the base game I am just shocked at ppl downing this great game these ppl made and it's going to get ever better n better in the years to come. I could talk more but I said a lot already n I want to go bk playing this amazing game. This game is not empty is at all is where I'm leaving it at.

DeathQuaker

Oct 29, 2008
Hey Alexis dale, glad you're enjoying the game. Unfortunately, your post is very hard to read. It might make things easier for people to read it if you break things up and punctuated it a little more clearly. It would especially be helpful to see the features you enjoy put in a bulleted list rather than a big wall of text.

I can't get at everything you're writing because it's hard to understand, but it looks like yes, the game does include some awesome items and confirms what other people have said, that Sim interactions and AI overall has generally improved. I think it also is just a given that any new Sims game is going to have better character creation and house building tools.

A few of the items (just a few mind) you list though, yes, actually were in other base games -- just for a few examples, yes, prior base games did have toys that helped children raise social as well as skills; yes, Cooks did cut themselves while cooking if they had low skill with a funny animation; yes, teens could get part time jobs including working retail, as barista, etc.; yes, there was a base game jukebox (IIRC, as far back as the Sims 1); yes, in Sims 3 they would pre-style your house furnishings if you wanted (although no, you couldn't buy room by room, and that is a cool new Sims 4 feature).

Personally, however, I think it's unfortunate however that a lot of what's new and good comes with a tradeoff with things lost. You can interact more with a child, great, but you've lost the toddler (and all the toddler interactions and skill development with it--including, yes, effectively some motor skill development) life stage entirely, and that seems unnecessary. Some of the new items sound really cool, but it's come at a significant loss of major and important items like cars, pools, and dishwashers. My favorite thing in Sims 3 base game was the open world, because it was tremendous fun to explore the big huge world and find hidden things and objects to collect--I spent (and still spend) hours and hours just running my Sim around town looking around and finding stuff I never noticed before; the more limited Sims 4 world largely disallows that, with much fewer areas to explore (I have heard there are two secrets you can find though).

Still, your post is one of the first places I've seen a detailed list of new and interesting features, so again, I hope you have some time to write it out more legibly, as it were.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
While some may argue that it's unrealistic to expect all the expansions and DLC from The Sims 3 to show up in the sequel, I'd argue it's equally unrealistic to try and turn back the clock on everything we've gotten used to and not expect anybody to notice.
Sims fans are used to the new game not including what was in the expansions. What is cheesing many off is that Sims 4 has far less than was in the Sims 3 and Sims 2 base games, and toddlers and pools being missing was more of a last straw than anything.

Here is a short and incomplete list of what is missing or downgraded from the previous base games:

1) No more open world
2) Neighbourhoods are limited to less than 25 lots, separated into 5 areas, separated by loading screens (there are about 40 empty houses & lots in the Sims 3 base world and 97 lots in total)
3) No usable vehicles.
4) Sims disappear off-screen for work and school
5) No terraforming.
6) No basements (not even with cheats)
7) Houses are limited to 3 stories (Sims 3 allowed 5 stories)
8) No shops, not even as Sims 3 style rabbit holes.
9) The traditional Law Enforcement, Military, Medicine, Business, Politics, Sports and Science career tracks have been removed.
10) No Create a Style or colour wheel and very limited customisation options.
12) No repairman, fireman, nanny, baby sitter or burglar NPC's.

and of course

13) No toddler life stage
14) No swimming pools

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
immortalfrieza said:
Kajin said:
The worst part is they could probably release the expansions with triple the content at a third of the price and they'd make more money from fans who would be willing to pay out for a proper expansion instead of the glorified, overpriced DLC that they've been releasing for the last decade or so.
No, the worst part is not only is EA going to do exactly what you mentioned there's probably still going to be millions not knowing or caring that they are being screwed over that fall for this yet again while while those who do give a damn about the quality of their video games and not being screwed over are going to be the ones that suffer most for it.

However, yes, the video game industry seems to be one of the only industries that doesn't seem to get that giving their customers what they want and giving them value for their dollar, while at least not obviously screwing them over in the process will get them far more money than trying to exploit them in every way they feel they can get away with. Even worse is the fact that the video game industry is one of the only industries that can get away with this.
How is an actual, properly priced expansion a rip off? How is it just as bad as the overpriced, tacked on afterthought that is the DLC level content they've been pushing on us? If the developer slaving under the crushing boot of EA actually puts time and effort into delivering something actually worth purchasing to add to your game as an expansion at a later date, how is that just as bad as the DLC that EA had been releasing for Sims 3? If they spend the time and effort making a proper game to purchase, and then later on spend the time and effort making a proper expansion that adds whole new depth to your game instead of just a couple bells and whistles, wouldn't such a game be worthy of being bought?

Granted, given EA's track record I don't see the "EA Expansions" as being anything other than just a few tacked on bells and whistles unworthy of being purchased.

Alexis dale

Sep 5, 2014
DeathQuaker said:
Hey Alexis dale, glad you're enjoying the game. Unfortunately, your post is very hard to read. It might make things easier for people to read it if you break things up and punctuated it a little more clearly. It would especially be helpful to see the features you enjoy put in a bulleted list rather than a big wall of text.

I can't get at everything you're writing because it's hard to understand, but it looks like yes, the game does include some awesome items and confirms what other people have said, that Sim interactions and AI overall has generally improved. I think it also is just a given that any new Sims game is going to have better character creation and house building tools.

A few of the items (just a few mind) you list though, yes, actually were in other base games -- just for a few examples, yes, prior base games did have toys that helped children raise social as well as skills; yes, Cooks did cut themselves while cooking if they had low skill with a funny animation; yes, teens could get part time jobs including working retail, as barista, etc.; yes, there was a base game jukebox (IIRC, as far back as the Sims 1); yes, in Sims 3 they would pre-style your house furnishings if you wanted (although no, you couldn't buy room by room, and that is a cool new Sims 4 feature).

Personally, however, I think it's unfortunate however that a lot of what's new and good comes with a tradeoff with things lost. You can interact more with a child, great, but you've lost the toddler (and all the toddler interactions and skill development with it--including, yes, effectively some motor skill development) life stage entirely, and that seems unnecessary. Some of the new items sound really cool, but it's come at a significant loss of major and important items like cars, pools, and dishwashers. My favorite thing in Sims 3 base game was the open world, because it was tremendous fun to explore the big huge world and find hidden things and objects to collect--I spent (and still spend) hours and hours just running my Sim around town looking around and finding stuff I never noticed before; the more limited Sims 4 world largely disallows that, with much fewer areas to explore (I have heard there are two secrets you can find though).

Still, your post is one of the first places I've seen a detailed list of new and interesting features, so again, I hope you have some time to write it out more legibly, as it were.

I've actually don't know where to begin this fixing the I have a learning disability my writing is always been bad no matter how hard I try to fix it. Sorry that you and others found it hard to read it. I just want a list out on this post that wasn't so negative. I hear mostly negative about this hardly any good. Also another thing they add was teen can mess around in the bed kinda like woohoo even way animation as a woohoo. Forgot to mention that in list.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Kajin said:
How is an actual, properly priced expansion a rip off? How is it just as bad as the overpriced, tacked on afterthought that is the DLC level content they've been pushing on us? If the developer slaving under the crushing boot of EA actually puts time and effort into delivering something actually worth purchasing to add to your game as an expansion at a later date, how is that just as bad as the DLC that EA had been releasing for Sims 3? If they spend the time and effort making a proper game to purchase, and then later on spend the time and effort making a proper expansion that adds whole new depth to your game instead of just a couple bells and whistles, wouldn't such a game be worthy of being bought?
When it's none of these things is when it's a rip off. All the Sims expansions have been overpriced for the amount of content they provide, split into a dozen or more different expansions when 2 or 3 would have been plenty, and largely includes only content that that was already in previous expansion packs in the series and thus is just selling us the same crap over and over again with very minor changes at best. The DLC EA has is just even worse than this.

Granted, given EA's track record I don't see the "EA Expansions" as being anything other than just a few tacked on bells and whistles unworthy of being purchased.
Which is my point.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
Ultratwinkie said:
Rattja said:
Well I used to enjoy The Sims a lot back in the day, upon reading this I thought, "hey let's just check out Sims 3 they've got to have a edition out with all the dlc and stuff in it right?"

*Opens origin, searches Sims*
Haha, WRONG!

I... what the... 160$ for a bunch of simpoints? Everything there at the price as a a full game?
Yeah......not happening.
I knew it was bad, but not THIS bad. Don't even dare to think about what they have planned for this one.

This is insane actually, considering I just grabbed Civ 5 with everything for about 19$ off steam. Something is very wrong here.
simpoints are to buy items that are too advanced for modders to make, or worlds. Stuff like buildable rollercoasters and a moving tractor to help harvest your produce are all bought with simpoints.

The problem is they are 99% useless unless you unlock the game to its full and unstable potential (read: take off all the limits on the game, load all lots at once, and load every sim at once and track their stats and motives while removing the sim limit on lots.)

The sims 3 only has about 6-8 expansions. The rest are for fanatics of a certain brand like Katy perry or Diesel clothing.

When you have all the expansions, its a very good game that does WAAAAAY more than the sims 1-2 and offers WAAAAAY more freedom than anything before.

Sure it was heavy on PCs, but that's because of how vast it tries to be.

but the sims 4? It still runs like shit because EA can't cull useless data for shit. The sims 4 STILL has the same performance issues as the sims 3, and it deals with MUCH LESS than the sims 3 even in its base form.

They didn't make it less demanding. All its doing is saying that our modern PCs can't render all this emotion that the sims are conveying.

David Cage would be proud.
Oh I see, so that's how it works. It is tempting to pick up, but the price is just too insane to justify it in any way. So guess I'll have to wait for a complete edition or... you know... do the thing they don't want us to do.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
This actually made me want to play Sims 3, what kinda pricetag am I infor for enough DLC to make it worhtwhile?

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
I can't even be angry at EA for this because they gave me Sims 2 (aka "the only one I've ever been remotely interested in because it came from a time when EA games were great (NFSU2, Battle for Middle-Earth, et cetera) and I saw articles about it in a magazine") with all the expansions for free.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Ultratwinkie said:
Lazy Game Reviews has a Sims 4 review up recently too. He actually manages to make it look not half bad, but I'm still not getting it until it gets in the bargain bin in a few years, if I ever.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
Lots of stuff
That NRAAS stuff that you refer to, is that a required mod essentially for the game to work properly? I did a search for it and noted that it included a list of individual mods.