The Sims 4 Won't Have Pools, Toddlers

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I have now canceled my sims 4 collector's edition pre order. I'll use that money to pay down Dragon Age pre order instead.

I am gonna go play sims 3 and the expansions I like, it is a perfectly acceptable game that doesn't need a sequel. It even has a good modding community. It even has pools!

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
No EA. You have to explain things now. You've been caught with your pants down a disturbing amount of times. Enough with the bullshit, you have a terrible enough rep as it is. Put extra effort in or fuck off.

DeathQuaker

Oct 29, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
I take it pools are a big thing in The Sims?
The issue is that they've been around since the original Sims base game, which came out almost 15 years ago, so they've got all the pool graphics and coding figured out pretty damn well by now. Therefore, even presuming some alterations would need to be made for the newest engine, saying "we don't have the time and resources to put them in the base game" for the fourth game in the franchise is the case of the publisher blatantly, baldfacedly, ballsily lying. Especially when the base game apparently does come with fountains, which basically are pools you just can't swim in.

It's also kind of nonsensical to have a game that is supposed to be a surburban life simulator not have a common feature of suburban backyards included in the game. Likewise with the toddler issue. The key point of the Sims is it simulates life, but they decided despite that being the game's purpose, they would just skip a crucial stage of human development. (Now, in fairness, the original Sims didn't have toddlers, but the Sims 2 did, so they've "only" had the capacity, coding, etc. to do them for a mere decade). While it's obvious they will release these things in an expansion pack for which millions of suckers will pay top dollar, they're basically saying, in short, "We are putting out a suburban life simulator that, in its core form, actually fails to accurately simulate suburban life. Give us money."

And yes, as MarsAtlas said, you need them in the game so you can watch your Sims drown to death. Duh.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
A-D. said:
Welcome to the Club. The Membership Card is in the mail, please pull up a rocking chair, or lawn chair and have a seat. The cane is of course complimentory to all new members. Now repeat our motto "Get off my lawn".
Wouldn't a better motto of us old gamers be "Get off my LAN"?

Although maybe the young hip casuals wouldn't know what a LAN is.

Pity.

Mar 9, 2012
Hey, guess what?

Story progression has been cut seriously down:
http://simsvip.com/2014/07/02/the-sims-4-gurus-talk-story-progression/

And lots bigger than 50x50 (Sims 3's maximum size was 64x64) is out too!
https://twitter.com/SimGuruSarah/status/484026799131615232

Is there any silver lining at all to Sims 4 at this point?

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Roofstone said:
I have now canceled my sims 4 collector's edition pre order. I'll use that money to pay down Dragon Age pre order instead.
STOP PRE-ORDERING!!! Just hold onto your cash, wait and see if the game is WORTH the purchase, THEN purchase the game IF you like it! Sorry for that rant, but people like you are really harming the industry, encouraging publishers to focus more on marketing the game than the actual game itself. Did you learn nothing from Aliens: Colonial Marines and the like?

OT: I'm not a Sime fan, so can anyone out there tell me what the benefit of buying Sims 4 over Sims 3 is? Or Sims 3 over Sims 2? Are there new mechanics being introduced?

Mar 9, 2012
Roofstone said:
OT: I'm not a Sime fan, so can anyone out there tell me what the benefit of buying Sims 4 over Sims 3 is? Or Sims 3 over Sims 2? Are there new mechanics being introduced?
There really doesn't seem to be any.

The TL;DR version of EA's campaign so far has boiled down to "We have remade Sims 1 and added emotions [small], but removed pools and certain lot sizes[/small], that will be 60 70 dollars upfront. You're welcome."

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
WarpZone said:
Hey, wait a minute. Why don't we just mod the original Sims until the graphics are current?
Because Sims modders are generally terrible people who are low on talent and future-vision?

Also, there are barely any graphic mods for the game. The Sims modding community is a pretty massive joke.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
NoeL said:
Sims 3 introduced a single, ever-rendered world that allowed Sims to go to community lots without immense loading screens, as well as adding some cool things like traits that greatly improve Sim individuality, as well as some of the best customization tools in gaming.

Sims 4 has, from what I can tell, completely stripped literally everything good about Sims 3 out of it. o__O

mega lenin

Jul 2, 2014
Seems like the prelude to the end of Maxis. Really depressing. I remember the first time I played Sim City on the Nintendo. And then Sim City 2k on Win 95. If and when the launch numbers turn out disastrous EA will prolly point their finger at Maxis and scream they fucked up again. Likely axe most of the entity and keep a skeleton crew to churn out dlc for the smaller sims audience and just quietly slaughter the last bit when the small portion of folks that bought sims 4 generally lose interest.

Maxis may well have some of this blame to share, but seeing them and Bioware become shells of their former selves since being acquired by EA I can only conclude the common denominator in that equation has more to do with the whole thing. You can only nickel and dime fans for so long until they start realizing they're getting robbed.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
lacktheknack said:
WarpZone said:
Hey, wait a minute. Why don't we just mod the original Sims until the graphics are current?
Because Sims modders are generally terrible people who are low on talent and future-vision?

Also, there are barely any graphic mods for the game. The Sims modding community is a pretty massive joke.
What?

Your response doesn't make any sense to me. You're suggesting that unlike all those other sims modders, you're talented and forward-thinking, right? So my question stands. Why don't we just mod The Sims (or The Sims 3, if that's where your nostalgia starts and ends) to have better graphics so that there is no need for The Sims 4.

Then you go on to say that one of the reasons we can't make a graphics mod is because nobody's made a graphics mod. What?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
WarpZone said:
lacktheknack said:
WarpZone said:

What?

Your response doesn't make any sense to me. You're suggesting that unlike all those other sims modders, you're talented and forward-thinking, right? So my question stands. Why don't we just mod The Sims (or The Sims 3, if that's where your nostalgia starts and ends) to have better graphics so that there is no need for The Sims 4.

Then you go on to say that one of the reasons we can't make a graphics mod is because nobody's made a graphics mod. What?
I never said anything about my own abilities, but otherwise, yeah, exactly.

The Sims modding community is a massive cluster of in-fighting, legal threats, and clothing mods. Almost no major graphics mods have been made for the game beyond stuff like "cleaner skin".

It's difficult to start a modding project with absolutely no support, after all. ESPECIALLY with a game like "The Sims", where you have to purchase and retexture/remodel every. Single. Thing. That EA has ever put out.

Then we have the problem where it would all slow to a crawl. The Sims is already pretty badly optimized (all of them are), and adding 4K textures would make the game's loading ludicrously slow, from what I can tell.

And even then, some visuals simply can't be upgraded to modern day standards due to engine limits and restrictions.

But by all means, if you want to assemble a team that owns everything EA has ever released for one of the games, and will A. remodel/retexture everything, B. break into the game's code and optimize things to the point that it can properly run massive graphical data, C. hack-around, or better, completely rebuild the engine, and D. stave off massive lawsuits from EA due to your engine dickery (in which they'll be entirely in the right) as well as staving off the thieving, blood-sucking little turds known as the "Sims Modding Community" who will steal anything and everything you do and call it their own before trying to sue you for stealing...

...then go ahead and try it.

You might be better off just making a whole new game at that point, though.

Modding isn't the "magic mystery process" that you're treating it as. You're asking for a multi-year overhaul of a game, the likes of which we haven't seen since Skyrim, the king of modding. Your expectations are unrealistically high, comparable to someone who asks a grocery store to provide limosine rides back home.

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
MattRooney06 said:
When did this trend of lying begin? Like, I'm sure there weren't this many lies going around int he industry previously.....It's laughable that they think anyone would believe this
About the time we stopped having people like Peter Molyneux, Tim Schafer and Chris Roberts running the show, and started having people like Bobby Kotick, Andrew Wilson and Phil Spencer making the decisions.

People like that, who have no experience with or passion for the industry they work in will never produce anything good - They then have to lie to cover up A. Their inevitable backtracking, and B. Their complete lack of knowledge of the capabilities and limitations of those in their employ. Of course, it doesn't help that those leeches have dollar signs in their eyes.

Developers who actually play and like games know their limits, so tend not to make grandiose promises (With a couple of exceptions), or read crap off an autocue.