The Skyrim Script Extender Mod is Coming to the Special Edition

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The Skyrim Script Extender Mod is Coming to the Special Edition

Skyrim: Special Edition is going to get its own version of the popular Skyrim Script Extender, meaning lots more mod possibilities.

Mods have become almost a default part of the Skyrim experience, even on console. There are thousands of mods out there, and each one changes or adds to the game in its own way. But many of those mods depend on another mod to work: Skyrim Script Extender. SKSE adds a number of scripts that give modders more flexibility and freedom.

While there are already mods for the Skyrim Special Edition, there is not currently a working version of the Skyrim Script Extender for the remaster, but that's going to change soon. In a post on the mod's official site [http://skse.silverlock.org/], the mod team announced that it is working on a 64-bit version of SKSE for the Special Edition.

Hopefully, this release will bring a number of new mods to the remaster. Anything brings more options to the game is a win for everyone involved, so we're definitely excited to see what's coming. You can check out the current version of SKSE on Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/365720/].

The SKSE team is hoping to release a beta version of Skyrim Script Extender in mid-March 2017.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Good, it's about time. The reason I haven't gotten my free copy of this yet is because I've been waiting for SKSE to come out for it. :^)

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out why my game crashes every time I try to leave Dragonsreach.

Also wondering whether or not to reinstall Interesting NPCs, since it's so yuge.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Good, it's about time. The reason I haven't gotten my free copy of this yet is because I've been waiting for SKSE to come out for it. :^)
Why would you wait... to get a free copy of the game... ?

It's not like you need to play or even install it until such a time as it's in the position you would like it to be.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
RJ 17 said:
It's not like you need to play or even install it until such a time as it's in the position you would like it to be.
If that's the case, then what's the harm in waiting? :^)

If I've no intention of playing it until it gets to the state that I'm waiting for it to reach, it makes just as much sense to not bother picking it up as it does to pick it up and leave it uninstalled/untouched.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
RJ 17 said:
shrekfan246 said:
RJ 17 said:
Well, for one thing, I don't know if this applies to Skyrim specifically but sometimes those "free" copies only apply for a limited time. If that's not what Bethesda is doing, then yeah, there's no harm in waiting, but, like, I just don't see the point? This is a cyclical question to which the answer mostly depends on your personal philosophical standing, of course, but if you are planning on having it eventually and it's free, then what do you stand to gain from waiting to claim your copy?

(If you're going to entertain the cyclical nature of the questions then I'm going to just say we're at an impasse, because there isn't much I can do to respond to "what do I stand to gain by picking it up before I'm going to play it?")

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
RJ 17 said:
shrekfan246 said:
RJ 17 said:

If I've no intention of playing it until it gets to the state that I'm waiting for it to reach, it makes just as much sense to not bother picking it up as it does to pick it up and leave it uninstalled/untouched.
Ummm... You get the Special Edition on Steam automatically and immediately if you have the Legendary Edition of Skyrim or Skyrim with all of it's expansions. They gave it out for free during Oct. 28th. If, for whatever reason, you did not qualify for a free copy then, I'm afraid to say you will not get a free copy now. It was purely a one-day thing.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
RJ 17 said:
shrekfan246 said:
RJ 17 said:
Well, for one thing, I don't know if this applies to Skyrim specifically but sometimes those "free" copies only apply for a limited time. If that's not what Bethesda is doing, then yeah, there's no harm in waiting, but, like, I just don't see the point? This is a cyclical question to which the answer mostly depends on your personal philosophical standing, of course, but if you are planning on having it eventually and it's free, then what do you stand to gain from waiting to claim your copy?

(If you're going to entertain the cyclical nature of the questions then I'm going to just say we're at an impasse, because there isn't much I can do to respond to "what do I stand to gain by picking it up before I'm going to play it?")
This isn't a stance that I would take for everything, as you're correct: the majority of times a free offer comes up it's for a limited time, so even if you don't intend to use the free thing it'd still be better to grab it while you can. Besides that...

Arnoxthe1 said:
RJ 17 said:
shrekfan246 said:
RJ 17 said:

Ummm... You get the Special Edition on Steam automatically and immediately if you have the Legendary Edition of Skyrim or Skyrim with all of it's expansions. They gave it out for free during Oct. 28th. If, for whatever reason, you did not qualify for a free copy then, I'm afraid to say you will not get a free copy now. It was purely a one-day thing.
...then apparently I do already have it, because I did indeed have Skyrim with all it's DLC long before Oct 28th. So I guess the point is moot after all. :^)

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Welcome news,indeed. Now,let's see if Microsoft will let SKSE64 be available for XBone users. In the meantime,I'll wait and see if Perkus Maximus gets a Special Edition version on the Nexus.

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
Nice to see that the escapist is still reporting on gaming news, even if this story is 2 weeks late. I wonder if they'll announce the Script Extenders release two weeks after the fact too.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Just as an update for anyone interested: turns out I did have Skyrim SE all along, lurking in my library waiting to be downloaded. Don't know why I never noticed it. :^)

Cap'nPipsqueak

Jul 2, 2016
Or, y'know, instead of buying into the hype that making it slightly prettier makes it worth buying all over again, I'll stick with the previous version and have access to every mod in existence.

Apr 5, 2008
RJ 17 said:
You will already have the free copy if you owned either the original game and its DLCs, or the Legendary Edition (same thing in one bundle) on Steam when the SE was released. If you did not qualify in one of those two ways at the time the SE was released, you cannot get a free copy now.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
KingsGambit said:
RJ 17 said:
You will already have the free copy if you owned either the original game and its DLCs, or the Legendary Edition (same thing in one bundle) on Steam when the SE was released. If you did not qualify in one of those two ways at the time the SE was released, you cannot get a free copy now.
RJ 17 said:
Just as an update for anyone interested: turns out I did have Skyrim SE all along, lurking in my library waiting to be downloaded. Don't know why I never noticed it. :^)
Already resolved this one, my friend. This is why it helps to read the full page before pouncing on someone's first comment. :^)

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Riddle78 said:
Welcome news,indeed. Now,let's see if Microsoft will let SKSE64 be available for XBone users. In the meantime,I'll wait and see if Perkus Maximus gets a Special Edition version on the Nexus.
More likely not because its a separate executable that has to be run prior to start and I don't think XB1 will be that lax to allow it.

Apr 5, 2008
RJ 17 said:
KingsGambit said:
RJ 17 said:
RJ 17 said:
Already resolved this one, my friend. This is why it helps to read the full page before pouncing on someone's first comment. :^)
You're welcome for an informative tip offered with no cost or expectation.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
Cap said:
Or, y'know, instead of buying into the hype that making it slightly prettier makes it worth buying all over again, I'll stick with the previous version and have access to every mod in existence.
Here's the problem:

Texture packs for Skyrim were extensive, to the point where if your computer could actually handle the larger ones, you still ran into the issue that any mods that also messed with game textures, would conflict with your texture packs, making your game more and more unstable, with every new mod that you install/bash.

With the S:SE, that has enhanced textures as an inherent part of the game, the first part is a lot more optimized, and the second part is non-existent, which leaves room for you to install mods without having to worry so much about mod conflicts.

Of course, if you don't give a shit about enhanced textures, then of course you can stick to the original version. But then again, if you don't care about enhanced textures, then why are you criticizing people that do? That's just being narrow-minded.