The Sneaky Escapist

SB Ripping

May 25, 2012
I was wondering what other Escapist do when they are at work/school and supposed to be doing something constructive. I tend to always keep a random Excel sheet minimized and file drawer open so I can immediately print and pretend to rummage for a spot for the new document. Whats some of your stories???

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I assume you mean while we're on this website?

I keep my art files open, some logo I've already finished and make myself look like I'm "tweaking it",
I also keep paper by my desk and doodle, when I doodle, they think I'm drawing something related to work... it's great.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
I always have my assignments open at all times, I do actually work on them half the time, the other half is spent on here or YouTube.

SB Ripping

May 25, 2012
Yup!! I mean while on this website. But I think I will go buy myself a large jacket as well.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I do a lot of random things for my job, but it usually involves keeping whatever I happen to be working on displayed on my primary monitor while I have the Escapist/other website up on the smaller secondary monitor.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
I usually have my work-email, and 2 or 3 instances of the program I'm working with open to switch to. and at least 1 tab in my browser with a work related website.

I draw stuff (2D and 3D architectural stuff) on a computer, so looking up locations, references or details is a pretty common occurrence.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Well... I'm currently unemployed and sites like this were blocked at my last job anyway (until somewhat close to my departure). Generally I would keep to sites that were at least semi-related to my job so at a glance they wouldn't really look out of place and also make sure something more productive was still open just in case. I also didn't really slack off much, I just never had much to do.

Sneaky Paladin

Jan 21, 2009
No it's Paladin...Though I see how the mistake was made. And I usually just keep a wikipedia page or something open on whatever I should be doing to switch over to.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I used to do the Excel thing. The good thing about it was that it was pretty much all I was assigned to do anyway.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
When I'm in large supermarkets with friends, we play this game where we split up, then bow our heads and pretend to pray, while searching for eachother. We call it Tescocreed :D

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
No one can see my monitor unless they're standing at my desk - no one's behind me. So I don't really hide it. And if someone comes over to speak to me, I sometimes change my webpage, but not always. I usually have spreadsheets open anyway, as they're how I keep track of all my book orders, so usually I have to flip over to that when talking with someone anyway. Or I just leave my email open. I'm not too concerned, really.

Now, if only I could get my desk moved... the office is an L shape with 4 people in it, and my desk it at the crux. I want it moved back into the bottom part of the L, but I don't know if the cables will reach that far. And it's a pain to move a big L-shaped desk, filing cabinet, and the table all around me. If I was moved away from people I could maybe do a little more as people they wouldn't hear my keyboard clicks. .. Since I click my mouse or hit keys while watching videos so I don't look like I'm sitting there watching videos.

Edit: And my boss' boss comes over, she sits on my desk, and says "after the long weekend we'll try moving your desk" and doesn't even look at the escapist page I have open. Hah. (Not that I'm expecting my desk to move, as this is governmnent after all, and I'd be better off strapping it onto the back of a bunch of snails. Or just yanking my desk as much as I can until the cords rip out of the floor.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I generally have loads of work related windows open on one monitor and a few more with e-mail on the other monitor and prodigious use of alt-tab covers me perfectly fine.

Since I can't access Esc at work (internet filter and all that BS) I go to other random sites, so long as it isn't a 'company violation'... which most tend to be. :/

So, I contrive reasons to leave my desk and go somewhere else in the building and browse/message away on my phone.

SB Ripping

May 25, 2012
Yea we have a fortiGATE here too and this is the only site it doesn?t block which is how I found escapistmagazine in da 1st place.

Carbonyl

Jun 2, 2011
SB Ripping said:
I was wondering what other Escapist do when they are at work/school and supposed to be doing something constructive. I tend to always keep a random Excel sheet minimized and file drawer open so I can immediately print and pretend to rummage for a spot for the new document. Whats some of your stories???
Since I almost always do my work in my thesis office, I usually have multiple lab reports or molecular models open anyway, plus several of the top sites when I open a new tab are pubmed papers related to my thesis. I generally have tabs with things like AO3 and tumblrs and Batman cartoons and facebook open, but I can always open a new tab and click to a scholarly paper.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
I have any work needed to be done opened, so I can change it at will.

In real life terms, I wore my iPod Nano like a watch and hid the headphones in my sleeve so I could listen to music literally at any time.

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
Tony said:
I buy a large jacket. Then I go to work wearing it and then I wrap my hands around my ______ and then ___ off like no tomorrow.

Lies aside, I keep a DS in my pocket and if I get bored, I just walk to the bathroom and play some Mario.
Is that what they're calling it now?

OT: Somehow (I'm not sure how) I always find myself playing solitaire. Seriously that game is like crack. Once is fine, twice you're skirting disaster, the third time you're hooked and just hoping you can get another score of 730, just one is all I need man, just one more.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
Sometimes I message people I don't know and tell them I am coming over for dinner.

So far the most popular response is "NOOOOOO!"

How rude. Fine, Escapist. Don't have any of my steak fajitas, jerks.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Glad to know I'm not the most unproductive person in the world.

If I ever start feeling a little burnt out, I usually just browse the front page of this site orsee if Penny-Arcade has updated.