The Soul Still Burns

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
I think everyone has that one game that just clicks for them and they become neigh unbeatable, unfortunately mine was WinBack on the N64.

Dramatic Flare

Frightening Frolicker
Jun 18, 2008
Actually, after many, many hours of Soul Caliber 4 with my friends and getting to the point where one coworker and I would literally just make people stop wanting to play, I can safely say you should use whatever character works for you. Some characters really are on a lower tier, yes, but that doesn't by necessity make them unplayable. Lizardman in particular seems to have gone through some changes into a more awesome level, since he actually has a stance that leaves him prone and he can maul people from below with it.

I happen to favor Mitsurugi and Yeung Seung. Mitsurugi is and always will be one of the best characters, but a lot of people downplay Yeung Seung's strengths. Played properly, he can beat an Astaroth that can kill him in three hits, but is still fast enough to beat some of the more broken things people can do on the internet.
And there's nothing like triple-psychics-defying-flying kicks landing on someone when they thought they were just going to kill you.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I used to be pretty good with Worms World Party, way back when. Could look out across the screen, measure out wind velocity and direction, and put a grenade right between your teeth with the mathematical formula to make you cry like a little girl in a stereotypical scottish accent voiced by a worm. Bazooka? You bet. Advanced Ninja Roping over to you, dropping a bomb, and swinging away like some maniacal cross between spider-man and the mad bomber. I knew the intricacies of the jet pack, how to use thrust and arc geometry to drop a sheep right into a crater while I get to safety, turn it into a Super Sheep, let it collect a whole bunch of crates to supply my units, then plow its exploding self right up your nostril.

These days, I spend time scaling buildings in sandboxes, enjoying the welcoming openness. Do I miss the days of the exploding teeth of old women, or demolishing enemy bases with banana bombs and Mad Cows? Every now and again. But it's better to have lived the life once, and know its glory, then to live forever whining and moaning that you no longer have the skills you once had.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Ah, a feeling I know all too well. I can utterly trounce every cup on master in f-zero Gx, but if I play call of duty or something I'll be near the bottom most of the time. Sucks to get really good at something and not be able to kick your friends' asses either. :(

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Outright Villainy said:
Ah, a feeling I know all too well. I can utterly trounce every cup on master in f-zero Gx, but if I play call of duty or something I'll be near the bottom most of the time. Sucks to get really good at something and not be able to kick your friends' asses either. :(
Yeah.

I used to be a real wiz on the old Soul caliber games myself...I would kick some major ass and take some names to town.

But, some games these days. Its just so hard at times with all the online play and what not. I know its not so much changed the game as much as it has changed the rules and times...

Apr 28, 2008
Don't worry, I don't judge you, that whale scene is why I got Sonic Adventure as well. And damnit I had fun with that game...

OT: I remember back when Soul Caliber was still Soul Edge on the Playstation 1. Man those were good times, and I loved the fact that in that game, the more you block your weapon eventually breaks and you have to use your fists. It was fun.

And I always used... Hwang I think it was? He was my best character. I could destroy with him.

Tekken, Soul Caliber/Edge, and Dead or Alive 2. Those were the 3 fighting games I played all the time back in the day.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Did you try Blazblue and Tatsunoko...

Anyway, I fell in love with Seung Mina. In 1, and 4. Never played anything but the Xbox release of 1, followed by 4.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Woooo Lizardman! He was one of my main chars as well, he was do damn cool.

I sometimes go all nostalgic and re-install Need for Speed: Road Challenge (the best NFS there is) - I still pwn at it, me and a mate can both beat expert difficulty without practice even now.

Ahhh good times *reminisces*

PHOENIXRIDER57

Mar 2, 2010
Wow. Did anyone else get turned on by reading this? I think women who play video games are SO HOT! Susan Arendt, besides being the women of my dreams, I really respect the passion that you have for the game. Its very obvious, by your writing, that you have an immense love for games, especially Soul Caliber.

ramox

Mar 11, 2010
Oh the times...
Back then there was 1 games shop in a 100km radius which sold import consoles and games. They had decided to host a Soul Calibur tournament to promote the game as well as the DC (long before both officially arrived in shops over here). The price for the winner was a real badass two-hand sword with the original Soul Calubur logo engraved on the blade. It was so awesome i had to take part!
Of course, i didn't win. I never made it above mediocre with this game (like any other fighter) but damn i wanted this sword so badly...oh the memories.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
For me, this was the Killer Instinct series. I'd played plenty of other fighting games, before and since, but if there's one thing I love about fighting games, it's combos. And Killer Instinct had more, and crazier, combos than anyone. I had about nineteen distinct combos for Orchid, and several for almost every other character. Moreover, I developed the skill of counting combos as a way to both show off and impress others in the arcades. When KI2 came out, the combos had been toned down a bit, but there were actual rewards to varying them up, which made me a happy fighter.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to write another letter to Ken Lobb begging him to make KI3 happen.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Ah Lizardman. I remember that character.

I guess Susan Arendt's point is that back in the old days, people were unstoppable competitors but time passes and some of our skills gets dull.

After reading some of the Escapist articles, I dust off my old copy of Soul Caliber II for Gamecube and my skills did dull since I stopped playing fighting games. Heck, even such simple fighting games like Super Smash Bros is amusing but people can KO using 2-3 moves.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Ahh, maybe one day, the game I'm really, really good at will be made. The rate it's going at, I'll have to make it myself, but I can dream, right?

Also, I've been a Talim guy since Soul Calibur 2 on the XBox, which was especially odd, seeing as the XBox had Spawn, for God's sake!

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
So how did you fare against the ex? I figure you 2 had to have a bout at least once after your training.

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
Good at games? Now there is something I hear often. Expert? No.

I am good at most games, but I will never be an expert at any of them. I just can't seem to find a game which suits me. But I'm fine being able to go toe to toe with most average players.

I don't need to be #1 when I'm happy at #3456. To me, that ain't half bad.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
I'm still stuck in Sonic Adventure, there's that one point where you drop down into a sewer to get an upgrade which allows you to boost along rings, and theres a series of rings which you are supposed to use to get out of there, but I can't manage to pull it off :/

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
squid5580 said:
So how did you fare against the ex? I figure you 2 had to have a bout at least once after your training.
Regularly kicked the crap out of him. Only in SC, though. In everything else, he won virtually all of the time.