The Souls Series Replayed

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
This is my biggest project I think i've ever undertaken. Elden Ring left me with an itch to scratch what can i say? So after finishing Elden Ring 100 hours played to reach the platinum on Playstation, I have found myself wanting more Souls just not more Elden Ring. My opinions on ER are pretty well covered i think in that thread specifically but I felt like ER had a lot of problems that i didn't like. So I thought.....why not put my money where my mouth is? I'll replay every From Soft game and analyze them to see if they were truly better than ER and my opinions are true, or if the problems are nothing new and I'm blinded by an irrational desire to shit on the flavor of the month.

Starting with Demon's Souls:

Demon's Souls is a strange game to begin with, as the only way to play the first "souls" game is to play a very updated modern remake of it. However funnily enough Blue Point did a lot to keep the gameplay experience the same as much as possible, including having AI that doesn't work. Maybe it's because for the first time ever I'm playing as a Mage, but i've had several big enemies simply not know what to do about me pelting them with bullets. The big demon early in 4-1, literally just stood there while i shot him until he died which was very nice of him.

With Demon's Souls you can really see the prototype of the FromSoft level design at play here. While the whole game isn't interconnected like the follow up is, each individual level is filled with little side paths, small ways in which is loops on itself and even short cuts in a few places. The mining area in the second archstone is big on this especially because firing up elevators allows for a couple of different routes back to where you died. The Prison in Latria is a big example of this but even the first level of Boletaria loops on itself a couple of times before you reach the first boss.

The basic enemies have varying degrees of challenge to them, though after the speed of Elden Ring not very many pose any real challenge. The only guys that scared me where the mindflayers in the Tower of Latria to be honest. Not only because their spells are nasty, but they are placed in the most bullshit of spots most of the time. Enemy placement in general is fairly poor here, and while it doesn't matter that much for this game, there are notably a few enemies that are placed in postitions meant to fuck up the player as much as possible. It could be worse, but it's just annoying at times.

Quests are incredibly basic, though vague as usual, they really just involve finding a person in a level and "freeing" them, or just opening the door they are behind. But these NPc usually end up back at your hub The Nexus and sell you things like spells or weapons. It works fine, because Demon's Souls is not a very long game and with souls experience it's also not super hard minus a couple of smaller moments. I beat the game in 18 hours for NG+ and want to mess around in NG+ before moving onto the next game.

There are two big things I want to talk about though, two things that are totally unique to Demon's Souls. The first being world tendancy, the way this works is that worlds have basically a light (good) version and a evil (dark) version. Killing bosses and helping people brings the world closer to light, in light enemies are easier and you deal more damage. Dark worlds are harder and occur as you die more and more in a given level. However deaths only while full health human count. Which means if an area is hard for you and you die a lot, you wont bring the world into dark hell because only the first death as a human counts. Each mode full light and full dark have special events that occur within so what the player ends up doing is manipulating this by not dying in a world ever to bring the world to full light side. Every time you kill a boss your humanity is restored, so in order to safely get your world to light, every time you kill a boss you go back to the nexus and kill yourself. This puts you in soul form and doesn't count as fucking up your world's tendancy. Effectively you play the game at 50% hp at all times, or use a ring to have 75% hp instead. This means you MUST use up one of your valuable ring spots at all times. You only get two rings at a time so this whole concept is only cool on paper.

Thankfully they never did the tendancy thing again. And if you only count Miyazaki's games, they never really punish a player for death either.

Bosses however are awesome. Demon's Souls has some of the best bosses in the series thanks to their memorable gimmicks. Almost every boss is a gimmick fight which sucks on paper, but when you play through the game it actually serves to make the bosses more memorable imo. The old Monk is just a dipshit with a sword, but because he is blind and you can fuck with him using the Theif Ring it becomes a much more memorable fight. Almost every fight in the game has some sort of key gimmick to it, with a couple of exceptions that act like the more normal Souls-type bosses. I found the gimmicks awesome (except Dragon God) because it made every fight feel like I had to do something other than blast away with lazerbeams to win. Some of the trophies even encourage a different approach for some bosses to give you something extra to shoot for. Like killing the tower knight without killing any archers. Or never falling for the Foul's Idol's clone trick, it gives you a reason to focus even more on the bosses and I really liked that because the bosses get a little samey after a while but Demon's Souls bosses don't because of how varied they end up being.

It's not my favorite in the series, but I think it might be top 3 to be honest.

Next up will be Dark Souls 1.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I really like demon's soul because they hadn't started going to pah of extreme enemy attack tracking that more recent game started doing. You can dodge attack by just moving in the direction where they won't be and the giant boss don't start spinning like ballerina to hit you. Attack are weightier and stamina management is more important too which I really like.

I hated having to farm restorative every once in awhile and the tendency system had way too much cool stuff hidden behind it (although most special weapon aren't worth using, no matter how fucking cool the penetrator looks).

It's crazy to think it almost all ended right there, if the PS3 wasn't region free the game might not have sold as well and there might never have been a follow up.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Your biggest project? You're just playing some games, bruv.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Considering he'll be marathoning these games back to back to back, that will be no easy feat. If you're not interested, understandable, but something that should not be undermined. I have no interests either, but best of luck Critical. It will take you a long while.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Considering he'll be marathoning these games back to back to back, that will be no east feat. If you're not interested, understandable, but something that should not be undermined. I have no interests either, but best of luck Critical. It will take you a long while.
does it help that i am also trying to platinum these games? Having every Fromsoft plat would make my psn profile look nice.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
does it help that i am also trying to platinum these games? Having every Fromsoft plat would make my psn profile look nice.
That gives me flashbacks of hours of grinding for certain Covenant items in Dark Souls 3.

Good luck with that.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah, you will be playing for a long time then. If you're trying to get all the side quests and all the hidden items, it will take you a long while.
That gives me flashbacks of hours of grinding for certain Covenant items in Dark Souls 3.

Good luck with that.
Actually my biggest fear is the achievements that require online things which might not be possible if people aren't playing these games. So I'll give it a reasonable attempt to grind out, but if it's going to be super time consuming for the online shit i'll just get as lose to plat as possible and move onto the next game.

I will not be save scumming either so if I need to get three endings.....that's three playthroughs. Though each playthrough will not require extras so they usually are much faster. ER is the perfect example, in that the first playthrough was almost 80 hours, but the second and third playthough were only about 4 hours combined because a VAST majority of the game is optional. The other souls games are not that way of course and require more to be done per playthrough, but there are also a lot of areas you can just sprint from boss to boss in and don't have to fight much.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Yeah, you will be playing for a long time then. If you're trying to get all the side quests and all the hidden items, it will take you a long while.
Considering he’s probably already nabbed quite a few initially and knows the layouts of the games, it shouldn’t be half as tough or time consuming as going in fresh. But still, there are grindy ones involving all weapons, spells, etc. regardless, and a wiki is vital to being efficient in getting them. I never bothered platinum’ing DS2 or DS3 because of the redundant ones in the list.

Of all, Demon’s was the most time consuming for me, because I didn’t use the souls duplication glitch. DkS1 was the easiest overall, and Bloodborne was probably the toughest. Sekiro was tough too but far quicker.

Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Considering he’s probably already nabbed quite a few initially and knows the layouts of the games, it shouldn’t be half as tough or time consuming as going in fresh. But still, there are grindy ones involving all weapons, spells, etc. regardless, and a wiki is vital to being efficient in getting them. I never bothered platinum’ing DS2 or DS3 because of the redundant ones in the list.

Of all, Demon’s was the most time consuming for me, because I didn’t use the souls duplication glitch. DkS1 was the easiest overall, and Bloodborne was probably the toughest. Sekiro was tough too but far quicker.
Bloodborne is already platinumed.

The all weapons and spells ones are not nearly as bad as the games that have covenant requirements like DS3. DS3 might be a skip in terms of the plat because if how fucking awful it is.

That said, past knowledge of playthroughs will likely make this a much easier deal. One thing I noticed right off the bat, coming off of ER is that Demon's Souls is fucking slow as shit. I can do a handstand before these enemies hit me. It's a joke now. Demon's Souls biggest issue is that world tendancy shit. You have to get each world to pure light, do the light events, then make them pure black and do those events.

These games require guides to get platinums in, because the shit is so obtuse and unexplained it's really poorly designed. Just beating the game doesn't need anything, you can always just beat these games on your own, but one person alone will not find everything blind. I just don't see how it's possible, but that is what gaming communities are for....well guides and calling each other slurs.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
The all weapons and spells ones are not nearly as bad as the games that have covenant requirements like DS3. DS3 might be a skip in terms of the plat because if how fucking awful it is.
Unless I'm misremembering things, all covenant items can be farmed as monster drops in offline mode, so don't back out, go and grind your way to that platinum!

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Unless I'm misremembering things, all covenant items can be farmed as monster drops in offline mode, so don't back out, go and grind your way to that platinum!
Possible but i do think, especially in DS3, the drop rate is fucking mind numbingly low. So well see.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'd consider playing the entire series back to back to be a bit of a commitment. Hell, I normally take like 6 months off between these types of games because it feels like such a commitment to get through one. Which probably explains why I've never NG+ any of them, because I'm pretty much really to play the next one at that point and I've been playing catch up for years now. ER one of the first I was finally ready to play as it came out.

Granted, I realize that's just me though. I realize the irony that if I replayed any of them I'd probably finish them much, much faster on the 2nd go because I wouldn't be trying to explore and see everything. Except Dark Souls 2. because I have no urge to ever replay Dark Souls 2.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Except Dark Souls 2. because I have no urge to ever replay Dark Souls 2.
I'll up the ante: I have no urge to have EVER played Dark Souls 2 PERIOD. That's several hours of my life I could have spent playing much better games that weren't so try-hard. I won't shit on it anymore (yes, I will,) but if ever a game had a vibe of desperation trying to succeed in the areas its predecessors excelled, it's Dark Souls 2. "Chore: The Videogame."

Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'll up the ante: I have no urge to have EVER played Dark Souls 2 PERIOD. That's several hours of my life I could have spent playing much better games that weren't so try-hard. I won't shit on it anymore (yes, I will,) but if ever a game had a vibe of desperation trying to succeed in the areas its predecessors excelled, it's Dark Souls 2. "Chore: The Videogame."
So much Dark Souls 2 hate. Ya'll are really not gonna like what i have to say about DS2.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
So much Dark Souls 2 hate. Ya'll are really not gonna like what i have to say about DS2.
Boooo!

Just getting mine in there now before the rush starts.

I don't hate DS2, honestly. I think the DLC areas are actually pretty good but the base game is super uneven and all over the damn place. It feels more Janky then the other games(except for maybe DeS, the OG one), there's a ton of really....lackluster Boss and map design(some really good ones too, to be fair). And really, the dev hell it went through is no doubt responsible for a lot of that. I like what it tried to do, but the result I don't particularly enjoy as much as I wanted to.

Also, I particularly dislike how there's no embered/human state so you can(and will) be invaded at any time and boy, did it feel like I was constantly being invaded. I tolerated it in all of the other Souls game(It wasn't a problem in BB because I played 90% of BB offline....because Sony) but in DS2 I found it fucking obnoxious.

I didn't play it until after the SOTFS edition was out and maybe a year after playing DS1, so I knew plenty about it when I started and adjusted my expectations accordingly. I l knew it wasn't Dark Souls 1 and judged it on it's own merits and flaws.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I don't care personally, but gameplay and lore reasons are why many don't like DSII. I have the video time stamped for you.

I've seen it but I appreciate it. I know Plague does really hate what the sequels did to the lore, particularly the idea of cycles of light and dark(oh boy, does he hate it. He went on about it in his INCREADIBLY LONG DS playthrough that I watched the entire thing of because I'm fucking insane or something) but I do like the whole thing about "What if we only took what the OG told us and not the sequels?" which is a question that I rarely hear asked or pondered.

Reactions: BrawlMan