The Spoony One has been ejected from That Guy With the Glasses.

renaissance_nerd

Jun 25, 2012
I rarely put on a tinfoil hat, but it's hard for me to ignore all of the factors at work here. We have a situation in which Lupa brings up a comment over a month old and starts a big "to-do" about it, Scarlett throws her opinion into the fray, and Lupa makes some comments to the de-facto boss of CA in Doug's absence....and all of this just so happens to occur within the exact same time frame as the alleged incident you're commenting on, resulting in Spoony's suspension. I'm sorry, but that time frame is much, much too convenient for me to just ignore. And if you want to, that's fine, but don't deride other people for not being willing to think the same way as you.

I'd point out that it seems rather pointless for other reviewers on CA to be "taking sides" between Spoony and Lupa if the Spoony/Lupa incident indeed has nothing to do with his firing.

ding ding ding we have a bingo! I am so glad someone agrees with me that the thing that stinks most about this is the timing. It all went down a little too clean to not be planned.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
20 pages..... yes I'm sure we're just whipping a horse beyond death right now.

Lets keep going! Another 10 I say! More Scotch!
Yes! I need some more glue. Keep beating it!

But not so hard that everyone gets stuck together. That'd just be unpleasant. Would make for an interesting social experiment though.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
renaissance_nerd said:
I rarely put on a tinfoil hat, but it's hard for me to ignore all of the factors at work here. We have a situation in which Lupa brings up a comment over a month old and starts a big "to-do" about it, Scarlett throws her opinion into the fray, and Lupa makes some comments to the de-facto boss of CA in Doug's absence....and all of this just so happens to occur within the exact same time frame as the alleged incident you're commenting on, resulting in Spoony's suspension. I'm sorry, but that time frame is much, much too convenient for me to just ignore. And if you want to, that's fine, but don't deride other people for not being willing to think the same way as you.

I'd point out that it seems rather pointless for other reviewers on CA to be "taking sides" between Spoony and Lupa if the Spoony/Lupa incident indeed has nothing to do with his firing.

ding ding ding we have a bingo! I am so glad someone agrees with me that the thing that stinks most about this is the timing. It all went down a little too clean to not be planned.
I'd call this a lot of things, but "clean" is not one of them.

I'll agree it is kinda fishy it all happening at once, and I already mentioned my opinion that Lupa is not blameless in instigating (I am a little more of the mindset that it was just personality clashing rather then some true intent to get him fired though). I will weigh in as this idea it was planned comes off as a little too much in the matter. I could more see, if you really want to attribute intent here, that perhaps scarlet and lupa took the opportunity to take hits when they felt they could (this being after the initial complaint raised and his issues suspension), and that in turn fanned the flames that, between that, Lordcat, and the fans, might have pushed sppony over the edge.

But all of it planned? That seems really a stretch too far. It was a messy ugly debacle for the site, for lupa (who now has a hell of a backlash I imagine), for the unaffected, for Scarlet (again, I imagine similar to lupa) and pretty much any and all involved or pulled into it. No, "Clean" is not the word for this mess by a long shot.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
Rednog said:
Sandytimeman said:
Rednog said:
His E3 involvement still really hasn't been confirmed, what I can gather from CA Member comments is that he had an argument during an XCOM interview, and this led to the developer denying any further interviews with CA members, some have said that this led to other developers denying interviews, but none of this has been confirmed.
That's not true, him and angry Joe reviewed the x com game together and this new one spoony liked because it was a throwback to the original. In fact Spoony was kind of quiet for the whole video besides an apology and opening joke. You can see the video here:

http://angryjoeshow.com/2012/06/aj-spoony-exclusive-xcom-2012-interview/

Also I like how Allison can get away with constant animal abuse jokes (including the one about beating her cat with a hose) I mean if we are going to go PC, lets go PC all the way here.
It was a different XCOM game, not Enemy Unknown. LordKat said that Spoony's betrayal rant got LK denied an interview with the developers. I assume it was a different E3?
I think that was E3 2010 and to be honest, alot of the other CA contributions were nothing but softball, what spoony did was in the lobby not at their booth. All he did was 15-17 sec of rage saying that turning the series into a FPS was a betrayal of the franchise (which it was, and still is, the game is possibly scrapped at this point)

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
LetalisK said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
20 pages..... yes I'm sure we're just whipping a horse beyond death right now.

Lets keep going! Another 10 I say! More Scotch!
Yes! I need some more glue. Keep beating it!

But not so hard that everyone gets stuck together. That'd just be unpleasant. Would make for an interesting social experiment though.
Would it be a spoony, social experiment? I'd totally be up for that.

renaissance_nerd

Jun 25, 2012
runic knight said:
renaissance_nerd said:

I'd call this a lot of things, but "clean" is not one of them.

I'll agree it is kinda fishy it all happening at once, and I already mentioned my opinion that Lupa is not blameless in instigating (I am a little more of the mindset that it was just personality clashing rather then some true intent to get him fired though). I will weigh in as this idea it was planned comes off as a little too much in the matter. I could more see, if you really want to attribute intent here, that perhaps scarlet and lupa took the opportunity to take hits when they felt they could (this being after the initial complaint raised and his issues suspension), and that in turn fanned the flames that, between that, Lordcat, and the fans, might have pushed sppony over the edge.

But all of it planned? That seems really a stretch too far. It was a messy ugly debacle for the site, for lupa (who now has a hell of a backlash I imagine), for the unaffected, for Scarlet (again, I imagine similar to lupa) and pretty much any and all involved or pulled into it. No, "Clean" is not the word for this mess by a long shot.
ok clean perhaps not, agenda maybe? a window of opportunity they couldn't pass up?

Doug goes away on Honeymoon and leavs Holly at the helm, Holly Lupa and Scarlett are all friends. Scarlett being who she is has a well established pattern of Noah bashing and vendetta. Lupa gets the ball rolling with her anti rape blog , Holly lets the TGWTG crew just enough off the leash to bury everything in a flame war (which Lupa and Scarlett both fanned the flames of) and before Doug gets home Spoony is gone. You don't really need the CSI crew to see something is rotten in the state of TGWTG, the backlash could be the fact it was all done so hip shot and half assed because lets face it three average joe chicks (im being nice here) arnt exactly masters of subterfuge and manipulation.

I think Holly is the kicker, without her in the place she is none of this would have went down, remember she had the power to fire Noah. Not to mention anything mentioning the friendship between the three on TGWTG forums is instantly removed, even if it has nothing to do with the incident with spoony. (holly being the HR director she has super admin rights)

Lupa and anyone else on the TGWTG site not punished at all for essentially doing the same thing as Noah (the flame war that is)In a real workplace conflict that degenerated to this both/all parties would get some kind of discipline, not one get fired and the rest scott free.

if this was really a serious event Holly would have clamped a lid on this so tight (as any good HR director would do) telling people what they can and cannot say about it instead she let it degrade into a free for all flame war... i find that interesting to say the least. Was she hoping Noah would go all berserk? ...

I know when someone gets canned at my workplace HR issues an Email saying what we can talk about and what will happen if we break that agreement.

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
I was wondering what'd happened to spoony since he stopped doing print reviews for KOTD.

Always enjoyed his writing, so if he's in a bad mental way right now I hope he gets some help.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
renaissance_nerd said:
ok clean perhaps not, agenda maybe? a window of opportunity they couldn't pass up?

Doug goes away on Honeymoon and leavs Holly at the helm, Holly Lupa and Scarlett are all friends. Scarlett being who she is has a well established pattern of Noah bashing and vendetta. Lupa gets the ball rolling with her anti rape blog , Holly lets the TGWTG crew just enough off the leash to bury everything in a flame war (which Lupa and Scarlett both fanned the flames of) and before Doug gets home Spoony is gone. You don't really need the CSI crew to see something is rotten in the state of TGWTG, the backlash could be the fact it was all done so hip shot and half assed because lets face it three average joe chicks (im being nice here) arnt exactly masters of subterfuge and manipulation.

I think Holly is the kicker, without her in the place she is none of this would have went down, remember she had the power to fire Noah. Not to mention anything mentioning the friendship between the three on TGWTG forums is instantly removed, even if it has nothing to do with the incident with spoony. (holly being the HR director she has super admin rights)

if this was really a serious event Holly would have clamped a lid on this so tight (as any good HR director would do) telling people what they can and cannot say about it instead she let it degrade into a free for all flame war... i find that interesting to say the least. Was she hoping Noah would go all berserk? ...
that is a bit much. there is logic to it, sure, but damn....seems to be reading too much still. Now, if you had some screens of them being buddy-buddy that are no longer there, or something greater then the triple tweet someone posted before, you might be able to make a stronger case, but as it is, still just so wild speculation.

I do have to wonder how Doug will deal with this when he gets back, as I can't imagine him being quiet on it, not with fan rage on both sides and a large member of the site being booted. I only hope spoony keeps his trap shut if he plans to salvage relations. If things were as you presented, I have to imagine Doug would be more in the know about relationships between members of the crew behind the scenes then any of us.

"easy as cake" the third weird captcha today. What are you trying to tell me ?!?

renaissance_nerd

Jun 25, 2012
runic knight said:
renaissance_nerd said:

that is a bit much. there is logic to it, sure, but damn....seems to be reading too much still. Now, if you had some screens of them being buddy-buddy that are no longer there, or something greater then the triple tweet someone posted before, you might be able to make a stronger case, but as it is, still just so wild speculation.

I do have to wonder how Doug will deal with this when he gets back, as I can't imagine him being quiet on it, not with fan rage on both sides and a large member of the site being booted. I only hope spoony keeps his trap shut if he plans to salvage relations. If things were as you presented, I have to imagine Doug would be more in the know about relationships between members of the crew behind the scenes then any of us.

"easy as cake" the third weird captcha today. What are you trying to tell me ?!?
I know Noah respects the hell out of Doug, so yea he is really the last hope to salvage this situation. but mark my words something shifty went down. it's all too convenient to be simple coincidence.

I saw a tweet on the 23 of Holly tweeting "love you" to Scarlett. I doubt i can find it now.

renaissance_nerd

Jun 25, 2012
ha found one better! and anyone who has hung around TGWTG knows already that Lupa is friends with holly.

https://twitter.com/gookygox/status/216330208846938112

Mercsenary

Oct 19, 2008
mizi said:
I've been looking around for opinions on the spoony meltdown on 2012. This gigantic forum thread is basically of the opinion that Spoony wasn't to blame for his outbursts, instead, Lupa / LordKat / Scarlett are evil and utterly responsible. Conspiracy theories run rampant.

In another gigantic forum thread on "Something Awful", the general consensus is that Spoony is a mentally unstable ass whose own juvenile actions were directly responsible for getting him fired from tgwtg.

I'm not sure why opinions vary so drastically between the two forums. Maybe it's because Escapist is a gaming site?
Why cant it be both?

Spoony does have mental issues, I believe he's mentioned them as well as a heart issue.(too much stress makes his heart go wonky)

So the idea that a person in poor mental health would lash out at anyone and everyone willing to help is not inconceivable.

What he did that got him suspended he knew and accepted it.

What he did afterwards... that seems more of a mental breakdown and what SHOULD have happened is that CA extend the suspension indefinitely until Spoony gets control of himself again. Essentially a "We know you have problems. We'd like you to get a handle on it. Until you do, please dont come back."

Instead what happened is that it went from suspension to outright "Pack your things and gtfo"

Oh yes a smart move to take against a depressed angry person.

Thus we have this outburst of vitriol and hate. Which is complicated by Lupa dragging up MONTH OLD SHIT that had LONG been put to rest and brushed off as a joke by its "victim"

Thats how I understand it at least.

Spoony going on a rant. Gets suspended. Rants some more. In the middle of this Lupa takes the opportunity to push him over the edge with old shit and tadah. Shitstorm.

Austichar

Jul 18, 2009
We talked things out and cleared the air on all sides. It was a huge misunderstanding and we've made amends. Holly never did anything wrong and it was just me making a bigger issue out of things than I should have. Sorry to Holly and Welshy for making their jobs harder.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.379574-The-Spoony-One-has-been-ejected-from-That-Guy-With-the-Glasses?page=25#14914102

Teleportman

Jun 24, 2012
Mercsenary said:
mizi said:
I've been looking around for opinions on the spoony meltdown on 2012. This gigantic forum thread is basically of the opinion that Spoony wasn't to blame for his outbursts, instead, Lupa / LordKat / Scarlett are evil and utterly responsible. Conspiracy theories run rampant.

In another gigantic forum thread on "Something Awful", the general consensus is that Spoony is a mentally unstable ass whose own juvenile actions were directly responsible for getting him fired from tgwtg.

I'm not sure why opinions vary so drastically between the two forums. Maybe it's because Escapist is a gaming site?
Why cant it be both?

Spoony does have mental issues, I believe he's mentioned them as well as a heart issue.(too much stress makes his heart go wonky)

So the idea that a person in poor mental health would lash out at anyone and everyone willing to help is not inconceivable.

What he did that got him suspended he knew and accepted it.

What he did afterwards... that seems more of a mental breakdown and what SHOULD have happened is that CA extend the suspension indefinitely until Spoony gets control of himself again. Essentially a "We know you have problems. We'd like you to get a handle on it. Until you do, please dont come back."

Instead what happened is that it went from suspension to outright "Pack your things and gtfo"

Oh yes a smart move to take against a depressed angry person.

Thus we have this outburst of vitriol and hate. Which is complicated by Lupa dragging up MONTH OLD SHIT that had LONG been put to rest and brushed off as a joke by its "victim"

Thats how I understand it at least.

Spoony going on a rant. Gets suspended. Rants some more. In the middle of this Lupa takes the opportunity to push him over the edge with old shit and tadah. Shitstorm.

Really, the whole evil woman triumvirate thing just fascinates some kind of people... So Lupa is this mental ninja that knows the secrets of pint point mind destruction?

If you keep acting like an ass after being suspended for your stupid behaviour towards your coworkers, it clearly shows that you are a loose cannon. Noah is not a teenager, he is an adult on his early thirties that dedicates his life to ranting about other peoples work. He should be mature enough to accept criticism.

JO won?t say a word about anything other than her videos. Her whole ?homophobe scandal? thing showed her to be careful not to draw attention to herself unless she wants flametrolls. As we can see from the whole ?feminist dares to analyze videogames? thing just last week, defending female views is one of the biggest crazy flametroll magnets.

Lupa on the other hand stood up for what she considered bad attitude towards women. Having CA?s big name personality doing misogynist jokes is not ?alright? because he has the blues. She has Twitted that she had contacted Noah about his behaviour in private before to be just brushed off like he does to other people (if she hadn?t, I?m sure Noah would have bitched about her lying). And she went on Twitter when Noah continued to do his tasteless women jokes.

Good for her. Misogynist jokes aren?t offensive just to the people they are directed to; they can also be offensive to other people that hear them. If Noah understood that, he wouldn?t just say sorry just to JO, he would also say sorry to his Twitter followers (because some of them might also be offended). Female co-worker rape jokes are the bottom of the barrel ?comedy? you don?t expect from a guy that talks about crappy games and movies.

Evil woman Holly, if anything, has proven that she knows how to prevent bad PR and do her work. She turned the whole Mara Wilson ticking bomb in one of the best NC moments.

TheGreekGeekPrick

Oct 29, 2011
Good for her. Misogynist jokes aren't offensive just to the people they are directed to; they can also be offensive to other people that hear them. If Noah understood that, he wouldn't just say sorry just to JO, he would also say sorry to his Twitter followers (because some of them might also be offended). Female co-worker rape jokes are the bottom of the barrel "comedy" you don't expect from a guy that talks about crappy games and movies.
Shut your ears and turn your attention elsewhere. Who the hell is Lupa, you or me, for that matter, to decide what people should or shouldn't say? If CA thought Spoony's conduct was problematic for the business, they were right to let him go, but "professionalism" is not something any party directly involved (except JO) can claim. Free speech works both ways. You can't champion one's right to say what they think is right and demand another's equal right is dismissed because you don't like what you hear.

MrMan999

Oct 25, 2011
Khazoth said:
MrMan999 said:
This isn't the first time Lupa has caused a shitstorm.
Source? Information? Anything? Just gonna drop that with no information at all?
I don't know the specifics. But it had something to do with Lupa doing a video on the Original My Little Pony cartoon. She didn't mention the new one so naturally the sentient cesspool that are the bronies took offence. ANd Lupa egged them on until it turned into an allout forum civil war.

Nathan Josephs

Feb 10, 2012
the problem with spoony is that "spoony" isnt a character he plays. its just how he really is. everyone got a nice dose of it back when he did his kingdom hearts livestream and went apeshit on his fans.