The Spoony One has been ejected from That Guy With the Glasses.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
He's been going downhill for a while. The guy used to be funny once upon a time. Go watch his Phantasmagoria lets play and compare to his later vids. There's more variety to his comedy there. It's not all a one note preformance of "This game..! This fucking game! Screeeeeeeee!".

He doesn't produce content nearly often enough and for someone who claims himself to be a workaholic and I'm pretty sure he's not meeting his targets set by Channel Awesome. He makes for a poor journalist when he forays into it and to top it of he's not getting along with the rest of the crew.

Not suprised he got the boot.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
gookygox said:
Welshy said:
Oh I'll def stick around. I'm away from Wednesday for a week filming but then I'll be around to post and mingle. Lol, thanks, although I wouldn't call myself an internet celebrity. Granted, my aim is to become the new guy with the glasses and completely overthrow CA and build it in my image....

This is a private forum isnt it?
Whoa, wait a minute, according to YouTube I'm the one currently enacting a hostile takeover of Channel Awesome, so does that mean when I'm done you'll take it overthrow it from me? Or this is this now a 3-way-battle
What I always wondered is,

A) Did Spoony behave improperly during the 4th year?
B) The complaints via email is the reason that Spoony was fired yes? If so how many emails did you receive that convinced you to remove him? How many does say Doug or sage get?

KirinBoltIndora

Jun 25, 2012
Poor Spoony, but oh well, he brought this on himself.

Either way, what's interesting is in seeing how Channel Awesome handles this. They've dealt with a few contributors in the past for various reasons, but this is the first time someone who was a very significant part of the site has departed and it's someone that was close to all of the producers, and of course their respective fans may be getting into fights right now.

Hopefully we'll see them try to let the situation cool down then move on into figuring out how to contain a similar situation in the future. Doug was able to admit failure like a man for his horrible Let's Play last year (which was so awful it got Retsupurae'd), even going so far as to do an entire commentary about it and relating that they could no longer poke fun at the audience for being dissatisfied with their product, as they were expecting better, and at this point they couldn't attack their fans for criticism. And he was right. Even if you got trolls attacking you, you still never, ever, attack your audience. The reason Spoony is imploding is because he's been doing this for awhile now towards anyone that even had some fair criticism for him, and his emotional and mental state has only worsened his circumstances.

Hopefully in the future they'll mandate that their contributors on the site reign in their usage of Twitter for openly communicating with one another along with discussing site-related stuff openly and instead talk via PM or email. Also I would probably reprimand Alison not because of the whole "She got Spoony fired." nonsense (because that's not what happened), but because she kept talking about the situation after he had departed when she should have kept her mouth shut over the issue, and in the future install some policies that mandate everyone keep their mouths shut on issues like this if/when they arise.

While the situation really breaks down to Noah being irresponsible and having a poor attitude, the whole thing has become very public thanks to the people involved and their fans exacerbating the magnitude of the situation even further so now a lot of people are aware of this stuff going on. I imagine there's gonna be a lot of site and policy changes to try and lower the profile of such a thing if it ever happens again in the future.

Teleportman

Jun 24, 2012
malestrithe said:
Teleportman said:
Ok guys, so, lets play a little game:

In his depression Noah doesn?t make a rape joke. He makes a RACIST joke directed at, lets say the Blockbuster Buster.
A month later, after another racist comment; the SheRap Critic says he can?t follow him when he says stuff like that. Noah, ignores him with a joke. RP says he can?t feel sympathy for him when he called BB (insert racist joke).
Thing makes Noah lass out because he already said sorry to BB and feels that no one should find a racist joke offensive.
The PR of CH, ?Bob?, intervenes. Noah gets suspended for some weeks but continues to rage and gets kicked out (or leaves himself).

Soooooo, is the RapCritic overreacting? Is Spoony out of line. Or do we have a two girls and a guy conspiracy?
This is a logical fallacy. You can't simply substitute people and terms and expect it to work.
Yes I can because I want to show something. Racism is not tolerated like misogyny and rape are. It is the one "politically incorrect" stamped behaviour that gets looked down upon the most (thank the stars for that!!!). Others PC/PI labelled things like misogyny get "make me a sandwitch", "shut up..." memes, comments and the like pasted everywhere. Their existence is viewed like an impediment against freedom of speech when they really are there to instil empathy and respect towards those that suffer them.

Half of our species fears getting raped especially because it is a reality that tragically ends up happening a freaking lot in pretty much EVERY part of the planet. Sadly the internet yelling and flaming fad has degenerated in some cases to thinking that insulting others were it hurts is a way to defend ?freedom of speech?. But even those ranters stay away form racism unless they want to get cornered in the darkest parts of the net.

The great majority of the general public respects the idea that making racist remarks towards others should not get a "it is a joke haha" free pass (again, fantastic!). It is not the same with mysonigist remarks.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Holy crap. I haven't followed these guys for about a year (been busy, what can Is say?), but I didn't expect Spoony to go totally ape-shit on us. This is sad news, Spoony was my favorite. :(

renaissance_nerd

Jun 25, 2012
Teleportman said:
malestrithe said:
Teleportman said:
Ok guys, so, lets play a little game:

In his depression Noah doesn?t make a rape joke. He makes a RACIST joke directed at, lets say the Blockbuster Buster.
A month later, after another racist comment; the SheRap Critic says he can?t follow him when he says stuff like that. Noah, ignores him with a joke. RP says he can?t feel sympathy for him when he called BB (insert racist joke).
Thing makes Noah lass out because he already said sorry to BB and feels that no one should find a racist joke offensive.
The PR of CH, ?Bob?, intervenes. Noah gets suspended for some weeks but continues to rage and gets kicked out (or leaves himself).

Soooooo, is the RapCritic overreacting? Is Spoony out of line. Or do we have a two girls and a guy conspiracy?
This is a logical fallacy. You can't simply substitute people and terms and expect it to work.
Yes I can because I want to show something. Racism is not tolerated like misogyny and rape are. It is the one "politically incorrect" stamped behaviour that gets looked down upon the most (thank the stars for that!!!). Others PC/PI labelled things like misogyny get "make me a sandwitch", "shut up..." memes, comments and the like pasted everywhere. Their existence is viewed like an impediment against freedom of speech when they really are there to instil empathy and respect towards those that suffer them.

Half of our species fears getting raped especially because it is a reality that tragically ends up happening a freaking lot in pretty much EVERY part of the planet. Sadly the internet yelling and flaming fad has degenerated in some cases to thinking that insulting others were it hurts is a way to defend ?freedom of speech?. But even those ranters stay away form racism unless they want to get cornered in the darkest parts of the net.

The great majority of the general public respects the idea that making racist remarks towards others should not get a "it is a joke haha" free pass (again, fantastic!). It is not the same with mysonigist remarks.

i'm not trying to be offensive here but I don't want to hear misogyny being brought into this, because for every misogyny claim at TGWTG I can point to at least two instances of man bashing. TGWTG has a huge gender bias and leans sharply towards protecting female sensibilities and largely ignoring male. I have no doubt at all that if the "rape joke" was said to a TGWTG male no one would have had a problem with it even if the male was offended.

and let's be clear here , a joke is a joke is a joke, like the avenue Q song states, "everybody's a little bit racist"

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
Did any of you guys troll Lordkat's twitter?

He got spammed with "go kill yourself" tweets and is blaming this community for it.

https://twitter.com/LordKaT/status/217654359398428674

renaissance_nerd

Jun 25, 2012
Chertan said:

He got spammed with "go kill yourself" tweets and is blaming this community for it.

LordFat loves to blame anything but himself.

No one forced him to go batshit and say what he said, so deal with the backlash. I don't approve of telling anyone to kill themselves so I'll just say LordKat can go fuck himself.

"The COmmunity IS the site, you don't exist without it" this right here shows what a moron Lordkat is, and how he loves to lump groups together. Using his logic just because he's from NYC he's a crack head, homeless subway person living in a box because you know they live there too.

random281

Mar 10, 2012
renaissance_nerd said:
i'm not trying to be offensive here but I don't want to hear misogyny being brought into this, because for every misogyny claim at TGWTG I can point to at least two instances of man bashing. TGWTG has a huge gender bias and leans sharply towards protecting female sensibilities and largely ignoring male. I have no doubt at all that if the "rape joke" was said to a TGWTG male no one would have had a problem with it even if the male was offended.

and let's be clear here , a joke is a joke is a joke, like the avenue Q song states, "everybody's a little bit racist"
You do realize that the "joke" was one of a string of incidents over the last six months, right? It's not just one joke or one incident that got him canned, it's everything that's been going on for the last half a year.

Also, you seem to be forgetting that "joke" was specifically directed at a female co-worker. If he was just making rape jokes, it might have been no harm, no foul. It was about a co-worker and he posted it in a public place.

renaissance_nerd

Jun 25, 2012
random281 said:
renaissance_nerd said:

You do realize that the "joke" was one of a string of incidents over the last six months, right? It's not just one joke or one incident that got him canned, it's everything that's been going on for the last half a year.

Also, you seem to be forgetting that "joke" was specifically directed at a female co-worker. If he was just making rape jokes, it might have been no harm, no foul. It was about a co-worker and he posted it in a public place.
and I maintain had it been directed to a male at TGWTG noone would have done anything about it,

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Teleportman said:
No, you can't do that. You are doing something like this: You are taking "The Right to Keep and Bear Arms," and turning it into the "Right to Keep and Bear Books." That does not work a rhetoric device.

The argument you are trying to copy is unique to that situation and that situation alone. It does not work if you do a find/replace on a few terms and trying to argue that new point.

If you had a different structure and approached it from that angle, then yes it would work. This one does not.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
People are still going on about this? It was days ago who gives a shit, Spoony isn't even funny or relevant anymore.

renaissance_nerd

Jun 25, 2012
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
People are still going on about this? It was days ago who gives a shit, Spoony isn't even funny or relevant anymore.
and you had to chime in with your two cents when you could have easily ignored something you don't wish to discuss. For the record you're less relevant than Noah, do you have almost 30,000 twitter followers?

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
renaissance_nerd said:
and I maintain had it been directed to a male at TGWTG noone would have done anything about it,
Whether true or not is Irrelevant. We do not live in that universe where Spoony directed those jokes at the male employees. We live in this one where he did. It's not worth your time holding onto this notion because you will never know.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Chertan said:

While I think he acted like a childish douche, his reply to Susan is pretty witty.

I can't say I feel too bad about this whole thing. I like Spoony's reviews and he is a pretty funny guy. Just hope his health's good and will stay that way. Whenever I wanna see him, I'll just visit his site. If anything, CA is at loss here. They lost a funny reviewer, but are still keeping a dozen dull people with webcams.