The Stanley Parable Maker Promises to Change "Racist" Image

baconmaster

Apr 15, 2008
I think this is ridiculous. Yet again, people are completely failing to see the point of a joke. It's a parody of 50s adverts. It's using humor to point out racism.

Goodbye, dark humour. I'll miss you.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
So... the idea that "setting black children on fire is something you shouldn't do" has somehow been considered racist? This has nothing to do with ethnicity! This is like that "Derpy" fiasco that got bronies all caught up in a tizzy a while back! By "censoring" this image, you are removing effectiveness and making it more offensive.

I say "KEEP IT THE SAME!" It's far, far better this way.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I can understand some people being upset and offended by this, after all, the 50's where an offensive time period if you were a Minority in the United States. However, I'm surprised no one has claimed they are "Offended" By the Trollish nature of the Developers who refuse to give straightforward answers on Secrets within the game.

Either way, I'm still getting this game. I myself was not offended by the images (I've seen the LP's), but I won't miss them either as long as the joke stays intact.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Considering that the joke would work the same if it was a white kid, there's no offensive language or imagery, and burning the black kid is presented as the wrong thing to do, I don't see why people are so up in arms about this and calling it racist.

soulfire130

Jun 15, 2010
Yeah. I don't think this will go the complainers want.

Remember Raphael.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ-IcS7mRSk

I will be surprised if womething like this didn't happen.

EDIT: Brain farted and forgot how to embed a video.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I thought it was funny because it was close to the bone. I don't see how it is actually racist. I guess the creator doesn't want to make any waves and at the end of the day the race of the kid doesn't matter a bit so it's not like it makes any difference.

also remind me to disable automatic updates for this game...

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
MarcellusMagnus said:
Let this be a lesson to you, Internet: if you want something changed, the key point is claiming to be offended (preferably on behalf of minorities or women).

When thousands of people were ranting and raving pages long about the ending of Mass Effect 3, the complaints were about the game's failings as an interactive story: "inconsistent with the rest of the trilogy", "doesn't provide closure", "makes the player's prior decisions irrelevant". In response, the gaming media came down on them with universal scorn and ridicule, calling them "entitled whiny babies" and claiming that if Bioware changed their supposed artistic decision, the credibility of the entire medium would be RUINED FOREVER. Bioware itself clammed up for months, and only after it was impossible to ignore the crowd did it announce a DLC that would paint over the most glaring problems.

With The Stanley Parable, a single person tweeted about the perceived racism of a joke, and the developer was immediately willing to listen and change the game. (To be fair, a small or one-man team is always easier to communicate with and persuade than a large company.) The gaming media seems to have no problem with this, and if commenters bring up the issue of artistic expression, they'll likely be characterized as "just a bunch of racists".

(I should probably note that I haven't played either game myself, I'm just fascinated by the way these discussions go.)
Sad but true. We should have said Mass Effect 3 offended Reaper minorities all around the world with that ending maybe then they would have listened :(

DarkDain

Jul 31, 2007
Clive Howlitzer said:
No one has a sense of humor anymore. Everyone has such thin skin. Lets turn eeeveerything into a racist issue.
Someday our skin will be SO thin we will all be the same tissue/blood-vein color, thus curing racism forever.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
People seem to be overreacting to this.

He got two complaints that said they were uncomfortable with the depiction as they felt it was racist and the lovely maker decided to change the game as he understood his concerns. I kinda like this story to be honest, it doesn't sound like anyone overeacted, or demanded anything but came to a mutual understanding. This all sounds very civilised until I read the comments.

Ken Polley

Nov 2, 2013
I am saddened because I have an appreciation for black humor, especially in its use as social commentary. This is just another example of why satire is dead, and our language and social intercourse are poorer for it.

rumdumconundrum

Jun 6, 2012
I'm reminded of a statement by Steven Fry:
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so f***ing what."

I wonder, if it were an impoverished Russian child or a destitute Chechnyan girl (you know, places that also have huges issues with poverty and hunger), would this person have the same issue with it? Would he have immediately raised a flag and said "that's offensive?"

Also, HOW was it racist? Really, how? It's never explained what exactly his complaint was.

I'm more irritated by the principle of it than how it affects the game. If the game maker decided to change it, okay, that's his choice. I just find it strange that he's more bothered by it being a BLACK child set on fire instead of just a CHILD being set on fire.