The Steam Link App Lets You Play PC Games on Your Samsung Smart TV

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The Steam Link App Lets You Play PC Games on Your Samsung Smart TV

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1421/1421868.jpgIf you've got a newer Samsung Smart TV, you can get the Steam Link app to stream your PC games.

The Steam Link box lets you stream your PC games to your television for $50, but if you own a 2016 or 2017 Samsung Smart TV, you can grab the Steam Link app for free. The app has left beta, and is now available for download in the Smart Hub app store, according to this post [https://steamcommunity.com/app/353380/discussions/0/1470841715961756723/] in the Steam Link Community.

There are a few caveats to keep in mind, First, you'll need a TV from 2016 or 2017. Next, you need to make sure that your TV's firmware is up to date. Finally, you'll need a compatible controller. The post lists the following models as options:

Steam Controller
Xbox 360 wired and wireless
Xbox One wired
Logitech F510/F710

It's also worth noting that there is one known issue listed: Rumble on Xbox controllers causes a lag spike. The Link team is already working on a fix for the issue, so hopefully it will be resolved soon.

You'll still have to deal with the latency in your home network, but if you have the right TV, this app will save you $50, and that's always a good thing. There's no word from Valve on when or if the app might come to other smart TVs, but there are plenty of requests mentioned in the community already.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
008Zulu said:
I have been doing this for years, it's called an HDMI cable.
Wired isn't great for everyone who doesn't keep their PCs near their TVs. Also, you can start/select games and stuff with the app, so no need to go back to your computer to start the game if you just want to use a controller on the couch.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
008Zulu said:
I have been doing this for years, it's called an HDMI cable.
Works great for me as I can now plug in a controller or KB/M without sacrificing an HDMI port and the space on my entertainment center/dresser. It has a few bugs, and works best wired, but overall its a nice thing, and even nicer I don't have to buy a separate piece of hardware.