The Stuff removed / changed / pulled relating to Trump

Exley97

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 11, 2020
Country
United States
Wait, hold on...I was reliably informed by reputable sources that no Parler users were at the Capitol building riots. Wha happened???

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Orrrr they published an article discussing using health issues as attack campaigns. Then in the days following, they published articles summing up the health information which both parties were self reporting about their candidates.
You wouldn't know that based off the headlines/tweets. And that's enough to influence people.

Here's another from a difference source this time:

OOh, here's another good one from CNN

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Great! I wonder if anybody ever saw it, or if it was buried? I don't see CNN, or even the

Like I said, #2 is just to set the scene for the audience so that they can get the context of why CNN changed their tune in article #3
I'm not saying it's a value judgement or assuming a negative value judgement. I said as much with my last post:

"No, that was actually a three parter: 1) Everyone needs family leave! 2) Trump announces family leave 3) Family leave hurts women!
The double-standard is supposed to be between #1 and #3, not #1 and #2."

The headline is enough to influence people, as I already explained to you.

That must be why they pulled the tweet, they couldn't both slam Trump for attacking Hillary's health and report on her health without even looking like greater hypocrites.

Reactions: happyninja42

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The headline is enough to influence people, as I already explained to you.
I find it really interesting that you believe a simplistic, attention-grabbing soundbite in a headline is enough to "mentally condition" readers to hate Trump, and that this is to the media's detriment... but when Trump says things like "Mexicans are bringing drugs, they're bringing crime, they're rapists", you opined that we should dig into the context of the speech to come to a really charitable interpretation.

Oh no, he wasn't "mentally conditioning" to hate people with that attention-grabbing soundbite. He just meant the illegal criminal ones, even though that's not what he said. We have to sift through the context there. /s

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I find it really interesting that you believe a simplistic, attention-grabbing soundbite in a headline is enough to "mentally condition" readers to hate Trump, and that this is to the media's detriment... but when Trump says things like "Mexicans are bringing drugs, they're bringing crime, they're rapists", you opined that we should dig into the context of the speech to come to a really charitable interpretation.
Because Trump isn't a journalist. He doesn't write headlines for a living.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
You wouldn't know that based off the headlines/tweets. And that's enough to influence people.

Here's another from a difference source this time:

OOh, here's another good one from CNN
You're being incapable of understanding the basics of journalism despite it being explained to you only a few posts ago; we understand this already. You don't need to keep proving it by posting these "gotchas" that a literal 3rd grader would see through.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I've never heard of slate, and given those headlines, I probably never will.

As for the CNN bit, two weeks passed, and they were proven to be wrong. Okay? The press gets things wrong? They aren't omnipotent?

Wouldn't it fit your point better if they buried the wiretap story, instead of featuring an exclusive on it?

Also at least one of those is an editorial. Which is absolutely a fault in how news is presented and perceived, with editorial headlines being listed the same as breaking news.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
You're being incapable of understanding the basics of journalism despite it being explained to you only a few posts ago; we understand this already. You don't need to keep proving it by posting these "gotchas" that a literal 3rd grader would see through.
So you understand that the media sowing division and hate through their double-standards and bias?
That's all I ask you to recognize.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Wait, hold on...I was reliably informed by reputable sources that no Parler users were at the Capitol building riots. Wha happened???

I mean this story came out last Thursday:

Nicholas Ochs, founder of the Proud Boys Hawaii chapter and failed Republican state house candidate, was arrested last Thursday in connection with the storming of the capitol. He's also a confirmed Parler user; his posts were even included in the FBI's affidavit for the case.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was verifiably wrong even before people started saying it.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
As for the CNN bit, two weeks passed, and they were proven to be wrong. Okay? The press gets things wrong? They aren't omnipotent?
In that case, the ethical thing would be to print a retraction or correction, not just switch mid-sentence to talking about the war against Eurasia that's always existed, right?

I don't think it's a case about being wrong, it's a case of making things look bad for Trump as much as possible.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
In that case, the ethical thing would be to print a retraction or correction, not just switch mid-sentence to talking about the war against Eurasia that's always existed, right?

I don't think it's a case about being wrong, it's a case of making things look bad for Trump as much as possible.
Okay but those 3 screenshots lack any context to show whether they did or did not admit wrong and issue a retraction or not. Also one was an editorial so they probably didn't because it was an interpretation, not a news report.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Okay but those 3 screenshots lack any context to show whether they did or did not admit wrong and issue a retraction or not. Also one was an editorial so they probably didn't because it was an interpretation, not a news report.
I googled "CNN wiretap "correction"" and didn't find anything relevant, also the stories are still up make all the same claims, and don't have any disclaimers about being corrected.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
You think he even bothered to read beyond the headlines?

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Fair enough. Though I will point out a baseless claim can end up being true, so no retraction required, and the one calling him a liar is an editorial, otherwise known as an opinion piece.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Fair enough. Though I will point out a baseless claim can end up being true, so no retraction required, and the one calling him a liar is an editorial, otherwise known as an opinion piece.
That's also fair enough.
Surely how you can see how one might glance at that headline, and have their opinion of Trump sour, right? That's my point. I think they're doing this intentionally because they're biased against Trump, and stuff like this further contributes to hate, not unity.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Working class hero

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
That's also fair enough.
Surely how you can see how one might glance at that headline, and have their opinion of Trump sour, right? That's my point. I think they're doing this intentionally because they're biased against Trump, and stuff like this further contributes to hate, not unity.
Here's my super blunt answer: I think anyone forming their opinion around a headline of an article they didn't read, is an asshole not worth listening to.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
This is actually more on-topic than the CNN stuff, as it directly relates to internet censorship, politics, and elections:

Here's my super blunt answer: I think anyone forming their opinion around a headline of an article they didn't read, is an asshole not worth listening to.
Yeah, but people do that all the time, and then go vote.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
That's democracy for you.

I will reiterate that I think a lot of sites have a real problem in the presentation of editorial headlines and articles not being significantly distinct enough from their breaking news counterparts.

Reactions: Houseman

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Yes. Are you aware that most journalists and writers don't get carte blanche to have whatever they write appear on the site? That their opinions can be edited, approved, denied, or requested? It would be one thing if it were closer to a user-generated platform, but news orgs are not that. If an org wants to have an anti or pro-Trump bias, they'll make it happen.
Yes I am aware. But I'm not the one acting like a media organisation putting different views in their output is evidence that there's something wrong with that organisation.

This is fun, here's another, this time by the same reporter, changing his story because Trump said it.
These articles are actually quite consistent, if you take the time to read them. I'm guessing you only read the headlines.