The Summer Games Return to Overwatch Next Week

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The Summer Games Return to Overwatch Next Week

This year's version of the Overwatch Summer Games kicks off next Tuesday.

Last year, Blizzard introduced timed events to Overwatch with the aptly-named "Summer Games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168092-Overwatch-Summer-Olympics-Promotion]." Running alongside the Summer Olympics, the event brought new skins and new game modes to Overwatch. This year, the Summer Games are returning, and they're kicking off next week.

If you were playing during last year's event, you probably remember Lucioball, the soccer-like game mode that pitted two teams full of Lucios against each other. That mode will be returning, and there have been some changes, like the removal of the ability to push the enemy goalie out of the way, and some changes to Lucio's ultimate during those games. There is also a three-week season of competitive Lucioball kicking off alongside the event.

There will be new Summer Games skins this year, and last year's skins will be available as well. All skins, both this year's and last year's, will be able to be unlocked by credits, with the older skins coming at a discounted price.

New Legendary skins will cost 3,000 credits, Epic skins will clock in at 750 credits, Rare skins at 250 credits, and Common skins 75 credits.

Last year's skins will be sold at typical loot box rates, with Legendary skins costing 1,000 credits, Epics 250 credits, Rare skins cost 75 credits, and Common skins will run 25 credits.

If you'd rather hear this info than read it, you can watch Game Director Jeff Kaplan talk about the event in the video above. The 2017 Summer Games kick off next Tuesday, August 8, and run through Tuesday, August 29.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
ffronw said:
Last year's skins will be sold at typical loot box rates, with Legendary skins costing 1,000 credits, Epics 250 credits, Rare skins cost 75 credits, and Common skins will run 25 credits.
Ok, I'll admit it, this has made a lot of my bile towards the loot boxes...well not disappear but...regress. I still don't like them, I'd rather we didn't have them, but this? I do think this is a step in the right direction. Particularly if this continues with all of the events that we had. It'll be annoying if there are a lot of really good skins in the new batch, but at least I'll know that next year I'll be able to have another go at them.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
even if the skins do nothing to the character, its still a bit frustrating that you cant have them as such. at times getting a box that contains them is pretty rare or even getting ingame money to buy is rare as well. but well, maybe this time i may get something.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Metalrocks said:
even if the skins do nothing to the character, its still a bit frustrating that you cant have them as such. at times getting a box that contains them is pretty rare or even getting ingame money to buy is rare as well. but well, maybe this time i may get something.
Given the rebalance of the boxes recently, it should be easier to get these either directly or via coins as dupes are rarer and those you do get are worth more (along the actual coin drops)

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I bought Overwatch last year in the middle of the Summer Games event and it'd be nice to get some of the old stuff that I didn't really have the chance to then. Unfortunately I probably wont get that chance as I ran out of Gold time for my Xbox account over two months ago and have been physically unable to get more as of late.