The Sunday Funnies, Now With Extra Sunday Flavor

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The Sunday Funnies, Now With Extra Sunday Flavor

Mmmm...delicious Sunday flavor. So good on toast.

Studies show that Sunday Funnies aren't just good, they're good for you, too. Make sure you get your recommended daily allowance right here at The Escapist. Don't trust those knock-off versions you hear about in spam emails.

Remember, if you have a favorite, be sure to let us know. If you want to catch up on any issues you've missed, here you go: Issue Seven [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100595-Announcing-The-Sunday-Funnies].

<br clear=both>

The Escapist Radio Theater [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/escapistradiotheater/8019-The-Escapist-Radio-Theater-8]
Sometimes a show's just a show, and that's all these five friends want to pull off. With a dilapidated (but functional) recording studio in their basement, Sam and Evan decide they can put together a kick ass gaming podcast and have a great time doing it. While spending the minimum of costs, of course. Is fame on the horizon? Is it even on their minds? Unlikely. Not while they're a bit too busy with their consoles to notice.

Jory

Dec 16, 2009
Love Paused :( Bumhug parade is my second favourite. Don't really care for the others.

MomoHime64

Jul 4, 2010
I love Escapist Radio Theatre! Seriously. The art is amazing and the writing's amusing. Want MORE than just one a week. Also, did I meantion the art is amazing? I *wish* I could figure how to draw like this.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Space Jawa said:
No Paused?
TheComedown said:
Same good stuff, but where did Paused go?
Snarky Username said:
Aww, Paused was my favorite...
MissPixxie said:
Same as the above - No Paused this week?
Ninja'd by all of you.

Susan Arendt said:
We didn't get a new installment of Paused in time for this issue of the Funnies. Sorry. :(
You'll have it next week though, right?

I love that strip.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Mornelithe said:
The Funnies have been dead to me, ever since Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes went away.
this man speaks for my heart, Calvin and Hobbes we hardly knew ye.

yet somehow I am left with a Live Action Marmaduke

Remy Cambridge

Feb 8, 2010
MomoHime64 said:
I love Escapist Radio Theatre! Seriously. The art is amazing and the writing's amusing. Want MORE than just one a week. Also, did I meantion the art is amazing? I *wish* I could figure how to draw like this.
While I deeply appreciate the ringing endorsement, I know for a fact that if I was getting these out more than once a week I'd probably shoot myself by the end of it. But if you have any specific questions related to the art half, please feel free to ask via a message or in the comments thread of each strip. I often try to go over the concept stuff and some of the technical elements that go into putting one of these together.

But on a more pressing matter, I do hope to see Paused again. Two weeks from now can't come soon enough.

Hucket

Apr 29, 2010
Puased Is my fav. but I;ll look for it next week. I love Name Game, its so funny XD

MomoHime64

Jul 4, 2010
Remy Cambridge said:
While I deeply appreciate the ringing endorsement, I know for a fact that if I was getting these out more than once a week I'd probably shoot myself by the end of it. But if you have any specific questions related to the art half, please feel free to ask via a message or in the comments thread of each strip. I often try to go over the concept stuff and some of the technical elements that go into putting one of these together.

But on a more pressing matter, I do hope to see Paused again. Two weeks from now can't come soon enough.
Ah, no no, I wouldn't presume to think I could do this - it's not a matter of knowing technique, necessarily, but I'm sure you have more patience than I do. I love sketching, doodles and charactertures, but I just don't have the patience to do more than that at this point (full time job plus college plus small child in my life = very little time left for delayed-gratification endeavors). But maybe one day, I'll have the patience to do something this polished. But I do want to know - do you do this all digitally, or do you draw the art in a physical media first? The digital illustration programs I've used tend to either fall short on recreating the appearance/feel of graphite, or at least were so tetchy that it took a while and an undue amount of fiddling for me to find a wacom pen-nub/brush combination that worked well.

Also, to clarify - if more than one Escapist Radio Theatre a week leads to the artist shooting himself, then I prefer to wait for more comics. Just making that clear.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Macgyvercas said:
Space Jawa said:
No Paused?
TheComedown said:
Snarky Username said:
MissPixxie said:
Ninja'd by all of you.

Susan Arendt said:
We didn't get a new installment of Paused in time for this issue of the Funnies. Sorry. :(

I love that strip.
Well, we'll have it the next time the Funnies run, which is in two weeks.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Macgyvercas said:
Space Jawa said:
No Paused?
TheComedown said:
Snarky Username said:
MissPixxie said:
Ninja'd by all of you.

Susan Arendt said:

I love that strip.
Well, we'll have it the next time the Funnies run, which is in two weeks.
Out of curiosity, why do you have these every two weeks? Is it a deal with the artists or something?

Remy Cambridge

Feb 8, 2010
MomoHime64 said:
But I do want to know - do you do this all digitally, or do you draw the art in a physical media first? The digital illustration programs I've used tend to either fall short on recreating the appearance/feel of graphite, or at least were so tetchy that it took a while and an undue amount of fiddling for me to find a wacom pen-nub/brush combination that worked well.
Everything is being done digitally in Photoshop. But I must admit a deep fondness for real graphite, so much so that I spent a good amount of a year towards simulating both the appearance and feel.

There are a few other programs that can do this without the hassle. Artrage for one, has a beautifully realized digital pencil and is a very cheap program to boot. I would recommend it for playing around, and potentially using it to supplement other image editing programs.

I spent a lot of time trying other programs, and finding appropriate combinations among them to find a method which suits both my temperament and schedule. In the end I reduced it down to just Photoshop, and developed a digital pencil to use inside it. As for the wacom and nub plasticky glazed feel? Well... I'll just say when you draw enough digitally you can get over it eventually.