The Tactical Shooter Genre

Scolar Visari

Jan 8, 2008
I can already hear the groaning when people see the word tactical shooters but hear me out for once. Game series like Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon used to be the games to play if you were looking for a realistic game that required teamwork to get anywhere. Nowadays we have things like recharging health, people dressed in wife beaters in retarded camos and people going of and doing there own thing in search of personal glory. Developers like Ubisoft used to make some of the best tactical games out there but as of late they seem to be dumming the experience down in the hopes it will attract the Halo crowd. So I ask The Escapist will the tactical shooter genre be replaced for a more user friendly arcady experience.

www.xmg360.com/forum/index.php?topic=16976.0

Here is a link to a site that contains an interview with Codemasters who are currently working on the latest Operation Flashpoint. Lets all hope the game isn't pushed back any farther than it already is.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Srsly. I want a game where a Mic is fucking REQUIRED.

Like, if you don't have a high quality, GTFO.

TF2 has a good teamwork element, but I'm waiting for Zipper with Socom4.

Scolar Visari

Jan 8, 2008
Aries_Split post=9.68245.622472 said:
Srsly. I want a game where a Mic is fucking REQUIRED.

Like, if you don't have a high quality, GTFO.

TF2 has a good teamwork element, but I'm waiting for Zipper with Socom4.
Socom 4 looks pretty good especially now that I have a PS3. Concerning the Mic I have to agree, I can't tell you how many times been killed because a teammate doesn't think it's important to discuss strategy or call out enemies.

Scolar Visari

Jan 8, 2008
The big thing for me was that people really had to communicate to play the game. I made a few longstanding friends in Flashpoint and I still see them today. I tried Swat 4 and found the single player to be really good but in my first online match my team mate kept killing me and when I fought back I was booted.

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
dude i love the tactical shooter genre. the concept of teamwork in an fps appeals to me a lot. ive been playing through r6v2 single player and when i hop online with it, im hoping for a good teamwork based game, i guess ill find out. i also played the single player ghost recon, the original one, that was a great game! it was a lot of fun. any games these days that people can recommend for a good online teamwork community?

OverlordSteve

Jul 8, 2008
I like it will. People complain when things get complicated, and they complain when they're too simple, but simple things are easier to pick up.

Scarletmarine

Aug 11, 2008
I think that if the tactical shoot genre does die they should make one last ultimate Tactical Shooter. Make gun use alittle more realistic. Like if you have a heavy machine gun shouldn't your character be alittle slower. And guns like the m16A1 that suck in real life should fault and suck in the game. With the mic thing, In single player it should have voice commands for team mates. Rainbow 6 series was alot of fun but not realistic enough. By realistic I don't mean if you get shot once your owned(difficulty).
xoxo

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Let me tell you, the action twitch shooter is in far worse shape than the tactical shooter is.

|.|HaL

Apr 12, 2008
I still play Ghost Recon multiplayer, it's still fun and there's some good players out there. A lot of my buddies have migrated to Urban Terror tho - it's supposed to be quite good but I've only played it once or twice. It's faster paced than GhR but there's a realistic/tactical element to the action. Maybe some of you should check it out; it uses the q3 engine but it's now standalone/free and available for PC, Mac and Linux: -

http://www.urbanterror.net/news.php

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
I am not sure about your experiences, but everytime I play a "tactical" shooter, the only thing anyone does in charge head-on like they are playing Halo. Gears of War is my best example. Noone uses the cover system. They just mash the A button, doing acrobatics, and using the shotgun. I think the tactical genre died as fast as it begun.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Yeah the tactical shooter genre is practically a joke now, BiA: HH looks like "Rainbow Six: Vegas" all over again, and hell if anything, just put a "cover system" in your game and you can pass it off as a "tactical" shooter, oh yeah, maybe one or two squad commands - but that's really it nowadays.

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
i hear gears 2 will rape you up the bum if you refuse to do anything tactical whatsoever. which i'm glad about, because it's better than running head on chainsaws or shotguns and going down like and idiot.

edit: you can also have grenade proximity mines and bullets have stopping power, i could go on but i won't for fear of becoming...A FANBOY!

Eyclonus

Apr 12, 2008
Tactical shooter is a label to often stuck onto anything that isn't blatantly sci-fi. It gets annoying because GR1 and the first few Rainbow 6s were good

T.H.O.R

Jun 24, 2008
I play CoD4 on PC. I'm in a Tactical Realism clan, and we have the best TR Mod out there. Intense teamwork is required to succeed...it's a blast to play - having your teammates actually tell you where enemies are, helping a wounded buddy bandage. Sure, there's a short bit of personal glory - but that's built into shooters. But to win..you have to work with your team. Our server is mostly active in the evenings.

If any of you PC CoD4 players are interested in a more tactical approach to CoD4 you can PM me and I'll give you my Xfire and our Server IPs.

It's a ton of fun.