The TakeOver is out on Switch! I repeat, The TakeOver is out on Switch, now! And now PS4/5!

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Looks like the Diet Coke version of Streets of Rage 4 to me. Rather just get that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Looks like the Diet Coke version of Streets of Rage 4 to me. Rather just get that.
TTO started development 2014/2015 and was made as sequel/spiritual successor, because none of us thought 4 would ever exist. Obviously, this ended up changing the competition when 4 was announced. I still prefer SOR4, but don't underestimate TTO. The game is basically Streets of Rage 3 with guns, chain comboing (less punishing and less strict compared to SOR4), universal rolls and dashing, and the two out of main three are copies of Axel & Blaze, if they were married and adopted a daughter. You have two attack buttons (while SOR4 always gave you one), a special health draining button with a forward input, and you can juggle enemies with gun fire. Also, your two regular attack buttons has an up input that can launch and juggle enemies, while the downward input is a combo ender, but does twice the damage. You can't wall bounce enemies like in SOR4, but I am not going to hold the game against it. Check out some of these sick moves you can pull off.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
It looks pretty interesting, it seems to actual have some decent moves and combos. Not as in-depth as say Bayo/DMC or a fighting game but more than a standard brawler does. That's weird that it's not on PS4 yet, but I wishlisted it on Steam hunting for a discount as I got quite a few other games to get around to.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I bought the game on eShop earlier today. I already did my first playthrough. The game more or less runs great like the Steam version. I noticed that sometimes the game will give a slight pause if there's too many enemies on screen, but those are rare. It would happen on the Steam version too. I am gonna play more later.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not as in-depth as say Bayo/DMC or a fighting game but more than a standard brawler does
I know you're not implying it, I am glad that every brawler does not need to be Bayonetta or Devil May Cry. The closest I can think to a 2.5D brawler that is DMC-like is the 3DS Senran Kagura games. The other games in the franchise are combination of DMC and Dynasty Warriors. Ironically, the combat in Streets of Rage 4 is very similar to DMC in some ways with the games more liberal use of air and juggle combos. SOR4 even has a style meter and ranking system that goes from D-S.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Physical copies can now be pre-ordered.