The Tale of Princess Kaguya Wows with Stunning Animation

harpere

May 20, 2014
The Tale of Princess Kaguya Wows with Stunning Animation

The latest from Studio Ghibli is the studio's most beautiful film yet.

Read Full Article

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
This comes out on my birthday.

I get the feeling there is a bait and switch happening here.

Didn't Miyazaki retire? I feel like they are saying, "from the creator of these great animes... but only by the letter, cause it's not the creator you're thinking of."

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how it seems to me.

I'm not sure I could watch an entire movie like that though, it's too rough.

Also, I wish this clip had given me an idea of what this movie is about.

Edit:
Oh... but the article does. Who reads? Fuck reading.

ojii

Oct 21, 2009
Draconalis: this came out in Japan way before Miyazakis retirement announcement. it's a true ghibli movie with the usual stunning art. highly recommended.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
It's unfortunate to say I have to associate the name of this great movie with that of the supposed final villain from Naruto (fucking moon *****). Either way I will probably see this movie in theaters and enjoy it as best I can.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
That trailer looks beautiful - especially the emotional bit when the artstyle just goes crazy.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Eh, not my kinda artstyle.
I prefer stuff like 'Garden of Words'.

Might check it out for the story though.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Draconalis said:
This comes out on my birthday.

I get the feeling there is a bait and switch happening here.

Didn't Miyazaki retire? I feel like they are saying, "from the creator of these great animes... but only by the letter, cause it's not the creator you're thinking of."

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how it seems to me.

I'm not sure I could watch an entire movie like that though, it's too rough.

Also, I wish this clip had given me an idea of what this movie is about.

Edit:
Oh... but the article does. Who reads? Fuck reading.
No bait and switch. It's not a Miyazaki film. But if you've ever watched Grave of the Fireflies, that really shouldn't bother you. And if you haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies, then you really should.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I can't be the only one who thought of this, right?

I mean, I don't know. I think that style might become grating to me after a while, but this is their last project, so who knows?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
A japanese animated film where the reference point isn't big eyed anime designs, but instead traditional woodblock artistry? I can get behind that.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That remind me, I should preoder The Wind Rises now (holy smoke, it's out at the end of September for us Brit)!

OT- While it is visualing stunning but it leave little about the plot unless you have read the tales the film is based on. I was hoping there was some actual dialogue in the trailer.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
I know that this is actually the original story and the character I'm thinking of was inspired by said story... but I can't help but associate this Kaguya with Kaguya Houraisan from Touhou. :/

The animation looks gorgeous, though. Kind of expected coming from Ghibli, but it's nice seeing something this good.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Michael Tabbut said:
It's unfortunate to say I have to associate the name of this great movie with that of the supposed final villain from Naruto (fucking moon *****). Either way I will probably see this movie in theaters and enjoy it as best I can.
ThunderCavalier said:
I know that this is actually the original story and the character I'm thinking of was inspired by said story... but I can't help but associate this Kaguya with Kaguya Houraisan from Touhou. :/

The animation looks gorgeous, though. Kind of expected coming from Ghibli, but it's nice seeing something this good.
Strange that you guys associate it with those, and I associate the name Kaguya

Kaguya, the ultimate Aeon Persona from Persona 4 Golden, is achieved when you max Marie's Social Link.

It is also interesting to note that the official text description for Kaguya as a Persona also tells the tale of how many men proposed to her, but they failed her impossible tasks and she returned to her home: the capital of the moon.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
I know it's kind of the point that it looks like a moving storybook, but I really don't like that painted sketch style. It just looks unfinished, and more like a storyboard animatic than a completed film.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I could totally get into this. It's very unique, and frankly we need people like takahata to push boundaries within the industry. He's always been a little bit of an experimental film maker, one whose easily overshadowed by the long shadow that is Miyazaki.

Mad as a Hatter

Sep 23, 2014
For any one who say that this is naruto or spin off of it. Go read a book and do some research, because this movie has nothing to do with it. It's old Japanese folktale about bamboo harvester and how he found a bamboo princess out from bamboo, he brings her home and she grows into a baby and he and his wife decides to rise her. When she becomes to age when she can marry 3 (or five i don't remember) princes ask her hand but none get a fitting present for her one day emperor of Japan asks her hand but she escapes.