The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
George R.R. Martin brought things to the table that we couldn't have done by ourselves, in terms of that rich storytelling and that sense of character and drama.
They are going to have to prove that shit in game. Because they've already done plenty of rich storytelling in all their games. And Sekiro had a sense of character so it's all stuff that they've done before I don't know why they needed George for that.

But hey maybe it'll be a crazy RPG. Though I doubt it. They showcased no form of character in the trailer. No main character, no villian, just dark souls-like lore and voiceless protagonist. If they are trying to say how much this is different from Souls games then they should show that. Because to me, it looks like Souls but you have a flying horse.

Even the description of the zones that Miyazaki listed on the Famitsu article read out exactly the same as every other souls game. Castles, forrests, and swamps oh my!

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They are going to have to prove that shit in game. Because they've already done plenty of rich storytelling in all their games. And Sekiro had a sense of character so it's all stuff that they've done before I don't know why they needed George for that.

But hey maybe it'll be a crazy RPG. Though I doubt it. They showcased no form of character in the trailer. No main character, no villian, just dark souls-like lore and voiceless protagonist. If they are trying to say how much this is different from Souls games then they should show that. Because to me, it looks like Souls but you have a flying horse.

Even the description of the zones that Miyazaki listed on the Famitsu article read out exactly the same as every other souls game. Castles, forrests, and swamps oh my!
So Castlevania.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013

I do agree it all appears a bit samey and I definitely hope that after this game that they move on from the dark fantasy/Souls type formula. Personally I rather would have seen something more rooted not in fantasy but a more realistic medieval setting with a slower pace and more overt horror overtones. The DeS remake have really shown how much potential such a theme still has. I also think something from a Tsutomu Nihei manga like Blame! or Biomega as a reference point(instead of the eternal Berserk) would have been an incredible fit for Fromsoftware. But instead ofcourse we get ''the Tainted are in search of the shattered Elden Ring'' which at this point is like From's equivalent of ''it was a dark and stormy night''. I also wonder how almost 10 year old hardware is holding back their ''most ambitiuous tiitle to date''.

But ofcourse any complaints will fall by the wayside when what they deliver is this good. I mean, I'm still regularly playing Dark Souls 3 because I love that game so much.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I do agree it all appears a bit samey and I definitely hope that after this game that they move on from the dark fantasy/Souls type formula. Personally I rather would have seen something more rooted not in fantasy but a more realistic medieval setting with a slower pace and more overt horror overtones. The DeS remake have really shown how much potential such a theme still has. I also think something from a Tsutomu Nihei manga like Blame! or Biomega as a reference point(instead of the eternal Berserk) would have been an incredible fit for Fromsoftware. But instead ofcourse we get ''the Tainted are in search of the shattered Elden Ring'' which at this point is like From's equivalent of ''it was a dark and stormy night''. I also wonder how almost 10 year old hardware is holding back their ''most ambitiuous tiitle to date''.

But ofcourse any complaints will fall by the wayside when what they deliver is this good. I mean, I'm still regularly playing Dark Souls 3 because I love that game so much.

It's doubtful we'll see a shift in themes and setting until Miyazaki passes the torch to a younger visionary. I recall him stating the main difference with Elden Ring being its open world, while also adding more depth and variety to the RPG elements they weren't previously able to do with Dark Souls. So the plan was likely never to stray too far from those origins. The core theme of “the will, or ambition of mankind”, is even similar to Dark Souls. GRRM was likely brought on to handle the major lore and mythos beats due to the game's larger scale and to allow Miyazaki more time to focus on other details. And well, of course he's probably a huge fan.

Dark fantasy is unequivocally his thing probably stemming from his love of D&D, and it so far has served his warped imagination well. Bloodborne shifted gears slightly but really was just for the jump forward in time a bit. He has worked on other genres like Armored Core, but it's doubtful it was truly by choice. I'm still holding out hope for an eventual Bloodborne sequel though, seeing as how he's admitted it's still the game he keeps in his heart but that a sequel isn't up to him.

FFS Sony, what's the hold up?!

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
It's doubtful we'll see a shift in themes and setting until Miyazaki passes the torch to a younger visionary. I recall him stating the main difference with Elden Ring being its open world, while also adding more depth and variety to the RPG elements they weren't previously able to do with Dark Souls. So the plan was likely never to stray too far from those origins. The core theme of “the will, or ambition of mankind”, is even similar to Dark Souls. GRRM was likely brought on to handle the major lore and mythos beats due to the game's larger scale and to allow Miyazaki more time to focus on other details. And well, of course he's probably a huge fan.

Dark fantasy is unequivocally his thing probably stemming from his love of D&D, and it so far has served his warped imagination well. Bloodborne shifted gears slightly but really was just for the jump forward in time a bit. He has worked on other genres like Armored Core, but it's doubtful it was truly by choice. I'm still holding out hope for an eventual Bloodborne sequel though, seeing as how he's admitted it's still the game he keeps in his heart but that a sequel isn't up to him.

FFS Sony, what's the hold up?!
Yeah, Miyazaki is really a fan of fiction including probably the more literary source material where a lot of his inspiration seems to come from like Gormenghast and original Lovecraft works. A lot of the aesthetic seems to come from classic Fighting Fantasy and D&D artwork and ofcourse Berserk. It's really an amalgamation of various influences that give their games such a unique flair and visual identity. Still though, no matter how good at one point you start repeating variations on the same thing and then it might not be a bad idea to look for other sources of inspiration. I mean, it's not like their games are all the same. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro; they all have a unique aesthetic and worldview. It's more that their most popular franchise, Dark Souls, starts to overlap to the degree that Elden Ring feels self-referential.

I mentioned Nihei's mangas b/c they aren't traditionally sci-fi but exists somewhere between fantasy, sci-fi and surrealist elements that give them a very wide interpretation. I wonder if people at From Software like the manga b/c a game inspired by it would, imo, really play into the studios creative strengths.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah, Miyazaki is really a fan of fiction including probably the more literary source material where a lot of his inspiration seems to come from like Gormenghast and original Lovecraft works. A lot of the aesthetic seems to come from classic Fighting Fantasy and D&D artwork and ofcourse Berserk. It's really an amalgamation of various influences that give their games such a unique flair and visual identity. Still though, no matter how good at one point you start repeating variations on the same thing and then it might not be a bad idea to look for other sources of inspiration. I mean, it's not like their games are all the same. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro; they all have a unique aesthetic and worldview. It's more that their most popular franchise, Dark Souls, starts to overlap to the degree that Elden Ring feels self-referential.

I mentioned Nihei's mangas b/c they aren't traditionally sci-fi but exists somewhere between fantasy, sci-fi and surrealist elements that give them a very wide interpretation. I wonder if people at From Software like the manga b/c a game inspired by it would, imo, really play into the studios creative strengths.

We’ll ultimately have to wait and see how similar or different the two IPs end up being. Even if they wind up nearly mirror images thematically, the game design changes sound intriguing enough to really live up to their claims of being “a culmination” of everything they’ve learned so far.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
We’ll ultimately have to wait and see how similar or different the two IPs end up being. Even if they wind up nearly mirror images thematically, the game design changes sound intriguing enough to really live up to their claims of being “a culmination” of everything they’ve learned so far.
I mean if this is the best dark souls they've ever made then I'm down for that 100%. Wont hide the desire for something I bit different from the formula, but just because it's the same cheeseburger doesn't mean I wont eat it.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

BAH! They're making it easier! How dare they tarnish the sanctity that is SOULSBORNE difficulty! The plebs have won, Elden Ring confirmed worst game from Miyazaki.

The main story line will be easier, but the hurdcurr fans will almost certainly have the signature difficult peripheral content to suffer jolly through.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The main story line will be easier, but the hurdcurr fans will almost certainly have the signature difficult peripheral content to suffer through.
Actually what's funny is if you actually read the quote, Miyazaki is basically saying it's easier because it has the same features as previous souls games lmao. Try a different area if this one is too hard, you can summon help, there are combat options that make some approaches easier. Basically, if it is too hard use the games systems to help you dummy. Hehehehe.

Though by simply saying "Oh this one is easier", will effectively make it seem easier to people even if the game actually isn't any different from previous titles.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013

Baaahahahahahahaaaa. Was he supposed to say that?
I don't think it's meant to be interpreted as a 'literal' sequel. For him probably all these games are the same as he doesn't even play them. Martin has provided the background lore but by his own admission he hasn't been involved in any other development decisions about the game. He's a good writer though and From makes good games so it probably worked out really well.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I don't think it's meant to be interpreted as a 'literal' sequel. For him probably all these games are the same as he doesn't even play them. Martin has provided the background lore but by his own admission he hasn't been involved in any other development decisions about the game. He's a good writer though and From makes good games so it probably worked out really well.
Oh no doubt, I’m looking forward to seeing the fruits of this collaboration, and yes it does sound like he was speaking very generally. I’m just wondering if there will be a subsequent statement from a FROM rep clarifying Martin’s off the cuff remarks, as that news outlet literally took it as a face-value declaration lol.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Wow this game is so close, I kinda went from doubting this game existing to it being almost done I feel like, there was like a 2 year gap of no news and then suddenly all the news.

The game having a map sounds interesting, I guess the dungeons will be the more traditional souls-like bits and the open world would be more traditional. It fits with the game they're trying to make for sure. Also having varous ways to beat stuff gives you a lot of replayability.

I honestly wanna see more weapon types and more about the horse combat cause it still feels kinda weird.

Also wow over 100 weapon skills is nuts, exactly the thing I wanna see.

BAH! They're making it easier! How dare they tarnish the sanctity that is SOULSBORNE difficulty! The plebs have won, Elden Ring confirmed worst game from Miyazaki.
I mean, to me Sekiro was easier than Souls games too but some people found it harder so I wouldn't take their descriptions too seriously.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I mean, to me Sekiro was easier than Souls games too but some people found it harder so I wouldn't take their descriptions too seriously.
True it is a matter of player style and how a game clicks with you.

To me, Bloodborne was incredibly easy. I struggled a little at first and then everything clicked in my head and it was smooth sailing after the first boss. Even Orphan didn't take e too much time.

But Dark souls 1 still gives me a though time. Sekiro was ridiculously hard for me to the point where I just had to give up at Owl.

Different strokes for different folks.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
True it is a matter of player style and how a game clicks with you.

To me, Bloodborne was incredibly easy. I struggled a little at first and then everything clicked in my head and it was smooth sailing after the first boss. Even Orphan didn't take e too much time.

But Dark souls 1 still gives me a though time. Sekiro was ridiculously hard for me to the point where I just had to give up at Owl.

Different strokes for different folks.
So the thing I did was just play through the entire burning estate dream area right as soon as you unlock it, my thinking initially was that it was a flashback so he should be seeing it at that point chronologically, and then I just was too stubborn to run out lol. I hadn't even gone through the story scene about the dragon plague yet by the time I beat granny butterfly. So as you can imagine, being that low on tools and life and damage meant I had to actually learn how to use the mechanics properly to beat her. I think I had like...maybe 1 level up in health at most and minimal healing items when I fought her, like 2-3 at the most. Took me 2 hours but after that I kinda just...knew how to play. I hit a big difficulty spike when the castle got overrun by the badass owl ninja army but once I got used to fighting them too the game got actually easier from that point forward.

Owl just has your own thrust counter thing you do by dodging towards the enemy so you have to fight him a bit different, if your playstyle over-relied on thrusting hits (including the special unblockable thrust move which destroys a lot of regular tough enemies) he'll murderize you haaaard lol.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So the thing I did was just play through the entire burning estate dream area right as soon as you unlock it, my thinking initially was that it was a flashback so he should be seeing it at that point chronologically, and then I just was too stubborn to run out lol. I hadn't even gone through the story scene about the dragon plague yet by the time I beat granny butterfly. So as you can imagine, being that low on tools and life and damage meant I had to actually learn how to use the mechanics properly to beat her. I think I had like...maybe 1 level up in health at most and minimal healing items when I fought her, like 2-3 at the most. Took me 2 hours but after that I kinda just...knew how to play. I hit a big difficulty spike when the castle got overrun by the badass owl ninja army but once I got used to fighting them too the game got actually easier from that point forward.

Owl just has your own thrust counter thing you do by dodging towards the enemy so you have to fight him a bit different, if your playstyle over-relied on thrusting hits (including the special unblockable thrust move which destroys a lot of regular tough enemies) he'll murderize you haaaard lol.
Funny enough, Lady butterfly has shitty AI. And if you dodge to the side, hit her once, and repeat, you will beat her without her doing anything at all.