The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Im pretty sure the leveling system will be the same, and the talking waifu they showed will be our Fire Keeper/Doll. It is worth noting that they showcased all that gameplay footage with absolutely NO UI on. No button prompts to open chests, no HP bars, no stamina, no currency, no enemy health. So we don't know how any of the new combat systems will work.

Big hands guy will do lots of stomps, leaps, and big wide axe swings. Watching what little they showed, he looks like he will fight a lot like Ludwig from BB DLC.
I hope not on that last part. The only way that felt like a fair fight was to exploit his big bony ass by scuttling off to the far right corner of the upper landing area where he couldn’t maneuver well.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I hope not on that last part. The only way that felt like a fair fight was to exploit his big bony ass by scuttling off to the far right corner of the upper landing area where he couldn’t maneuver well.
Ludwig's strat is to dodge forward and to the left of him. I beat him without taking a single hit. The only move he has that's bullshit is when he jumps onto the ceiling.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Looks too much like Dark Souls. My dream once was for Miyazaki to take inspiration from the other Miyazaki's Nausicaa manga (as well as The Journey of Shuna) by making a fantasy science fiction game set in the far distant future. Elements of medieval times and ancient city ruins swallowed by sand and weird overgrowth/fungi. There were moments in the original Dark Souls that reminded me of the manga, like Ash Lake. But any setting but more medieval fantasy would have been appreciated.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Looks too much like Dark Souls. My dream once was for Miyazaki to take inspiration from the other Miyazaki's Nausicaa manga (as well as The Journey of Shuna) by making a fantasy science fiction game set in the far distant future. Elements of medieval times and ancient city ruins swallowed by sand and weird overgrowth/fungi.
I don't know how you landed on that, nor how you are "disappointed". The moment we saw early footage, screenshots, and word mouth, I already knew they going in hard on the Berserk/Tolkien aesthetic. Not the Nausicaa or Ghibli inspiration. I don't know what your expectations were, but I feel you were fantasizing too much on what it wanted to be and not what the game is becoming. Your idea does sound awesome, but I would not be invested in a Dark Souls style of game, even with a more other Miyazaki inspiration to it.

There were moments in the original Dark Souls that reminded me of the manga, like Ash Lake.
Demon Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne are all just straight up Berserk references with minor references from other properties thrown here and there.

But any setting but more medieval fantasy would have been appreciated.
I agree with you there, but you got plenty of other options:

• The Surge 2
  • Ni-Oh 1 & 2
  • Absolver
  • Sekiro - Though I can't blame you for not getting invested. Absurd difficulty and being obtuse with items just to get some hidden encounter or ending.
  • Bloodborne

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Looks too much like Dark Souls. My dream once was for Miyazaki to take inspiration from the other Miyazaki's Nausicaa manga (as well as The Journey of Shuna) by making a fantasy science fiction game set in the far distant future. Elements of medieval times and ancient city ruins swallowed by sand and weird overgrowth/fungi. There were moments in the original Dark Souls that reminded me of the manga, like Ash Lake. But any setting but more medieval fantasy would have been appreciated.
Ive seen a lot of people upset that this is basically dark souls 4. They gameplay and overall feel of the game looks much the same as weve seen already from the studio.

But i am open to the idea that this looks like it will be a conbination of dark souls and sekiro. Remember people were upset that sekiro didnt play enough like a souls game and was too hard even for some souls fans.

Elden Ring looks like they are trying to evolve the formula while at the same time keeping it feelings the same enough to make fans happy.

Only time will tell. Frankly i dunno what people expected from this team tbh.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I don't know how you landed on that, nor how you are "disappointed". The moment we saw early footage, screenshots, and word mouth, I already knew they going in hard on the Berserk/Tolkien aesthetic. Not the Nausicaa or Ghibli inspiration. I don't know what your expectations were, but I feel you were fantasizing too much on what it wanted to be and not what the game is becoming. Your idea does sound awesome, but I would not be invested in a Dark Souls style of game, even with a more other Miyazaki inspiration to it.

Demon Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne are all just straight up Berserk references with minor references from other properties thrown here and there.

I agree with you there, but you got plenty of other options:

• The Surge 2
  • Ni-Oh 1 & 2
  • Absolver
  • Sekiro - Though I can't blame you for not getting invested. Absurd difficulty and being obtuse with items just to get some hidden encounter or ending.
  • Bloodborne
No, this fantasy of mine was years before Elden Ring was announced, expressed in one of those "What should From do next?" threads. Never was hyped for this game to begin with. But I'll complain anyway, because the studio is wasting their creativity on old ground. Bloodborne and Sekiro were nice changes of scenery, but I didn't love their game design as much as the first Souls games. I never beat Sekiro's last boss. Found him annoying. A few years earlier, I would have tried harder. I'm not into Nioh. FromSoftware was it for these particular kinds of games for me.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
I liked the thought of Elden Ring with GRRM’s involvement, but the fact it continues the Dark Souls approach to it’s game design left me uninterested sadly.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
This game and Total War Warhammer III are coming out a week apart....

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
So apparently the new currency is Runes huh. Neat.

Also there seems to be sekiro style assassination prompts like in the bit where he stabbed the dragon in the eye, here's hoping they're just as varied.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Kinda what I figured about the con’s mentioned, but perhaps other areas will be more engaging with more interesting design, vs just acting as parts of a bigger PvP playground scattered with the typical “gamey open world” stuff to facilitate character builds.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Ive seen a lot of people upset that this is basically dark souls 4. They gameplay and overall feel of the game looks much the same as weve seen already from the studio.

But i am open to the idea that this looks like it will be a conbination of dark souls and sekiro. Remember people were upset that sekiro didnt play enough like a souls game and was too hard even for some souls fans.

Elden Ring looks like they are trying to evolve the formula while at the same time keeping it feelings the same enough to make fans happy.

Only time will tell. Frankly i dunno what people expected from this team tbh.
I'm curious what people were waiting for this and somehow didn't think it wasn't going to be another evolution of Dark Souls/Bloodborne. They've kind of made it clear that this is what they're good at and interested in and the fans have made it clear that's what they want.

The fact FROM spent like 2-3 years not talking about it and made a very general statement way back in the day that just said something about Open Field Gameplay should be enough for people not to expect a radical departure from what FROM does. Except now they've added some BOTW in there(which I'm totally down for).

We'll see in a couple months how well they pulled it off, for sure.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm curious what people were waiting for this and somehow didn't think it wasn't going to be another evolution of Dark Souls/Bloodborne. They've kind of made it clear that this is what they're good at and interested in and the fans have made it clear that's what they want.

The fact FROM spent like 2-3 years not talking about it and made a very general statement way back in the day that just said something about Open Field Gameplay should be enough for people not to expect a radical departure from what FROM does. Except now they've added some BOTW in there(which I'm totally down for).

We'll see in a couple months how well they pulled it off, for sure.
You know the saying: familiarity brings contempt.

Though I agree with you, I don't know why so many people are this surprised. I knew moment in looking at the teasers, the screenshot, the early trailers, it was just going to be Dark Souls with a more open world. We actually got plenty of those already. I already know the game is going to do great, but I'm only going to be invested with this company when they do something that's not anything Souls related.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Either way ive been down for more souls so im happy with what ive seen. I wonder how hard it will be and i wonder how many "easy mode" articles we can expect short after release.