The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
This looks like a more sekiro-ish dark souls with nordic themes, which is basically exactly my cup of tea, I especially am in love with all the various sword skills, when the guy made his greatsword into an energy sword 4 times the size I jumped lol.

Kinda what I figured about the con’s mentioned, but perhaps other areas will be more engaging with more interesting design, vs just acting as parts of a bigger PvP playground scattered with the typical “gamey open world” stuff to facilitate character builds.

The small dungeons like the one with the skeletons in the new trailer gave me odd skyrim vibes, but as long as they're hand-crafted I think they're fine for what this game is going for. There will still be the huge boss dungeons too for the more traditional souls feel.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Either way ive been down for more souls so im happy with what ive seen. I wonder how hard it will be and i wonder how many "easy mode" articles we can expect short after release.
Oh, I can't wait to read how FROM is "ruining" their new game if there's any concessions to being less difficult. Even if there are ways to make the game harder as well

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Oh, I can't wait to read how FROM is "ruining" their new game if there's any concessions to being less difficult. Even if there are ways to make the game harder as well
Not gonna lie the thing where you summon the spirits seems a little easymode, but I just won't use it like how I never summoned help in DS for boss fights either. Letting you do it anywhere is prolly a good middle ground between keeping the game hard but also allowing people who suck to get further in it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I did not expect Sphere Hunter to get a demo early.

From what I am hearing so far, this game is the equivalent of a "Best Of/Greatest Hits" with all of the advanced mechanics or refinements from each Souls game. I heard that dying does not cause you to hollow or reduce your health. That's a good start.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Also I just noticed the new esthus is literally a flask of tears. What's next, salt water?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Don't even get me started on the blind hardcore Ninja Gaiden/Itigaki fans who are that, but almost worst. At one time, they were the worst, but the loud and idiotic part of the Souls fan base drowned them out. The only time the NG fan base had legit complaint about "ruining" the series were vanilla Ninja Gaiden 3 and Yaiba.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Not gonna lie the thing where you summon the spirits seems a little easymode, but I just won't use it like how I never summoned help in DS for boss fights either. Letting you do it anywhere is prolly a good middle ground between keeping the game hard but also allowing people who suck to get further in it.
I suspect there's some kind of drawback for using the summons. Vaati mentioned they might draw enemy aggro or something.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Does he verbally have sex with From's game again?

Someone who played it said From understands open world games better than 95 percent of open world. I didn't watch more than like a minute of the guy's video, but that intrigued me. Made me think of Breath of the Wild, which I found much easier to get into than typical open world games. Still, I think this will be the first time I wait for a high discount on one of From's PC games.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Hate that they brought the dodge roll back, and not even the more compact, natural looking one from Dark Souls II.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
That's not enough for the hardcore fans. Everyone must be forced to play it the absolute hardest way, or some poseur might brag about beating the game without "earning" it.
I mean you could always cheese things with magic anyways, this is kinda why I like Sekiro the most, you are kinda forced to learn the game properly and if you do it's insanely rewarding.

This game seems to be more about crazy freedom and combinations. I wanna see more crazy weapon skills. That one move where they shoot slicing wind already has me hype.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Does he verbally have sex with From's game again?

Someone who played it said From understands open world games better than 95 percent of open world. I didn't watch more than like a minute of the guy's video, but that intrigued me. Made me think of Breath of the Wild, which I found much easier to get into than typical open world games. Still, I think this will be the first time I wait for a high discount on one of From's PC games.
Well he does have a pretty soothing voice lol. I’m not sure what he did before Souls, but it seems to be almost synonymous with his channel, and he does do a good job diving into the lore. I think he just loves the shit out of their games, as they seem to click with him. He did say once that Sekiro had the most satisfying gameplay of them all to-date, so we’ll see where ER falls after release.

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
This looks like a more sekiro-ish dark souls with nordic themes, which is basically exactly my cup of tea, I especially am in love with all the various sword skills, when the guy made his greatsword into an energy sword 4 times the size I jumped lol.

The small dungeons like the one with the skeletons in the new trailer gave me odd skyrim vibes, but as long as they're hand-crafted I think they're fine for what this game is going for. There will still be the huge boss dungeons too for the more traditional souls feel.
I’m cool with smaller stuff here and there but also hope there’s a few larger labyrinth levels with the signature Miyazaki design style that throws your brain for a loop, like the long ladder from the woods in Bloodborne leading back to the starting point in Yharnam. In an open world game it could get pretty crazy.

At the same time though, I didn’t have much of an issue with the chalice dungeons either, which were bloody procedural.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Sadly I don't think I got in the closed beta. Here's hoping they haven't finished sending out the codes. Shoulda signed in with even more different email accounts XD.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Sadly I don't think I got in the closed beta. Here's hoping they haven't finished sending out the codes. Shoulda signed in with even more different email accounts XD.
If you have gmail check the “promotions” folder, because that’s where they stuck mine. You have to scroll down a bit to see it in the side bar. Check whatever other folder has unread stuff for that matter, including spam if you don’t have a Bandai account.