The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Here's an idea for a boss that I hope will make it to the Game: A boss that adapts to your play style.

The boss has very standard stats at the beginning of the fight, with no particular weakness. But if you hit the boss with the single type of attack repeatedly, it gains resistance and starts attacking you with that type. So now you have to either keep using less effective startegy or switch out your equipment

I.E. Spam pyromancies on the boss, and it will gain fire resistance and attack with fire. So now you have to use another type of spells or hit it with a phyiscal attack. If the boss gets hit with physical attacks, it will gain armor and weapons matching them.

Of course, the fight should have no more than three phases because the player builds can't use every time of attack.

There can be a lore to back up why the boss can do this; A Forgotten low-born who longed for greatness, but he/she can only mimic the powers of others, but can never claim those powers as their own.

OR

A boss that gets stronger with how many runes (like souls from the previous games) the player has collected. The boss can taunt and guilt trip you for how much you have to consume in order to succeed, and whether all those deaths were necessary

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Here's an idea for a boss that I hope will make it to the Game: A boss that adapts to your play style.

The boss has very standard stats at the beginning of the fight, with no particular weakness. But if you hit the boss with the single type of attack repeatedly, it gains resistance and starts attacking you with that type. So now you have to either keep using less effective startegy or switch out your equipment

I.E. Spam pyromancies on the boss, and it will gain fire resistance and attack with fire. So now you have to use another type of spells or hit it with a phyiscal attack. If the boss gets hit with physical attacks, it will gain armor and weapons matching them.

Of course, the fight should have no more than three phases because the player builds can't use every time of attack.

There can be a lore to back up why the boss can do this; A Forgotten low-born who longed for greatness, but he/she can only mimic the powers of others, but can never claim those powers as their own.

OR

A boss that gets stronger with how many runes (like souls from the previous games) the player has collected. The boss can taunt and guilt trip you for how much you have to consume in order to succeed, and whether all those deaths were necessary
What about a boss that reads how youve fought throughout the game and depending on your playstyle is a completely different enemy entirely.

Played sword and board, you have a boss that counters that style.

Played with magics? The boss is something else.

And you place it far enough into the game that the player has gotten confortable with their prefered loadout, so that the boss will crush their dreams.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

OR

Didn't Arkham city do something like that with Mr. Freeze?

And it vaguly reminds me of the guard AI in MGSV(which I fucking loved, even if it can be reset), where they adapt to your tactics.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Didn't Arkham city do something like that with Mr. Freeze?
Yes.

And it vaguly reminds me of the guard AI in MGSV(which I fucking loved, even if it can be reset), where they adapt to your tactics.
As did the AI in MGS2, MGS3, and MGS4.

I remember a SHMUP freeware game I used to have where the AI adapted to your shooting tactics and movement. You only fought one boss in each stage, but the boss would get bigger as you go on and change tactics.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Some of my most favorite boss fights ever were those in Sekiro where you had to air parry lightning attacks and throw em back at them so something like that I think would be really fun. Maybe adapted for a norse mythology setting.

Like for example there's this giant who stomps around and causes slabs of rock to bounce up in the air, and you wannna smack those slabs at it, or use some sort of time slowing magic and leap with your horse from concrete slab to concrete slab as they are suspended in the air to get to the giant's head. Also a part where he starts catching them and throwing em at you and you have to slice em in half mid-flight.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
What about a boss that reads how youve fought throughout the game and depending on your playstyle is a completely different enemy entirely.

Played sword and board, you have a boss that counters that style.

Played with magics? The boss is something else.

And you place it far enough into the game that the player has gotten confortable with their prefered loadout, so that the boss will crush their dreams.
Yep, that’s where I got the idea from.

From my experience, in past souls games hybrid builds were pretty hard, as it was slower to level up and costing more souls. I think bosses like this could make hybrid pve builds a bit more viable.

Or someone could just max str stat and deal crap load of damage regardless, making the whole adapting defense part kinda meaningless

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yep, that’s where I got the idea from.

From my experience, in past souls games hybrid builds were pretty hard, as it was slower to level up and costing more souls. I think bosses like this could make hybrid pave builds a bit more viable.

Or someone could just max str stat and deal crap load of damage regardless, making the whole adapting defense part kinda meaningless
That is the trick isnt it. Because while the idea is neat on paper, the design is rooted on fucking the player over which is something you dont want to do.

Bosses that end up harder or easier depending on your playstyle are one thing, but it is another when the boss is designed from the get go to be an asshole to how youve chosen to play.

The combat should be about finding a setup that clicks with you and riding it through the game, not forcably making that method hurt the player at a certain point.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
That is the trick isnt it. Because while the idea is neat on paper, the design is rooted on fucking the player over which is something you dont want to do.

Bosses that end up harder or easier depending on your playstyle are one thing, but it is another when the boss is designed from the get go to be an asshole to how youve chosen to play.

The combat should be about finding a setup that clicks with you and riding it through the game, not forcably making that method hurt the player at a certain point.
Maybe make it an optional boss where the big reward is bragging right?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Maybe make it an optional boss where the big reward is bragging right?
Sure i guess. Dark Souls 3 sort of has that with Midir, that dragon just isnt worth doing imo. It is too big and too tanky that it is just too much hassle.

If they do an optional fight like that is cant be a slog. It can be hard but it should be hard because the boss has 1 billion health. Orphan of Kos is the right level of what a hard optional fight should be.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

“…not just big for the sake of being big.”

So basically not an Ubisoft game.

Even moving through the world of Elden Ring is different. In addition to the aforementioned Spirit Steed, which can double jump across ravines and launch a hundred feet in the air with the aid of mystical jump pads, players can … jump. Similar to how the Wolf of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice moved through his world, Elden Ring players will be able to leap and bound without fear of fall damage through the environment.

In one section of the game, known as Stormveil Castle, we watched a Tarnished approach the entrance gates, only to be greeted by a friendly character who told them that going through the front door was a bad idea. He offered a second safer route. But the player opted for the hard path, had the gates open for them, and was immediately welcomed — with a volley of arrows. Doubling back to pursue the easier, circuitous path, we were shown that it required a lot of jumping, sneaking, and battles with armed but underprepared guards. There was also a giant troll — had the player chosen the direct, more difficult path, it would have been a face-to-face fight. In this secret path, they took it down stealthily with a sleep arrow and let it lie.

FROM apparently is describing it as “a good old-fashioned RPG”.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
not just big for the sake of being big.”

So basically not an Ubisoft game.
Good on them for not sticking to the Ubisoft or GTA formula. Granted, we got plenty of those already, but it's all so nice to see another one that does its own thing or goes for the more old school approach. I'm probably still not getting the game but good on you From.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You know i almost feel bad for FromSoft. After Bloodborne and DS3 they have everyone waiting for this game and if it doesnt blow people away, they are gonna be pissed.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Hype is the soul killer. Hype is the little death that brings endless disappointment
I mean it is also what can crush a studio. The witcher 3 was an amazing game and people had crazy hopes for Cyberpunk, and we all saw how that went.

Honestly maybe being Bethesda is best, make shitty games that people love anyway somehow and then your fans will never be that disappointed.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You know i almost feel bad for FromSoft. After Bloodborne and DS3 they have everyone waiting for this game and if it doesnt blow people away, they are gonna be pissed.
Then those people expecting too much have no one to blame, but themselves for buying in to the hype too much. I get having expectations, but you gotta have limits or stop at some point. Otherwise, you'll be a spoiled twat and be "disappointed" about everything.

Hype is the soul killer. Hype is the little death that brings endless disappointment
Exactly.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I mean it is also what can crush a studio. The witcher 3 was an amazing game and people had crazy hopes for Cyberpunk, and we all saw how that went.
Hype isn't what ruined Cyberpunk, CD Projekt Red literally lying about the game to boost expectations and create hype is what ruined it.