The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I mean it is also what can crush a studio. The witcher 3 was an amazing game and people had crazy hopes for Cyberpunk, and we all saw how that went.

Honestly maybe being Bethesda is best, make shitty games that people love anyway somehow and then your fans will never be that disappointed.
FROMSOFT has a (from what we can so far presume at least) much sounder business structure than CDPR though to start with. Maybe one day they’ll have a dud for some reason like becoming too bloated or corporate of a studio, but there really haven’t been any warning signs yet regarding Elden Ring. Sure, they’ve kept really quiet until a few months ago but
A. That’s pretty much always been their M.O.
B. This game is their biggest yet
C. COVID
D. Cross gen development
E. The game looks awesome, if somewhat dated by the aging engine
F. They’ve explained as much as they need to about it, which falls in line with past releases
G. They’re putting the finishing touches on it now

Recall just 2.5 years ago when people were shitting bricks with Sekiro too, but it was another hit under their belt. I get what you’re saying as they’re kinda competing with themselves at this point, but I think it won’t be so much a question of how good the game will be as how fans personally align with the latest design shift from past games.

Last edited:

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I'm really looking forward to Elden Ring but first they announced the game to obviously build hype followed by more than a year of complete radio silence and then we get one(!) gameplay trailer with the game being unceremoniously released only a few months from now. The game itself seems very derivative from Dark Souls in terms of visual style, the musical score, the story premise, the animation quality; pretty much anything. From Software has probably the best concept/visual artists in the entire industry and I absolutely adore the look of their games but it's still strange we haven't really seen anything that sets Elden Ring apart from Dark Souls like the open world/field, the horse and the Sekiro inspirations. Videogame 'journalists' have apparently seen the game in action so why not the confidence to put it on youtube? They were doing a lot more to promote Bloodborne, DkS 3 or even Sekiro.

Also I think Elden Ring is somewhat ill timed. Last year would have been perfect but now even the gameplay trailer looks really last gen compared to the graphics of Demon's Souls remake. Yeah it's bombastic and grandiose but put the music off and it looks like a sequel to DkS3. At this point I'd rather they delay the game an entire year or even longer and give it a full next-gen make over to make it look as stunning as Bloodborne when it first released. Hopefully a year from now supply of new consoles would also be able to meet demand so that there would be less necessity for developers/publishers to prioritize almost decade old hardware.

Business circumstances probably won't allow such a delay so it will be released as part of more or less their previous gen lineage. Chances are there will be an updated version of Elden Ring somewhere down the line. I do hope the success of From Software and the trust they earned from big publishers and the expectations of the public at large haven't made the groundbreaking studio perhaps a bit too conservative in their approach.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I'm really looking forward to Elden Ring but first they announced the game to obviously build hype followed by more than a year of complete radio silence and then we get one(!) gameplay trailer with the game being unceremoniously released only a few months from now. The game itself seems very derivative from Dark Souls in terms of visual style, the musical score, the story premise, the animation quality; pretty much anything. From Software has probably the best concept/visual artists in the entire industry and I absolutely adore the look of their games but it's still strange we haven't really seen anything that sets Elden Ring apart from Dark Souls like the open world/field, the horse and the Sekiro inspirations. Videogame 'journalists' have apparently seen the game in action so why not the confidence to put it on youtube? They were doing a lot more to promote Bloodborne, DkS 3 or even Sekiro.

Also I think Elden Ring is somewhat ill timed. Last year would have been perfect but now even the gameplay trailer looks really last gen compared to the graphics of Demon's Souls remake. Yeah it's bombastic and grandiose but put the music off and it looks like a sequel to DkS3. At this point I'd rather they delay the game an entire year or even longer and give it a full next-gen make over to make it look as stunning as Bloodborne when it first released. Hopefully a year from now supply of new consoles would also be able to meet demand so that there would be less necessity for developers/publishers to prioritize almost decade old hardware.

Business circumstances probably won't allow such a delay so it will be released as part of more or less their previous gen lineage. Chances are there will be an updated version of Elden Ring somewhere down the line. I do hope the success of From Software and the trust they earned from big publishers and the expectations of the public at large haven't made the groundbreaking studio perhaps a bit too conservative in their approach.
Maybe that’s part of the reason is the aged engine next to a lot of what we’re starting to see. They might figure well, why spoil any more than they need to when we already have a good idea of what it will look like. It would be like, “Look at our last gen looking game, but the art style! Look at how big it also is!!” I’m kinda glad they’re not exposing it much since I’m too much of a sucker for it and the thrill of discovering their most ambitious game world would be muted. Seeing new level design in a YouTube video also generally doesn’t really translate well to actually playing through them.

Having said that, there have been more details but I’m guessing the NDA’s are tight until they start the inevitable prerelease marketing hype in a month or so.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Wow they brought the jump button back from Sekiro.

Their best innovation being there, I wonder if they brought back swimming too. I wanna fight me some jormungandr underwater.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Looks like the game has been delayed by a little over a month.

But it does appear that there will be some kind of beta test
(Not sure why the link displays Guilty Gear)

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Looks like the game has been delayed by a little over a month.

But it does appear that there will be some kind of beta test
(Not sure why the link displays Guilty Gear)
Closed Network Test you say? *googles* here’s some more info on that

*Note those times are PST

I’m A-ok with the delay, if it makes for a higher quality game.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Closed Network Test you say? *googles* here’s some more info on that

*Note those times are PST

I’m A-ok with the delay, if it makes for a higher quality game.
I'm okay with this. I might have time to finally get back into and finish Salt and Sanctuary before it comes out.

I've said it before though, with all the shit getting pushed to early next year, I can imagine some Accountants are getting really worried about all the competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'm okay with this. I might have time to finally get back into and finish Salt and Sanctuary before it comes out.

I've said it before though, with all the shit getting pushed to early next year, I can imagine some Accountants are getting really worried about all the competition.
But can you beat the sequel Salt and Sacrifice?

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
But can you beat the sequel Salt and Sacrifice?
When does that come out again?

I mean, probably not, but I honestly don't even know if it's coming out before Eldin Ring.

I also have to finish Blasphemous before I get back into Salty Sanctuary and then Eldin Ring....*Goes Hollow from too many Soulslikes and only wants to play UBISOFT GAME FOREVER*

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
When does that come out again?

I mean, probably not, but I honestly don't even know if it's coming out before Eldin Ring.

I also have to finish Blasphemous before I get back into Salty Sanctuary and then Eldin Ring....*Goes Hollow from too many Soulslikes and only wants to play UBISOFT GAME FOREVER*
I can't find a release date now that I'm trying to find it. But a lot of press got preview versions of the game a couple days ago, so it's gotta be close I would think.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I can't find a release date now that I'm trying to find it. But a lot of press got preview versions of the game a couple days ago, so it's gotta be close I would think.
Q1 2022. But only on Epic, so I have a year unless I want to play it on switch.

OTOH, I also want to play Tails of Iron and I'm waiting for that to come to GOG.com

Last edited:

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Yup, that's a dark souls all right! With a Zelda-esque overworld. But the animations, the environments, the hud, the music, the characters, the voice acting, the attacks and magic are basically still dark souls, except now with a sneak and a jump that (hopefully) isn't a byzantine riddle to input on the controller. Also one character sounded exactly like Sean Harris.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Thank fuck for a map.

Also I notice the lack of UI during gameplay probably because they don't want to showcase the damages dealt (likely the preview player is in godmode anyway)
It’s definitely Souls version 5.120482659 etc. and I’m glad it exists, but ffs I do hope that barring a Bloodborne sequel, FROM puts this entire genre into a deep cryo-sleep after this one. Because it like, you know, is long past starting to look all too familiar.