The Thread where I air my grievances with the Assassins' Creed series SPOILERS EVERYWHERE

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
It always strikes me as weird that some of the French citizens in Unity had British accents. You think a company based in France wouldn’t have a problem hiring French actors to voice French npcs.
I sort of remember at some point when Unity came out and that criticism was coming in, someone at Ubisoft said they didn't want to do French accented English because they were afraid it would sound cartoonish, like Pepe Lepew.
On the one hand, Ubi's explanation for such things doesn't have a good track record (e.g., gender representation). But I gotta say whether they were being honest or not, I see it.

"Of course I am French, why do you think I have this outRAGeous accent?!"- Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Reactions: Hawki

thestor

Dec 19, 2007
A French accent doesn't have to be cartoonishly silly. Maybe it's just me, but I am partial to the Spy in Team Fortress 2.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I sort of remember at some point when Unity came out and that criticism was coming in, someone at Ubisoft said they didn't want to do French accented English because they were afraid it would sound cartoonish, like Pepe Lepew.
On the one hand, Ubi's explanation for such things doesn't have a good track record (e.g., gender representation). But I gotta say whether they were being honest or not, I see it.

"Of course I am French, why do you think I have this outRAGeous accent?!"- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
I think the official line is that they wanted to convey class and English is easier to do that then French or some such. Except they pretty much failed at that too, especially for Napolean who was pretty much looked down upon because he was Coriscan and not "French", but speaks like everyone else.

Otoh he sure showed those people when he conquered half of Europe and pushed the Holy Roman Empire into it's grave.

Last edited: