The Time I Was a Social Outcast

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Arakasi said:
manic_depressive13 said:
Ed Smith said:
...effortlessly gliding from one vagina to another.
Is that really an appropriate way to describe having one night stands? Because here I was under the impression that reducing a woman to her body parts was called objectification. I found that line extremely disgusting.
All people are are body parts. Besides, that line fits in with the tone of the review, and the first person perspective. That's all you'd hear, the forever alone college student, snippets of stories about how someone 'banged a chick last night' so the resonable assumption is that this chick has a vagina, and that's where the assumptions end.

Anyhow, as for the review, really clever way of taking that game. One of the most interesting reviews I've read for a game actually, even though it was realistically less to do with the game and more to do with how it made you as a social outcast.
It's not actually a review. :) But I'm glad you enjoyed it, just the same.

Frylock72

Dec 7, 2009
It might just be me, but it feels like the game cheats a lot. I've had entire games where every card the other person played beat mine, hands-down. Even trump cards. It's really frustrating because skill doesn't enter into it; you just can't win when every card you have sucks and every card they have wins.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
This reminds me of the time I tried Love Plus on Nintendo DS

>_>

and I lost the game.

I LOST THE GAME WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?!

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
FargoDog said:
manic_depressive13 said:
Ed Smith said:
Is that really an appropriate way to describe having one night stands? Because here I was under the impression that reducing a woman to her body parts was called objectification. I found that line extremely disgusting.
I have to agree with this. In fact, the whole article has something of a problematic tone, and I could never tell whether there was a sexist tone on purpose as to prove a point or just being out and out sexist. Regardless of that, the 'vagina' line really is awful and it's where the article completely lost me. The entire tone of the article is one that seems to regulate women to things to fuck and describing a woman in the most base, disgusting terms only made it worse.
Really? This line about vaginas simply struck me as how young idiot men view their one night stands and gloat about them to their friends. Yes it is disgusting view, but it in no way to me came off as HIS view. Just a straight out observation of how the men he went to college with behaved, and calling it out for the shallow and thoughtless behavior that it was.

I think the line did the exact opposite of how you took it, which was at face value, without actually reading at all between the lines.

A little thought about a piece can go a long way, but maybe i read too much into it?

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
Dating is really as simple as a card game, if not more. Don't fear rejection, don't put women on a pedestal, they are just people.

DreadfulSorry

Feb 3, 2009
FargoDog said:
manic_depressive13 said:
Ed Smith said:
I have to agree with this. In fact, the whole article has something of a problematic tone, and I could never tell whether there was a sexist tone on purpose as to prove a point or just being out and out sexist. Regardless of that, the 'vagina' line really is awful and it's where the article completely lost me. The entire tone of the article is one that seems to regulate women to things to fuck and describing a woman in the most base, disgusting terms only made it worse.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt like this. I mean, I appreciate that it didn't really go into Nice Guy territory, but the way he talked about women still made me uncomfortable.

thatsthespirit

Nov 18, 2009
Hi. I'm the person who wrote this article. In regards to the vagina line, all I can say is that it's meant to be a slightly more colourful way of saying 'one-night stand.' It's a vulgar bit of poetry that reflects my grumpiness, anger towards men and women at the time and generally slouched, defeated attitude to sex. If I was going to intellectualise it any more than that, I'd say that around the period in my life I'm writing about in this article, I'd become so pent up and womanless that, much to my regret nowadays, I struggled to look at women as anything more than anatomical sex objects. It's very much the reason that I was single for such a long time, since I found myself in a dark place where I was unable to form proper relationships with women.

All that said, I'm not going to neuter the way I write. I imagine the majority of readers can get what's meant by language like this and I'm never going to talk down to them.

Cranky

Mar 12, 2012
Proverbial Jon said:
Yep, I can pretty much relate to this whole article. Only difference is that I have really never cared about being a loser. It makes it so much easier when you can just let go.

I much prefer games that make me actually feel something. The Walking Dead was the last game that really affected me. I was emotionally exhausted after every episode but damn I kept coming back for more!
I totally agree with you on both parts, man. Accepting things means esier living with peace of mind, and TWD's game is really underrated. It's a real gem of emotion...the TV show can't even compare.

QtheMuse

May 23, 2010
Obviously just like life you didn't read the instructions that come with the game. Once you get the hang of it the card game is pretty easy.

Badum TSS