The tragic hero of Portal (spoilers)

Belgian_Waffles

Jan 24, 2010
Tragic Hero:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TragicHero
Originally used by The Ancient Greek Empire, by definition The Tragic Hero must start off better than everyone else, have a problem they must solve mostly to help others, must fall due to a fatal (and tragic) character flaw, and most of all they must realize the error of there ways caused by their flaw.
Portal 2 has one of these and most of you are probably thinking of Cave Johnson or Glados. You're wrong however.
It's Wheatley.

Now now, I didn't surprise you did I? You first meet Wheatley almost as soon as the game starts he's overlooking all of the test subjects that are in stasis, he is automatically higher up than anyone in Aperture labs at that time. Even Glados is lower than Wheatley on the account of being "dead." Cave Johnson also could fit into this category, however he is actually dead, GLaDOS soon takes over being higher up she has no intention of helping you when she does though. (this changes later, of course.)
Wheatley immediately decides to help you, why? Most likely because he instantly takes a shine to you, despite the fact that he believes you are brain-damaged. He also has no intention of benefiting from helping you until he realizes that detaching from the ceiling won't kill him solidifying his benevolence. Cave Johnson only wants to help people so he can profit from it, GLaDOS only wants to team up when she becomes trapped in a potato.
Wheatley also suffers from the necessary character flaw, he's a moron. This leads to his downfall of failing to predict that controlling GLaDOS's body will corrupt just as it did to her.
GLaDOS suffers from no character flaw other than neglecting her conscious which she continues to do even when she get's a hold of herself. Cave Johnson continues to be a psychopath to the day of his deathbed ignoring the fact that his own idiocy and ambition brought him to where he was.
Lastly, Wheatley discovers and regrets his flaw, he's too far gone to make a difference about it. GLaDOS realizes her flaw but choses to ignore it anyway. Johnson continues to be an ass in all regards.
I applaud Valve for resurrecting such a great yet underused character archtype and then applying it to a character personality that went completely unexpected. I finished Portal 2 yesterday and didn't come to this conclusion until a couple of hours ago.

ITT: Wheatley is an awesome character

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I love Wheatley, probably even more than GLaDOS. He's so damn hilarious.

Squidden

Nov 7, 2010
Yeah, I wish I could see more of him. If I had the choice between Atlas and P-Body or Wheatley, I would probably choose Wheatley...

Heathrow

Jul 2, 2009
A tragic hero doesn't need to start off in a good position. They can, in fact, follow a natural hero's quest to a point of power and then lose it due to their fatal flaw. This more accurately describes Wheatly's arc.

Wheatly is also not a traditional hero. His motivations are clearly described as a selfish wish to escape, and it is even pointed out that Chell is not the first person he has tried to escape with. Because he lacks a traditional heroic trait of selflessness he would technically be a tragic antihero.

Another interesting note is that the fatal flaw which leads to Wheatly's undoing is exacerbated by an external force. GLaDOS's rig seems to act as a corrupting influence and a possible metaphor for power making Portal 2 a fable with the moral: "absolute power corrupts absolutely".

iDoom46

Dec 31, 2010
You just blew my mind. Damn, you really thought this through.

I've been on an emotional roller coaster when it comes to Wheatley. My opinion of him bounced back and forth from liking to intolerance just as he bounced from nice but charmingly stupid, to evil (still stupid) ass, and back again.

But now I think I can safely say that I really do like him as a character. Frankly, it's hard to not find him likable after reading that. Of course, this just makes his final monologue even more depressing than it already was.

Man, the Portal 2 ending is a real downer isn't it?

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
I really was pissed when he betrays you (though honestly I should have seen it coming), but I absolutely love Wheatley as a character. I would say that analysis of him is pretty accurate.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
I really wanted to save him at the end. Sure he tried to kill you, but he was really bad at it.

Soupy George

Ejerkashun Prufshnal
Jan 8, 2010
Given the quality of writing through this game, I wouldn't be surprised if your interpretation is right on the money.

Belgian_Waffles said:
Wheatley also suffers from the necessary character flaw, he's a moron. This leads to his downfall of failing to predict that controlling GLaDOS's body will corrupt just as it did to her.
I did wonder for a while whether Wheatley was supposed to have been 'evil all along' given that in his closing speech he
gloats about five previous test subjects dying while trying to retrieve the portal gun.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Just finished the single player. Wow such a good and funny ending didn't think they could top portal's story but valve went ahead and did. Gotta love poor old Wheatly.

We're in space!

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I do feel sorry for him, but he deserved that "time out" after all the shit he put Chell through, seriously.

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
When the game first started out. I didn't really care for him. He was really annoying to me. Well...I still don't really like him.

However, I think my favorite character in any game I played was that corrupt core that kept talking about space. What a hilarious thing that was.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
I do feel sorry for him, but he deserved that "time out" after all the shit he put Chell through, seriously.
Not to mention nearly blowing Aperture Science into a very radioactive next week. Which no doubt would've affected the lives of many people to boot.

But I forgive him in the end, he quite literally didn't know what he was doing.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
If anything I think I loved GLaDOS even more by the end of Portal 2. Great ending too.