The ultimate weapon in the innevitable war against sentient machines?

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Since everyone's said EMP of some sort, I will have to pick plan B and say a computer virus the likes of which only the pentagon could ever be able to block. Still working on delivery method.

sagacious

May 7, 2009
why all the hate for sentient machines? Sentient machines are people too... basically.

Mr.Gompers

Dec 27, 2009
This reminds me of this movie I saw once that talked about the robot uprising that led to the matrix. In it, the humans tried nuking the robot city, but apparently this didn't work because the robots were unaffected by the heat and radiation. The movie failed to explain why the EMP didn't screw over every robot within the blast radius. Anyways, moving back on topic, an EMP would be the ultimate weapon because it affects everything that uses a computer chip. You know how magnets can erase the hard drive on your computer? Well, imagine that, but on a massive scale.
In July 1962, a 1.44 megaton (6.0 PJ) United States nuclear test in space, 400 kilometres (250 mi) above the mid-Pacific Ocean, called the Starfish Prime test, demonstrated to nuclear scientists that the magnitude and effects of a high altitude nuclear explosion were much larger than had been previously calculated. Starfish Prime also made those effects known to the public by causing electrical damage in Hawaii, about 1,445 kilometres (898 mi) away from the detonation point, knocking out about 300 streetlights, setting off numerous burglar alarms and damaging a telephone company microwave link. courtesy of wikipedia
And to answer a previous poster, we do in fact have the technology to create EMP effects without the use of nuclear arms. The only problem that I see with using an EMP to put down a robot uprising is that it is possible to protect electronics from the EMP. Still, what the EMP doesn't knockout a direct or near direct nuclear strike would vaporize.

Also, Op, a clone army to fight off an army of robots? That would most likely lead to either a clone uprising instead, a clone and robot uprising together, or the clones and robots working together to destroy the overlord.(Which is us humans)

Nosforontu

Jan 7, 2010
There are over 6 billion people already on the planet even if we allow for increases in cloning technology to allow for vastly accelerated growth rates, and also develop a technology to allow for some semblance of knowledge into the clones it ignores logistics issues on a massive scale. The bigger issue for an army is not in having enough bodies but in making sure that you can equip/train/supply and control what forces you have continuously.

In other words it does you no real good to clone a billion new infantry soldiers if you do not have a billion rifles for them as well hundreds of billions of rounds for those rifle, several billion pounds of food for those soldiers each day, the transportation infrastructure to move all those supplies to your forces and can effectively retain control of a force of a billion infantry.

Mr.Gompers

Dec 27, 2009
Nosforontu said:
There are over 6 billion people already on the planet even if we allow for increases in cloning technology to allow for vastly accelerated growth rates, and also develop a technology to allow for some semblance of knowledge into the clones it ignores logistics issues on a massive scale. The bigger issue for an army is not in having enough bodies but in making sure that you can equip/train/supply and control what forces you have continuously.

In other words it does you no real good to clone a billion new infantry soldiers if you do not have a billion rifles for them as well hundreds of billions of rounds for those rifle, several billion pounds of food for those soldiers each day, the transportation infrastructure to move all those supplies to your forces and can effectively retain control of a force of a billion infantry.
All very valid points, I wasn't even thinking of logistics.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009

Imma gunna go with this. If I have to fight an army that threatens the world, I want something that I can rip my enemy apart ( I would need Space Marine power armor too)

int boom

Aug 17, 2009
The ultimate weapon against sentient beings in general, let alone sentient machines, is the Youtube Poop. Constant production of these weapons of mass mental destruction can annihilate any logic based system through its fundamental lack of reason.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
Three letters:

E
M
P

Seriously detonating a nuke in the atmosphere creates a huge EMP burst that would disable any and all electronic devices in a large area. And covers it in radiation. But that's beside the point.

Anything that could disable electronics. A tazer would be fine.

KissofKetchup

May 26, 2008
There is one hole to the EMP weapon choice. Correct me if I'm wrong but if you encase all of the electrical components in lead or something, doesn't that shield it?

In the case the robots are protected, I'd chose thermite. Just put some on an RPG or something and let it melt through the EMP protection, and then to the electronics.