The unoffical Beer thread

Fruhstuck

Jul 29, 2008
I drink Cider mostly
But with beer i like Rosey Nosey' it's only a christmas special though =(

Is it something about being English that makes you love Cider?

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
InsanityBaronOfAtrocity said:
Bud. Seriously, What's wrong with Bud?
Where to start? It tastes like piss, don't ask me how I know. It's often flat, etc, etc...I'm just giving you some schtick, I was weened on Miller Lite!!!

I'm a big beer lover, and I think some of my favorites are all imports. Sol, Dos Equis, Pacifico, Guinness, Bass, Stella Artois, Tsingtao, Sapporro, Boddingtons, and the list goes on.

For Micro-Brews, I love Rogue Brewing, Arrogant Bastard, New Glarus, and I could name a hundred more, but to save you all time and sanity, I wont.

ingsoc

Feb 12, 2008
As a friend once said referring to Bud, "If I wanted to drink to near frozen goat piss, I will get it from the source and chill it myself."

But in all seriousness, one great beer often over looked is Pilsner Urquell. It is the first light lager ever made. Another smaller, lesser known beverage is Three Philosophers Ale. It is quite tasty and will knock your socks off. Not sure what the percentage is but it has to be upwards of ten. Then there is the all time classic, Newcastle. The GOAT of beers which is also known as mothers milk in the UK.

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
No one's mentioned it, but being Nova Scotian, I gotta go with Alexander Keith's. Brewed right in the city for almost 200 years, they still use the same recipe, and it's still better than most of the beers out there. And the man is so revered here, the city all but shuts down every October 5th to celebrate his birthday. And how do we celebrate his birthday? The whole city gets drunk, of course. You gotta love a beer that's able to get a whole city drunk!

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
OurGloriousLeader said:
I love beer! Nice beer. Chimay Grand Reserve, a tasty Trappist ale from Belgium, is ace, although all Chimay varieties are tasty. I'm currently enjoying a Zywiec, a nice polish lager. Paulaner or Erdinger are tasty german Weissbiers. Lia Fail is my favourite Scottish ale methinks. For a refreshing lager, try Kasteel Cru, made with Champagne Yeast and all the flavours thereof. I recently discovered Asahi, a dry and tasty Japanese lager. I used to really love Hoegaarden but have gone off it recently.

But the winner, and I'm not sure how widespread this beer is as it may be quite a regional one, is Innus and Gunn. It's matured for 3 months or so in Whisky casks and tastes like Toffee mixed with sex. Mm, yes.

I like beer, it is tasty.
I got a sampler pack a while ago of "exotic" beers, and Chimay and Zywiec were both in it and I liked them. Innis and Guinn was in it too, but it was far too sweet with far too sour an aftertaste for me. It also had Okocim (Polish) and Zelta (Latvian) which were both excellent.

I've had and enjoyed Hoegaarden, Stella Artois, Guinness (a near-staple, that), Xinga (Brazilian dark ale, great with barbeque), Sapporo (Japanese, a bit bland for me though), Tsingtao (Chinese), Becks, Rickard's Red, Linenkeugel Red (US)... and then the local Canadian beers, Sleeman's (a staple) and Amsterdam Natural Blonde (a brew-pub-ish thing).

My boss just got back from Jamaica, so I guess I should give Red Stripe a try.

Mmmm... beeeeeer...

-- Steve

edited to add: I forgot to mention that a cold Corona with lime is great on a hot day... I've heard Dos Equis recommended and should give that a try soon too.

evil_gn0me

May 5, 2008
For an everyday beer i actually rather like Stella Artois.
However I never drink much at home so I don't get try out as many different lager's or ales as I should like, saying that I do love bishops finger.
The wychwood brewery make some nice beers as well such as the hobgoblin and the dogs bollocks (which i have only been able to find once)
As for cider used to drink a lot of strongbow but have recently changed my pleasure to magners or bulmers, as well as Kopparberg they do a rather nice sweet pear cider and a mixed fruit one

ZombieFace

Dec 16, 2008
Mostly any kind of ale. I mean Bud is my all time favorite but give me a nice lager to sit around with im pretty good. blue moon and pabst blue ribbon i also love.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Pfeh at your American beers!

I drink two of the best Australian beers in existence - Coopers Lager and Pure Blond.

At my local Belgian bierhaus, Oostender, I usually drink Leffe Blond or Leffe Brun.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Banana Bread Beer. It's good stuff. But generally I don't like beer. I like Guinness though.

CIA

Sep 11, 2008
gamebrain89 said:
Vek said:
Being a poor college student, the higest quality beer I drink is Red Stripe or Heinneken when I can afford it. I also like Carlsberg Elephant. ANd that's about as expensive as I can get right now.
I thought the offical beer of poor college students was Pabst Blue Ribbon? :p I have yet to develop a taste for beer, but when I do I doubt Coors or Budwiser will be my first choice.
Natty lite around here. It's like piss in a can.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Molsen Canadian is my choice though i can drink Rickard's or Keiths as well but i usually just drink hard stuff like captain's rum

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
OurGloriousLeader said:
I want such a sampler pack!
The LCBO* is great for that; they have these empty 8-bottle carriers and shelves of individual bottles, and you can just pick the mix you want. (You have to pay by the bottle though; if you're just picking up 6 of the same you're probably better off buying a 6-pack.)

I'll also open the doors and ask if anyone has any recommendations given which beers I've posted above and liked. I'm always willing to expand my beer horizons. (And, sadly, my beer gut.)

-- Steve

* Liquor Control Board of Ontario, basically a government-owned store chain with a monopoly on hard liquor sales in our province. They also carry a lot of imported and independant beers, some domestic beers, and (I believe) the widest selection of wines in the province.

santaandy

Sep 26, 2008
German beer is the best in the world! Most European beers are also really good, my of-late favorite is Baltika.

Magnetic2

Mar 18, 2008
Dommyboy said:
Couldn't this be the unofficial (check your spelling) alcohol thread? Then I could actually contribute.
Hm? I am known for misspellings, have been for about fifteen years or so. Don't know how much that would change.

As for alcohol in general, I don't drink the hard stuff, I find it tasteless without being mixed with something. As well, I love the taste of all different kinds of beer. I try a new one about once every week or so.

Magnetic2

Mar 18, 2008
My sister use to get Nate Ice for a dollor a forty upstate NY. I mean, it IS piss in a bottle, but it gets the job done.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
i consider myself a bit of a beer head. i homebrew, i go to microbrew conventions, blah blah blah.

op, One thing you have to consider about the brands you diss-- the buds, the millers, and the coors, is they have one thing many other brands don't:

consistency.
The budweiser I go out and drink today tastes exactly the same as the budweiser I drank 12 years ago.

Now it may not have much body, but you are not impressing many people by lifting your beer gut onto the table and proclaiming with a deep voice that you drink "ONLY MAN STOUT"

I will agree, however, that american brewing is truly coming of age, american microbrewers routinely win competitions in europe, and might have the worlds biggest homebrew population (citation needed). One must consider that we let the puritans in us destroy the alcohol industry with prohibition, empowering organized crime and deadening the taste buds of generations of americans.

But europeans, americans, and australians should not pan the american generic lager\pilsner. Spaten, molson, hienie, and Fosters totally suck just as much ass as bud, miller, and coors ever did.

naftali1

Oct 10, 2008
I pretty much love anything made in Fort Collins...lots of good breweries. My favorite is Skinny Dip by New Belgium (the guys that make Fat Tire). Fort Collins Brewery also makes a Chocolate Stout...it tastes like a pretty generic wheat beer with the after taste of chocolate...delicious :)