The Unofficial Escapist Happy Gaming Thoughts Thread!

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
hermes200 said:
Danbo Jambo said:
hermes200 said:
I have been replaying Saints Rows 4.
Great game. As errant signal puts it, it is "a love letter to everything that is kitsch". Not cynically or sarcastically, not so-bad-is-good, but an honest to god love letter to everything that is tacky and lowbrow, yet oddly endearing.
SR4 just knocked my socks off. After the disapointment and general overall "choreiness", not to mention downright not fun gameplay, of GTA 4 & 5 SR4 grabbed me by the nuts and ran as far and as fast as it could with me. Never finished it because of bugs, but I didn't care - the 20 odd hours I had playing it were just a total and utter blast. A classic.
I know, right?

I don't want to turn this into a "bash GTA" thread, which goes against the idea of the OP, but I can't say enough about the earnestness of Saints Rows over other open world games.

I mean, they made a Christmas special DLC, and they owned it. There was nothing of cynical commentaries about America's consumerism or trivialization of a holy day that one would expect from other writers; instead they make a Grinch reference and snow angels, with a smile on their faces.

I have to say that as much fun as I've had with SR4 I very much prefer SR3. I think its because that with the powers the entire game becomes somewhat trivial.

Thinking of buying the fault milestone one visual novel on steam whilst its reduced. Its got pretty good reviews.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
CaitSeith said:
Silentpony said:
I've been replaying Mass Effect 3! And I'm so happy the multi-player is still so popular. I've never had to wait more than a minute to find a match.
Also damned if Tali isn't as cute and lovable now as she was three years ago.

Good times that game...good times...
What a coincidence. I'm playing ME3 for the first time. I wanted to give my opinion about all the ME3 ending debacle, but I didn't have played any of the ME games. So I bought all the 3 games, and I recently finished ME2. The happy thought is that, no matter how bad I find the ending, I still have much to play and enjoy in the two first ones (and probably the ME3 multiplayer).
Me too... Only in my case I altered the save so I had enough War Assets, because I couldn't be bothered to play Multiplayer... Also installed the happy ending mod, no matter how much I like the idea of the heroic sacrifice at the end (I admit it's the most fitting end), after all this shit Shepard deserves some rest with Tali, damnit.

My multiplayer issue came from the fact I find the shooting in Mass Effect 3 not all that great, in comparision I feel it was much better done in ME2. I finished ME2 for the second time before starting ME3 and sometimes I caught in awe in how much it looked nice shooting stuff.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Finally beat all the Future Past DLC flawlessly in Fire Emblem Awakening (everyone survived and had their special convos with their parents) I also took out the last one in 2 turns, because there ain't no brakes on the death train when Manakete Morgan has the reins. I also have mastered the Rogues and Redeemers 3 map and have farmed it for Limit Breaker, hope my team gives others a hard time on streetpass.

I am also stoked for the upcoming release of Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker, some glorious SMT goodness is always something to look forward to, I am also gonna replay FFIX again, because its that time again.

Also attending a friends wedding in FFXIV, lets hope I don't miss it, should be good fun. Should also buy a wedding band myself to marry [user]The_White_Hunter[/user] and gain a Lala husband!

[sub][sub]Better than a filthy cat person husband, that's for sure, right [user]Drummodino[/user]![/sub][/sub]
Husbando awaits beneath a savage sun.

OT: Killing turn 9 will literally make me explode into fucking rainbows.

Inglorious891

Dec 17, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
Inglorious891 said:
With the larger buildings I was actually more thinking about how Sim City 4 had, for example, elementary schools and large elementary schools so you wouldn't have to make a bunch of small schools and could just have a couple large ones. I'd just rather not have a school per block in my city. Mods or patches will add more buildings, I'm sure.
I hear ya. Do try and keep in mind that education is not always desirably in Skylines, though. I started out educating everyone vigorously, but it just creates an unfulfillable demand for high-education jobs. You want farmers and coal miners, you need some uneducated ghettos.
Yeah, I'm finding that out quickly in my city right now. I spent a whole lot of money on oil rigs that no one wants to work in because everyone's too busy working in offices. It might be time for some budget cuts...

Bizzaro Stormy

Oct 19, 2011
RawSteelUT said:
So let's get happy!

First, I just got through another run of Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires. Fun little game, series doesn't nearly get the respect it deserves.
I haven't gotten to DW 8 yet let alone Empires, but DW 7 is still making me smile. I'm continuing my quest to make bestest friends with everyone and craft all the weapons to smack them across the screen with. Just finished the Black Dragon Halberd. I haven't tried it out yet, but I will!

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Besides replaying Rayman Legends which is always a joy...

I've recently been playing Five Nights at Freddy's 1 and 3 (I've not interest in 2). Besides generally enjoying both of them, they gave a beautiful realisation.

I'm like an anti-Hipster Hipster. The only indie games I play are the most popular, and that includes indies I've played BEFORE FNaF 1 and 3 like LIMBO or Amnesia: The Dark Descent, to name a few. ;-)

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
hermes200 said:
I know, right?

I don't want to turn this into a "bash GTA" thread, which goes against the idea of the OP, but I can't say enough about the earnestness of Saints Rows over other open world games.

I mean, they made a Christmas special DLC, and they owned it. There was nothing of cynical commentaries about America's consumerism or trivialization of a holy day that one would expect from other writers; instead they make a Grinch reference and snow angels, with a smile on their faces.
Aye. Probably my fave sandbox game ever (the Saboteur comes close for atmosphere & setting, and SR2 was great too). A true example of a company who actually cares about the gamer having fun.

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
Dragon Ball Xenoverse is the first game I bought at launch (well, near launch) at full price in a LONG time, and I don't regret it at all.

My inner 12-year-old has been shitting himself with joy this past week. It's so much fun building characters and teaming up with people to do missions (well, when they work...). If you're a DBZ nerd, I can't recommend it highly enough.

My only complaints:
-"Android" should have been a race option
-You should be able to recolor all costume pieces
-Turles should have been playable. I love me some Tree of Might.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I've finally found some games to play on my new Vita. I was beginning to think that I had made a regrettable purchase, but I'm having tons of fun playing Muramasa: Rebirth and of course, the system seller, Persona 4: Golden. I'm sure more good selections will come up as I continue to browse game recommendations on various sites.

RawSteelUT

Mar 8, 2015
New source of happiness.

Did a couple of extremely awesome LPs on my Youtube channel, might just be the best ones I've done yet!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqfLW6gRoQdD3Z9XxfYZVR-bTqaqhAa-m - Mega Man II
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqfLW6gRoQdCKJB6IuqzWn09MtZQVpjW- - Mega Man IV

Arean

Windwalker of Shaundakul
Apr 24, 2008
My current happy pills have been going through my collection of older RPG's while waiting for my payday, so I can pick up Pillars of Eternity.

KOTOR 1 and 2 recently finished, currently working my way through NWN2 OC for the 15th time. It's equal parts joy and depression, considering the rather unfortunate turns western RPG's have taken in recent years.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Well despite it'a frustrating properties, i've been playing the shit out of bloodborne and I just love it.

Also, later today Shadow Tower comes to PSN, i've been meaning to try one of the ancestors to the Souls games, should be fun, and I can play it on my Vita, so big plus to it being portable(i've grown to prefer having a portable version of a game, as I like being able to take it with me wherever I go).

and one last thing, I might be upgrading my PC soon, so I can actually play recent games on my rig.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
My happiness is all coming from Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn at the moment. My healing skills are improving! I'm making a name for myself in my server now. Can solo heal Garuda extreme, Leviathan extreme and Titan extreme now. Can handle big pulls and am working my way to making my own static. Getting my relic finished so I'm all ready for the expansion! So if any of you are on Cerberus, give me a shout!

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Sims 4 was quite fun despite all of the stuff they put away to improve. It ran better than sims 3 and remind me that bloated game content can ruin a game. Get to work was very good for a sims expansion

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I just got a beta key to World of Warships through a stream with Sidestrafe. I never thought I'd win the random lottery of getting a key in a random roll on a twitch chat but here I am, past 2AM playing World of Warships and loving it.

This April 1st was the best in living memory for me.