The Upcoming Titanfall 2 Tech Test Won't Be Available on PC

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The Upcoming Titanfall 2 Tech Test Won't Be Available on PC

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1343/1343164.jpgAlthough there is a Titanfall 2 tech test coming soon, it's not coming to your PC.

If you're hoping to get a chance to try out the Titanfall 2 multiplayer tech test on your PC, we've got some bad news for you. Respawn announced today that the test won't be available on PC.

In a blog post on the game's official site [http://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/tech-test-note/], Respawn CEO Vince Zampella announced the news, saying that there are "Two big issues," causing the company to skip the PC: "hardware variety & 'min spec' optimization." Zampella went on to say,

"We're still making a lot of tweaks and changes to the renderer, the game, and effects so we haven't run the game through the hardware compatibility lab yet to detect and handle a large variety of hardware - video cards, CPUs etc. Quite frankly, we aren't ready to deal with that yet, we are still making the game better. We also haven't done enough work to fully support our 'Min Spec' on PC yet. So, currently the PC game isn't as easy to throw out for testing as the console is, because of the additional variables and configurations that we need to support"

While those reasons would have been enough, he also said that there is a secondary consideration: secrecy. Zampella says that the developer is worried that PC players might dig up more info than Respawn wants them to have. He said, "Because the single player story has some wonderful secrets that we really want to preserve for launch, we also have to worry about leaks. Our wonderfully curious PC players have proven in the past that they will dig out anything they can, and there's a risk that they could spoil some of our single player."

Zampella said that the studio isn't worried about the state of the PC version. "Rest assured we're confident in our ability to deliver a great PC experience for launch. We appreciate your understanding, and we look forward to seeing everyone on The Frontier this October."

This will certainly be a disappointment to PC fans who wanted to see how the upcoming shooter would run on their machines, and it's also a cautionary note for the PC version itself. As the tech test isn't coming to PCs, we have to hope that the fixes that are gleaned for consoles will carry over to the PC version.

Titanfall 2 is set to launch on PC, PS4, and Xbox One on October 28.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Let me see if I understand this:
-a tech test program is being released so you can see how well the game will run on your machine.
-this tech test is only being released for the as-yet-unmoddable PS4 and Xbox MCC, meaning the only difference between any two of these consoles will be remaining hard drive space and internet connection speed.

What the hell is the point, then?

TwoSidesOneCoin

Dec 11, 2010
What I'm getting out of it is that the console will set the standard as to what you can expect. A console to pc port if you will.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
So it will be a shitty console port for PC players then, can't wait to hear all about that in the future...

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Meh, I've reading here that it's not optimized worth a shit yet and they'd rather not get the bad press for its poor performance when that hasn't been looked at yet. I mean, in a way I admire his honesty. If it runs well on launch I don't really care if there's a beta for PC. I can see what I need to see on Youtube to make a semi-informed decision about whether or not I want to buy it.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
But when is this elusive tech unleashed upon us peasantry, Ron...when? I see the official release date as fairly soon, so it must be before then, right? And by "tech test," do they really just mean your average "beta test" "demo?"

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
No test no purchase, I am far too worried about launch day performances, and especially with titles that are too scared to let the consumers have a glance to make up their own minds.
EA's Battlefront was terrible, but at least we got to try it out and realise it wasn't for some of us, I will decide if I am interested in Battlefield 1 when I get to mess with the beta, and if Respawn thinks some shabby and oft used clich?d excuses will convince me...

... I bought Titanfall 1 on hearsay, I rest my case.

Xyebane

Disembodied Floating Skull
Feb 28, 2009
Seems like a pretty big red flag to PC gamers to me. This kind of test is much more useful to PCs with varying hardware specs than to consoles anyways, and if they aren't doing this for PC than it is obviously not a market they are interested in, and will probably be a buggy mess with poor optimization.

AXimilao_Elotus

Aug 13, 2016
This game had sparked my interest for a spell...until I read this article.

Seriously, what really is the point to a tech "test" for consoles? As stated by others, this is the kind of thing for PC consumers to try before they buy, or at least get their feet wet to see if they want to fully dive in to the game. I'm not even concerned about its specs (I use a high end machine so there's not really anything I can't play cranked all the way up) but that's not really the point. It's just really annoying how PC players get the short straw literally every time.

It's not going to affect me all that much if it does tank on PC because of poor optimization since I have PS4 as well, but I really don't want to buy a game on console simply because it's unplayable on PC (*cough* *cough* Batman). I just find that a little embarrassing on the developer's part.

I tip my hat to him simply because of his honesty, though.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
AXimilao_Elodus said:
This game had sparked my interest for a spell...until I read this article.

Seriously, what really is the point to a tech "test" for consoles? As stated by others, this is the kind of thing for PC consumers to try before they buy, or at least get their feet wet to see if they want to fully dive in to the game. I'm not even concerned about its specs (I use a high end machine so there's not really anything I can't play cranked all the way up) but that's not really the point. It's just really annoying how PC players get the short straw literally every time.

It's not going to affect me all that much if it does tank on PC because of poor optimization since I have PS4 as well, but I really don't want to buy a game on console simply because it's unplayable on PC (*cough* *cough* Batman). I just find that a little embarrassing on the developer's part.

I tip my hat to him simply because of his honesty, though.
Agreeed. But like you say, at least we got honesty and not some half baked random bullcrap like EA/WB like to spin

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
ffronw said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
But when is this elusive tech unleashed upon us peasantry, Ron...when? I see the official release date as fairly soon, so it must be before then, right? And by "tech test," do they really just mean your average "beta test" "demo?"
They announced that answer today. It will be this weekend and next weekend. More info: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...ultiplayer-Technical-Test-Begins-This-Weekend
Oohla! Much sooner than than anticipated, all hypothetical dates are now cancelled. Thanks for the update! :)

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
I don't get where people are getting the "unoptimized" rumors from.
The game aims at 60fps on console, and runs on the Source engine, which should run buttery smooth on most gaming PCs.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
NLS said:
I don't get where people are getting the "unoptimized" rumors from.
The game aims at 60fps on console, and runs on the Source engine, which should run buttery smooth on most gaming PCs.
Game is designed on consoles first with only tech tests done for consoles. Of course its going to be unoptimized shitshow. This is the definition of bad console port.

And no the source engine only runs the netcode.