The Uselesness of Flamethrowers

PossiblyInsane

Apr 14, 2009
What exactly is the point of flamethrowers? A machine gun will kill ordinary people much faster for less weight, and its not much good against zombies because the avereage human body will burn for at least an hour.

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
They're great for roasting Japanese, Vietnamese and Korean soldiers out of tunnels and foxholes. Great for bunkers and around corners.

And sometimes you just want to make a statement. And there's nothing like burning something to the ground.

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
PossiblyInsane said:
What exactly is the point of flamethrowers? A machine gun will kill ordinary people much faster for less weight, and its not much good against zombies because the avereage human body will burn for at least an hour.
Flamethrowers were designed as a way to stop tanks, and clear fortifications without having to use explosives. A flamethrower had a 75 yard range, further than you could throw a grenade into a pillbox, fox hole, tunnel, etc.

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
Flame throwers are used on enemy bunkers and enclosed spaces so soldiers didn't risk their lives trying to kill enemys who were camping.

Aceptdtctv

Apr 14, 2009
flamethrowers throw flame, which curls around cover and reduces oxygen levels. they were generally used when clearing bunkers as what the flames didn't get the low oxygen levels and toxic smoke generally did.

also they are cool

Robert632

May 11, 2009
I think part of it was fear tactics. Think about it. There are already bullets flying everywhere and artillery going off, but now some guy is running about lighting people on fire.That just scares the shit out of me.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
crimsonshrouds said:
Flame throwers are used on enemy bunkers and enclosed spaces so soldiers didn't risk their lives trying to kill enemys who were camping.
Bravo old bean.

You stick it in the door way and ignite a whole room.
People tend to see your way of thinking when they're engulfed in flames and vacate the premises immediately.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
I've always had a funny mental picture of a flame thrower going array in a strong wind.

Back-burn

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
You can clear out things like bunkers, pillboxes or trenches pretty damn quick with a flamethrower. Plus it is one gruesome way to kill.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
because at some point somebody said to themselves "i wish those guys over there were on fire" thus came the flamethrower

L4hlborg

Jul 11, 2009
Flamethrowers have a few features that make them useful. First of all, they can set stuff on fire. Bunch of idiots messing around in the forrest? Set the forrest on fire. A bunch of idiots in a wooden cottage? Set the cottage on fire. A bunch of dudes in a treehouse? Set the tree on fire.

Also, flamethrowers are good in tight spaces, since you can't really dodge fire in a tight space.

Skeleton Jelly

Nov 1, 2009
Robert632 said:
I think part of it was fear tactics. Think about it. There are already bullets flying everywhere and artillery going off, but now some guy is running about lighting people on fire.That just scares the shit out of me.
Exactly. Apart from all the other ideas mentioned, scare tactics could be a main one.

Some flame throwers even throw flaming tar at you. So not only are the flames burning away at your body, but there's a layer of intensely heated liquid all over you. Your eyes will literally explode from your sockets, and your scalp will burn off from your head as you simultaneously suffocate from the loss of oxygen.

And imagine hearing that on the battle-field. Hearing your fellow soldiers cry out as they suffer probably one of the most painful deaths imaginable.

This is why I never use any fire oriented weapons in video games. I fear I would cause the NPCs too much pain.

:3

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I am tempted to post George Carlins bit about flamthrowers but i'm not going to because I don't think it would contribute anything to the conversation. Or would it?

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
Skeleton Jelly said:
Robert632 said:
Exactly. Apart from all the other ideas mentioned, scare tactics could be a main one.

Some flame throwers even throw flaming tar at you. So not only are the flames burning away at your body, but there's a layer of intensely heated liquid all over you. Your eyes will literally explode from your sockets, and your scalp will burn off from your head as you simultaneously suffocate from the loss of oxygen.

And imagine hearing that on the battle-field. Hearing your fellow soldiers cry out as they suffer probably one of the most painful deaths imaginable.

This is why I never use any fire oriented weapons in video games. I fear I would cause the NPCs too much pain.
...Unless you're playing TF2, in which you don't use flamethrowers because it'll cause you too much pain.

But basically this post, including my odd feelings of morality over with NPCs, which really gets in the way of gameplay sometimes.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
A flame thrower is a situational device used to clear out trenchs without the need to storm in and possibly getting shot. They were surprisingly effective in that regard, but almost useless in any other method of application.