The Uselesness of Flamethrowers

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Flamethrowers and various flavors of uses, like shot guns, they are designed for close quarters, and can be very effective if the area is very flamable.

OneOfTheMichael's

Jul 26, 2010
Hmmm well maybe they might not be very affective against zombies... IF THEY WERE REAL
But back in WW2 their very helpful in clearing motar pitts a trenches from enemies in really devastasing destruction

deathlord552

Sep 24, 2009
They are used to burn down wooded areas that guerrillas use to hide. Notice the heavy use in Vietnam? Also they are good for burning alien bio-mass in Alien Swarm, but that might be unrelated.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Real flamethrowers ain't your traditional short-range low-ammo knockoffs you see in so many games.

They're long-range and that shit keeps burning.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Its easy to clear/kill a room of enemies with them too. I mean, think about it. when you;re on fire and you run into someone, you get that person on fire. plus fire jumps a nd catches other materials, and with the crowd logic of "run like shit when shit goes down," you'll get alot of people.

pigmypython

Jan 15, 2010
Primarily they were used to clear bunkers but their real value historically was terror. People are afraid of fire in a way they are not with bullets which they can't actually see.

evlbaMbee

Jul 20, 2010
Dunno but I found the one in RE5 to be so ineffectually shite that I used an RPG to one-shot that boss instead.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
One word: Intimidation. Yes they are effective for clearing foxholes and ect. but so are grenade launchers. But flamethrowers are extremely intimidating, I mean, imagine a 50 yard line of fire sweeping across your comrades, closer and closer, leaving them sreaming, thrashing piles of flesh on the ground. I'd prolly be so scared i couldnt even breathe, much less fight back.

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
bleachigo10 said:
I am tempted to post George Carlins bit about flamthrowers but i'm not going to because I don't think it would contribute anything to the conversation. Or would it?
If you won't do it, then I will!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
You try staying in a bunker with your machine gun while someone is using a flamethrower to burn out all the oxygen you need to breath. That's what the US army/marines did during the war in the pacific.

It ain't useless buddy, it's only extremely situational.

May 5, 2010
grimsprice said:
They're great for roasting Japanese, Vietnamese and Korean soldiers out of tunnels and foxholes. Great for bunkers and around corners.

And sometimes you just want to make a statement. And there's nothing like burning something to the ground.
There ya go. Learn your history!

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
I don't think that trench and bunker warfare is done that much anymore, but they're very effective at clearing both of those things. Remember that scene in Saving Private Ryan where they fire the flamethrower into that bunker and it just roasts everyone? That's a fairly realistic interpretation of the effects of a flamethrower. They're also good in close quarters urban combat if you don't care about preserving buildings, and they're fantastic terror weapons.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
PossiblyInsane said:
What exactly is the point of flamethrowers? A machine gun will kill ordinary people much faster for less weight, and its not much good against zombies because the avereage human body will burn for at least an hour.
It's a terrifying and highly effective weapon. The trade offs were worth it. The only reason they're not banned is because they're probably the most sadistic weapon in existence. Also, you can't cause a flamethrower to explode just by shooting the tank. The fire produced comes from a mixture of two chemicals that are rather innate by their self.

Now, considering zombies, if a zombie is made by a virus infection like in Resident Evil, then flamethrowers are the absolute best weapons. The heat would cook the viruses while a bullet would probably just spill the virus.

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
I'm going to ask Wikipedia...

Wikipedia said:
The flamethrower is a potent weapon with great psychological impact upon unprepared soldiers, inflicting a particularly horrific death. This has led to some calls for the weapon to be banned.
Banned? I though weapon bans were exclusive to games...

It is primarily used against battlefield fortifications, bunkers, and other protected emplacements. A flamethrower projects a stream of flammable liquid, rather than flame, which allows bouncing the stream off walls and ceilings to project the fire into blind and unseen spaces, such as inside bunkers or pillboxes.
Blind areas and fortifications. Sounds ideal.

Typically, popular visual media depict the flamethrower as short-ranged and only effective for a few meters (due to the common use of propane gas as the fuel in flamethrowers in movies, for the safety of the actors). Contemporary flamethrowers can incinerate a target some 50?80 meters (165?270 feet) from the gunner; moreover, an unignited stream of flammable liquid can be fired and afterwards ignited, possibly by a lamp or other flame inside the bunker.
50-80 meters? The flamethrower in TF2 barely gets 8 meters! DAMMIT VALVE!

Hades74

Mar 28, 2009
one word: corridors

you just cannot miss when the 40 feet ahead of you is completely filled with fire

okay thanks to the guy above me its logical to assume that you can set inferno to not just a corridor but a whole floor of a building