The Vaccine

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Seeing as how I just got Covid-19, and don't want to get it again: yes I will.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
If the scientific consensus is there then sure. I'm tired of this stupid plague messing things up.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yes.

Also, I imagine that in 20-30 years people will be off this anti-vax rubbish (and onto something equally stupid), and anti-vaxxers will look like people claiming pinball machines would destroy society.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
I'm exceptionally skeptical and distrustful of the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, especially for the horrifically curtailed time frame for tech that basically has no longitudinal data on its long-term safety, but rather a handful of small clinicals here and there. Obviously nobody's getting Cronenberg'ed out of it and I doubt there'll be a massive Cutter labs style fuckup, but if ten years from now it comes out there's a strongly associated long-term increased risk of butthole cancer or something that was overlooked due to the fast tracking and/or covered up to get it to market, it'll be one for my personal "told ya so" book. I'll be waiting for attenuated virus vaccination, or at least the adenovirus carrier vaccine because it's proven tech, if I get a damn choice in the matter.

Pfizer in particular can fuck itself sideways.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
You probably don't understand the material science and engineering principles behind modern bridges, are you still gonna drive over them, or wring your hands and cry over it?

Gib me dat medicine.
Had a pretty similar conversation with my primary care doc
"I don't understand science or medicine because that's not what I went to school for. So just shoot me up with those chemical juices, I'm sure you know what you're doing!"

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Had a pretty similar conversation with my primary care doc
"I don't understand science or medicine because that's not what I went to school for. So just shoot me up with those chemical juices, I'm sure you know what you're doing!"
You'd think so, but I've had a dentist recommend I get a root canal when all I needed was a filling adjustment to solve a tooth sensitivity.

Gotta be discerning in who you let pump those chemical juices into you.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I’ll take if it’s available, but as I’m low risk and don’t have regular contact with high risk people. And if I croak due to complications that’s maybe six people upset tops.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'll take it because I assume it'll be a requirement for international travel, which is something I greatly enjoy.

I'm not in one of the high risk groups, so I'll just get it whenever it's eventually available to the general population. I'm assuming if there are any immediate side effects like widespread allergic reactions they'll likely be discovered in the first couple of groups that get the vaccine long before it's my turn.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Are they still putting tracking devices in these vaccines? I want someone to know where I am when I get lost.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Have had far more potentially concerning and highly unknown concoctions added to this bloodstream over the years, so one more for other people's benefit instead can't be argued with honestly. There was even a red rock of some mysterious crystal at one point, no idea what it was, and neither did the owner of it, other than it was meant to be consumed. Who knows what alien parasites control this squishy bear brain now...

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Depends. I will get it, but not all vaccines are created equal. We went with Pandemrix here during Swine Flu and look how that turned out. Ireland has a tendency to just grant contracts to companies based on whose cousin is on the board of directors. Between Pandemrix and the Cervical Screening scandal I'll maybe trust the HSE when Tony Holohan is hanging from a tree. If I have to travel to get one I will though. I work in hospitality and have worked through the entire pandemic, I've seen my mother twice this year, missed the births of two nephews and my older brother's 40th birthday, as well as having my own 30th away from my family because I didn't want to put my them at risk.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Not immediately. I'm not a person who's at risk and so I'd like to take advantage of that fact to wait and see what kind of side effects the vaccine has before deciding to take it. I also assume there won't be a gigantic supply at first anyway so the more at risk people should get it first.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You'd think so, but I've had a dentist recommend I get a root canal when all I needed was a filling adjustment to solve a tooth sensitivity.
Lemme guess: the root canal's a good deal more expensive and there's a profit-motivated healthcare system in place?

Reactions: Seanchaidh