The Very Last of Us

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Another good joke would be

Ellie's transition from baggage into ninja death dealer in the "winter" portion of the game
Watched my roommate play through most of that section.
The way Ellie attacks people makes me think of a murderous backpack.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Now now, Ellen Page has feelings.
Because as we all know, polygons is emotions, and Ellen Page has lots of polygons!

Now, so Ellie had an unbreakable ninja knife of doom the whole time. Question: Why the fuck hasn't Joel looted a Walmart or something and gotten a decent knife? Those stores have a fuckton of them. Maybe he's just an idiot. I don't know.

Dec 14, 2008
Imp Emissary said:
Yeah, that's why I had more fun playing Ellie than Joel.

The game actually makes you feel a bit more powerful when you play the 14 year old girl vs. the grown man. xD
But what can I say, Ellie is awesome.

:D Invincible Murder Knife!
I found Ellie to be much more fragile since my playstyle was: sneak, get found, isolate the enemy, close the distance then bash their face in to conserve ammo/look badass. With Ellie open melee combat was impossible without being grabbed as you try and cut them with that little dinky knife. I'd really just prefer Joel's fists to that letter opener, especially since her knife takedowns were anything but stealthy.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
Yeah it's really odd that Joel hasn't gotten a hold of a real knife in the 20 or so years after the collapse.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
philosophicalbastard said:
Imp Emissary said:

The game actually makes you feel a bit more powerful when you play the 14 year old girl vs. the grown man. xD

I found Ellie to be much more fragile since my playstyle was: sneak, get found, isolate the enemy, close the distance then bash their face in to conserve ammo/look badass. With Ellie open melee combat was impossible without being grabbed as you try and cut them with that little dinky knife. I'd really just prefer Joel's fists to that letter opener, especially since her knife takedowns were anything but stealthy.
A difference in experiences I guess.

I pretty much found that Ellie played about the same as Joel in a fire fight, and I was able to kill with the knife without getting noticed that much.

Though yeah, she isn't as good with close combat as Joel, :D but she can shank all the clickers she wants!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
philosophicalbastard said:
Imp Emissary said:

Just grab a bottle/brick, throw to unbalance enemy, and immediately knive them in the face for an instant kill. Works wonders.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Panel four. Check out dat bulbous fungally infected clicker butt.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
This comic portrays my exact thoughts when I got to...

the Winter chapter. When I got to play as Ellie and realised she had a bonafide knife the whole time I literally shouted at the screen: "Why didn't Joel get one of those!" It's clearly the biggest ethical dilema in the whole game.

Damn, that girl's violent. The way she throws that knife around one of Joel's shivs wouldn't last five seconds. Although I enjoyed her vicious stabbing at Daniel in a perverse kind of way; that was somewhat satisfying after everything he did.

Why would even a makeshift shiv break after only two uses anyway? Joel's crafting must be pretty weak in the first place.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Marik2 said:
Does anyone know if the E3 demo was really scripted?
Yeah it was, but the end result is basically the same. Or should I say, the "feel" of the E3 demo is very much in the final game.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Heh, I didn't know that, last time I checked she was just very annoying and rumoured to be a lesbian. I'm not up to date with my vitriol.
I seem to be a vitriol magnet. It's my other super power. My first being pattern recognition.

Hunter85792 said:
Just wanted to point out that Ellen Page isn't the voice actor for Ellie. That would be Ashley Johnson.
Errr...That's nice, but neither of us said anything indicating otherwise.

Maxtro said:
Yeah it's really odd that Joel hasn't gotten a hold of a real knife in the 20 or so years after the collapse.
It's an alternate reality where most items were made out of cotton candy.

They were a truly disposable (and edible) society, which is why they met their downfall.

Or, at least, that's what I choose to imagine.

Cheeseman Muncher

Apr 7, 2009
ThingWhatSqueaks said:
The way Ellie attacks people makes me think of a murderous backpack.
This.

Letting her keep the knife made sense. While Joel could easily pummel folk into submission with his fists, Ellie has neither the reach or the strength to do so. With the knife she's got at least a chance of holding her own if needed.

I found she did jump on things and go stab happy pretty often if Joel got grabbed. Didn't always take them down but it gave me enough time to get up and swing a two by four into their teeth.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
JonB said:
Panel four. Check out dat bulbous fungally infected clicker butt.
Well there's the problem. Joel should have aimed for the neck! They should go down quicker that way! 20 years of drinking really messed up his aim (among other things).

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Kalezian said:
and only after getting a gun and being told "for emergencies only", shoot everyone the instant that they might of seen you two.
When I read this I immediately imagined the girl as some kind of deadeye quick-shot hitman, just nailing headshot after headshot before you even realized there were people there yourself. xD

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Joel had the ingenuity to make his own damn knives AND had all the guns, why should Ellie have given up her only weapon? Story wise, it actually makes more sense that she kept it to herself. Gameplay wise it would have been easier had she given it up, but it wouldn't make any logical sense for her to do it.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Combustion Kevin said:
dude, civilised society may have ended, but that's still HER knife!
If anything, an apocalypse strengthens her property rights, because they are now basically living a free-market society.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
McMarbles said:
I don't get it. Maybe this would make sense if I played the game...
The shivs that Joel uses will break after they are used. Ellie has a knife that never breaks, but only she gets to use it.

That's it.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
If she used it particularly often I'd be all for her just keeping it to herself, but she saved me maybe four times with the damn thing, and I wasted so many poor pairs of scissors. It wouldn't have killed her to lend it to me whenever I needed a shiv, at the very least- maybe with a dedicated "Hey, Ellie, can I borrow that vibranium knife you have?" button.