The Victims of Homosexuality

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I believe the correct description here is "Preaching to the choir yet again".

I guess it was good typing practice, though, so there's that.

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
You think this is the Fox News site or what?

This is the Escapist; You'll be hard pressed to find an openly gay bashing individual here.

I don't really understand the point of this thread, I guess.
More or less my thoughts.
While I agree with whats being said, I find it sad that is has to be voiced. I don't think I've seen any homophobes on the ecapsist, which makes it stand out from most sites, thats for damn sure. But still. I agree with you.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Oh, let us once again light a candle for all those people who have a massive amounts of support on the internet, in the media, and in popular culture and pretend like they're victims. Because obviously, the only people who kill themselves did it because they were bullied and depressed, not because popular culture repeatedly suggested to them that this was a valid way to deal with their emotional problems. Gay people are the ONLY people on the planet who have serious problems reconciling their sexuality with their personal lives and have trouble getting laid. It's not like every major city and many small towns don't have bars, clubs, and freaking parades exclusively catered to other like minded people.

It's 2012. Get over yourselves. Do yourself a favor and go on any straight dating site and check out the ratio of available straight men to available straight women. Maybe check out chat roulette some time, too. Maybe I'm just an embittered undersexed bastard with a bad attitude, but if I have to keep hearing about how bad gay people have it nowadays, I'm gonna scream. Because to me, it would be pretty freaking awesome if heterosexuals had a united cultural/political viewpoint, an identity, places to go to meet people, a persecution complex, and the general understanding that all involved want relationships and sex. And on top of that, wanting those things doesn't make you a bad person or a player or a slut or a whore or whatever.

Xhoyl

Dec 7, 2009
Sandytimeman said:
Xhoyl said:
So what your saying is you can think someone is completely evil, and think that that's totally cool? I just don't see most conservatives or religious people acting in such a manner.

In fact just about any religion that has a tenant or law against homosexuality has lobbyist and politicians that are actively fighting to remove gay rights, or claim that homosexuality is a threat.

Shit most religions of the god of Abraham (IE Christianity, Jewish, and Muslim) faiths homosexuality is a capital offense.
So you didn't really read what I said did you? Doing something wrong does not MAKE you evil. No person is inherently evil, not even Hitler. He made very bad choices, and as a result hurt a lot of people. And no, I'm not comparing gay people to Hitler, stop being so melodramatic. Look, I was just trying to show my stance on things, but I should have just assumed no one would understand. Next time I'm not even going to bother. Apparently having a different view that isn't hate filled and angry is foreign to people. Let me say it again, I will never EVER hate someone because of what they have done or what they believe, or what lifestyle they live. I don't agree with Muslims, but I don't hate them either, in fact most of them are probably very good people. Stop trying to twist my words just so you can look like the good guy. Btw, my religion does not believe in the old testaments laws because we're not Jewish, that's why we CHANGED. So stating that is pointless. One religion doing something does not mean that mine does it too, that's an over generalization.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
Xhoyl said:
I'm not trying to seem like a good guy or publicly like try and call you out on your point. I just was wondering, because my personal experience and fears as a homosexual that lives in the closet.

I often see people say they are against gays or gay rights but for them as a person. I am not really able to understand very well myself.

DrunkPickle

Sep 16, 2011
I'm sorry, but I don't entirely agree. You typed all of this with anger and hate. Saying that people who don't support homosexuality are the reason gays commit suicide is a little too harsh, don't you think? Everyone is in control of their own lives, and so, when a person commits suicide, it was their decision. Of course, other people may have prompted the person into the state of depression, and they are NOT by any means justified, no; but blaming them entirely isn't fair either.

Personally, I don't support homosexuality. I believe it's wrong as God created two genders for a reason. But I will not treat homosexuals any different than heterosexuals, I think doing so is wrong too, and this is where the problem lies.

I look at it like this: A person isn't justified just because he/she was born with the tendency to commit a certain sin more than other sins. We are all tempted, and we all go through hardships, but just like Jesus we must bear our cross.

So I leave you with a question:

"Is it better to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?"

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Lumber Barber said:
Small tip: Nobody's going to listen to you if you're being aggressive, and that's exactly what the opening post was being.
Meh. I don't have to say shit to this except for, yeah, opposition never gets your point across except for when thousands of Jews died so that they could understand that Nazi's didn't dig them, dig? Sure thats pushing the extreme, but thats my general point.

Pro-tip: Opposition and aggressiveness will always get your point across in one way or the other, but will always have extremely bad side-effects.

Sure the Hitler example was pushing it, but if your religion openly says thats its A-OK to bully, harass, push and sometimes straight up tell people to get killed, then your getting the point across that you don't like that specific brand of people. But that doesn't mean that you won't come off as a giant-metal-phallic-dick.

TizzytheTormentor said:
One of my best friends is gay and my sister is dating a girl (pansexual) I honestly for the absolute life of me figure out in any possible way how these people are immoral, they are exactly the same as us. When my friend revealed he was gay we were like "ok...cool" We make jokes about it as friends.

Riddle me this, why do people hate gays for no reason and treat them as people to be shunned. Gays are the same as us, just the people who think it's immoral are people who only think SEX SEX SEX! It confuses the fuck out of me.

Also the Aspergers syndrome is COMPLETELY overblown. I have it and I have plenty of friends and has had girlfriends and hell I SUCK at math which aspergers people are supposed to excel at. I just take advantage of the system and I'll get 175 euro a week one I finish school to do jack shit because I have aspergers, life is good. Alcohol and games will seem a whole lot cheaper.
Because their different. If you look at the main reason why people didn't like black dudes it comes down to 'their different' in a lot of the cases.

Anyways, I agree with you on this. But I don't think this is the right audience, of course we all still need to tackle the casual racism and LGBT bigotry one of these days. But thats a journey for another day.

Xhoyl

Dec 7, 2009
Sandytimeman said:
Xhoyl said:
I'm not trying to seem like a good guy or publicly like try and call you out on your point. I just was wondering, because my personal experience and fears as a homosexual that lives in the closet.

I often see people say they are against gays or gay rights but for them as a person. I am not really able to understand very well myself.
Yeah, it's definitely an odd standpoint, I'll admit. But that's good, if I was like everyone else, no one would ever listen to me :p I'm gonna level with you though, I can't even begin to imagine the struggles a gay person has, because the possibility has never entered my mind. I love woman, perhaps to a fault, but I feel for you and everyone like you despite my lack of understanding. Because I know what it's like to be bashed, to be hated, to be persecuted, even though no one knows who you really are. It makes me angry to think people would judge you as a person because of what you do with your life. I have seen many good people who do things they regret, but they are still worthy of being treated like everybody else.

tipp6353

Oct 7, 2009
I may get hate for this but, I think homosexuality is wrong but I do not hate those people for it nor do I criticize them for that choice in their life.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Patrick Buck said:
While I agree with whats being said, I find it sad that is has to be voiced.
Same.

And that was also my reaction to Susan Arendt joining in a panel about female gamers not hating all female characters and how they're portrayed.

I literally facepalmed that people found what they said suprising.

DrunkPickle said:
"Is it better to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?"
Edit: Why the hell isn't my line after the last quote showing up?
I'll type it again:
Kind of a moot point when most people don't think it's a bad thing.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
Although this isn't really an issue on the escapist, this message needs to be conveyed around the internet.. it is startling that in this age people still cannot accept other people's choices/lives..

Hell even on the online newspaper sites such as the Telegraph, the Guardian or even the Independent (all good British newspapers) have haters in their comments sections, says something about the state of the world today..

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
Sandytimeman said:
Xhoyl said:

Some people have a very hard time changing their religions or have reasons why they believe what they do. I believe that anyone who is part of a religion that believe that someone doing something that in no way harms anyone else is still committing a sin should reexamine their religion, but it is their choice. Xhoyl is trying to show that even if you don't agree with a persons behavior you don't have to bash them if they are not harming anyone. I strongly disagree with Xhoyl but I don't think we should be attacking him. There are people on these forums that are strongly homophobic but Xhoyl does not seem to be one of them so we should let him express is opinion, that being gay is wrong but should not be attack, and give him the courtesy of of telling him that he is wrong but not attacking him. I have known very nice religious people who truly that it is wrong to not believe what they do but where still close friends and deeply respected people of other religions, it seems odd but its not that uncommon.

CaptainOctopus

Oct 5, 2011
tipp6353 said:
I may get hate for this but, I think homosexuality is wrong but I do not hate those people for it nor do I criticize them for that choice in their life.
Why do you think it is wrong?

alexxcodered

Feb 3, 2011
zelda2fanboy said:
Oh, let us once again light a candle for all those people who have a massive amounts of support on the internet, in the media, and in popular culture and pretend like they're victims. Because obviously, the only people who kill themselves did it because they were bullied and depressed, not because popular culture repeatedly suggested to them that this was a valid way to deal with their emotional problems. Gay people are the ONLY people on the planet who have serious problems reconciling their sexuality with their personal lives and have trouble getting laid. It's not like every major city and many small towns don't have bars, clubs, and freaking parades exclusively catered to other like minded people.

It's 2012. Get over yourselves. Do yourself a favor and go on any straight dating site and check out the ratio of available straight men to available straight women. Maybe check out chat roulette some time, too. Maybe I'm just an embittered undersexed bastard with a bad attitude, but if I have to keep hearing about how bad gay people have it nowadays, I'm gonna scream. Because to me, it would be pretty freaking awesome if heterosexuals had a united cultural/political viewpoint, an identity, places to go to meet people, a persecution complex, and the general understanding that all involved want relationships and sex. And on top of that, wanting those things doesn't make you a bad person or a player or a slut or a whore or whatever.
Actually, there are places devoted to straights, straight culture etc, it's called everywhere! What you don't seem to realize is that even though it is 2012, people are still hated, assaulted, abused, even killed over being "Gay"

Also, i would imagine that it's pretty damn traumatic to realize that you were into your own gender, especially if you were raised in a society that hates LGBT people. (Like for example MOST of them) Although there are a lot of exclusively gay places, there are also a lot of biggots that still exist, that alienate gays, which means they need those places.

Also, and i know that people won't like me much for saying this, but i believe that every bigot, every hater, every unaccepting piece of scum deserves to suffer the fate that they want for the people they hate. I accept that bigots exist, but i picture a world where they don't exist, and i say, won't that be a much better world?

Free of fear over things they can't control, no more skin color based hatred, no more sexuality based hatred, no more personality based hatred, and no more physical or mental disorder based hatred

And that's a world we won't see as long as people like you exist, Mr zelda2fanboy

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
targren said:
Westaway said:
I just made a delicious shrimp and pasta dish. Restaurant quality. I paid $9 for all the ingrediants. I learned from a book. Buying the same dish, but frozen, less tasty and more fatty would cost around.$15. Makimg food is cheaper and easy. There is no excuse besides actual sicknesses.
Wow, you really don't get it, do you?

Here's a hint: Poor folk don't eat shrimp pasta dishes. Your $9 that you spent on one meal may well have been an entire day's food budget. Hell, you have to spend almost half that to just get a pound of fresh fruit, which has a nasty habit of spoiling. So you buy the shit in the can. Less good for you, but you can afford it. That's where the nasty frozen crap comes in. "Bad for you" is cheaper, even moreso in bulk but it has to keep.
No, frankly I don't think you understand. I'm am poor as all hell. I have done my research. Frozen food is A LOT more expensive than making it yourself. Shrimps were on sale. Spaghetti is already cheap. Lemon. A couple herbs that granted I got for free, but still. And my example was, for the lack of a better word "fancy" to show that you can make really nice dishes yourself. I could have easily pointed out that you can buy way cheaper ingredients and make a really cheap dish, like plain pasta with jarred tomato sauce, which would be around $4.
I'm sorry I sound so hostile, but the idea that frozen food is cheaper pisses me off.

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
targren said:
Westaway said:
I just made a delicious shrimp and pasta dish. Restaurant quality. I paid $9 for all the ingrediants. I learned from a book. Buying the same dish, but frozen, less tasty and more fatty would cost around.$15. Makimg food is cheaper and easy. There is no excuse besides actual sicknesses.
Wow, you really don't get it, do you?

Here's a hint: Poor folk don't eat shrimp pasta dishes. Your $9 that you spent on one meal may well have been an entire day's food budget. Hell, you have to spend almost half that to just get a pound of fresh fruit, which has a nasty habit of spoiling. So you buy the shit in the can. Less good for you, but you can afford it. That's where the nasty frozen crap comes in. "Bad for you" is cheaper, even moreso in bulk but it has to keep.
Your right $9 is absurdly expensive and Westaway is totally out of touch with reality.
But you know what is much cheaper then a frozen meal? Bulk raw ingredients and many things like frozen vegetables, whole wheat flour, dry beans, ect. This is far cheaper than most bad for you food and very good for you. It takes very little time to prepare a simple meal from raw or mostly raw dry/canned goods. $9 will last far more then a day and it will be healthy. Also the idea with most fresh ingredients that are hard to get quality that will store is buy cheap, if you are spending more then $1-2 a pound on fresh fruit then you should probably buy a cheaper kind.
If you live in some odd area where you don't have a way to cook food or flour is $1lb and bananas cost $3lb then I apologize if not you really don't have an excuse.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Zantos said:
Well put. Though I don't think I've seen anyone on these particular forums make homophobic comments, that's exactly the sort of thing that needs to be said to people that think the internet veil of anonymity is their free pass to do whatever the hell they want.

This video was made by students at my university. I recognise some, and a few I'm good friends with, including some that I didn't even know were gay. Anyway, it made me feel all tingly inside.

Come on man, get some George Takei up in this shit!

The man is a God.

tensorproduct

Jun 30, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Savage, the guy who originally came up with it, IIRC, completely denies the existence of bisexuality. You're either gay or straight, maybe you're going through a phase, maybe you're doing it for attention, but you absolutely cannot be bisexual.
This is flat-out incorrect. Just from Googling "Dan Savage bisexuality", I get the following results:

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/bisexuals/Content?oid=8743322
"Bisexuals - You Need to Come Out to Your Friends and Spouses?Now"

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2011/08/16/9534403-case-closed-bisexual-men-exist/
"Bisexual Men Exist!"

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/SavageLove?oid=2859
This one on the surface isn't the most bi-friendly, but it sure as hell acknowledges that bisexuals exist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2sIf_sVYuc
Q: Do you think that bisexuals exist?
A: Yes, of course!

In the YouTube link video, he goes into more detail, but the gist of it is that Dan Savage thinks that not everybody that identifies as bisexual is in fact bisexual.

As for the comment on race... huh? I can't think of any time that he has weighed in on any discussion regarding race, and I've seen plenty of It Gets Better videos from non-white people. I have no idea what you're basing that on. Link please?

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I never understood why being gay is considered an insult, not being gay myself, I shouldn't get offended by these comments, but strangely I do. Whenever someone calls another person gay I say to them "Whats wrong with being Gay?", after that most people just shut up, or say that they don't know.