The video game that got you into gaming

a ginger491

Apr 8, 2011
The topic seems simple enough. What was the game you played that spiked your interest in gaming? Or to make it easier, the first one you can remember that did this? How did it spawn your interest in games? Just name it and say why. Mine was the first one I had ever played, which was Mario Cart 64. It was just different to any sort of "game" i'd ever played. Did Chutes and Ladders let you race against other players and throw turtle shells at them to make them lose control of their car? I think not. Soon after I discovered a local arcade that really got my life as a gamer started. One time while I was playing my dad mysteriously disappeared only to have me find him playing Asteroids at the retro booths. Guess it may run in the family. Although what got me into the culture as a whole was Halo: Combat Evolved for the PC when I was 8. Even though the flood gave me nightmares for a month it was still worth it.

EDIT: To clarify, I'd like to know how/why the game got you into gaming, not just the first game you ever played. Please add a little more substance than just 'insert game name here' and end your post

mocruz1200

Jan 17, 2009
defiatelly Team Fortress Classic. before that i would just play games casually, it really opened my eyes to gaming

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Jesus... uuuh... I think it was Wings of Fury for the ZX Spectrum.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
Pitfall (Atari 2600)
and
The Oregon Trail (Apple II)
and
original arcade editions of Pac-Man and Donkey Kong once I was tall enough to see the screens

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
I cannot remember the name, but it was on a floppy disk, and it was about a squirrel who tosses down his nuts, and you were a basket catching them. It was brilliant, and quite difficult, as the squirrel started to toss rocks too. and apples for bonus points! My and my bro were highly competitive about it too. we had to change every 45 minutes (1 pc etc,), and we were both spot on (about 1-2 seconds of at most). Good times, good times.

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
Who got me from computer to console: Halo Combat Evolved (yeah, I had a SEGA and a NES before, but those were my brothers lovelies)

RTS: Age of Empires 2 (still play today)
FPS: Counter Strike 1.5 (not so much anymore)

CrankyStorming

Mar 8, 2010
Has to be the original Super Smash Bros, even though I was ironically more of a Playstation kid. I was at the age that I only really obtained it because Pikachu was on the cover, but suddenly I was exposed to this whole set of other characters weren't that dissimilar but weren't from any TV show I'd watched.

Linc_101

Jan 2, 2011
The earliest game I can remember playing was Wing Commander III. I was very young then, and had absolutely no idea what I was doing for a very long time. I just liked to click on things, and make things happen, whether those things were FMV dialogues between characters, or simply shoot lasers and blowing ships. Ultimately, the interactivity of WC III got me into gaming.

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
Uh, my dad started my corruption early. Commodore 64, Jumpman and Ghostbusters was the start of my decent into madness. Sadly, he never saw that one day, I would become the master.

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
Super Mario Bros. for the NES. It was the first game I owned on my first console. A very vanilla game to start with, eh?

RockOn3906

Jun 7, 2008
River Raid, on the good 'ol Commodore 64. Sidenote: I learned that the word for '*' is "asterisk" at about 5 years old because of that.

EDIT: Arg, ninja'd. Thought I'd be the first to mention C64. Oh well, still awesome

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
I think my very first was a Mario (don't know which one) on the GameBoy pocket, but I didn't start to get obsessed with it until I was introduced to a little title called Pokemon Red. God damn, I spent a lot of time on that game.

Wild_Marker

Mar 31, 2011
My SEGA and anything I could get my hands on that run on it.

Also, I have to give big credits to Theme Hospital. It was my first game that I played for more than 3 hours straight (and look at me today, with 8-12 hour runs on a good saturday).

Echo Delta

May 17, 2011
This little piece of history right here:

I had a really bad virus as a young child and eventually had to go to the hospital. The only thing I could do while I was there was sit around so they brought a TV and an N64 for me to play with for a day or so. I also lost my first tooth while I was there, yes I was that young, but that's a story for another time. I was instantly hooked and began playing in what could be the golden age of gaming, the N64 years. I still have that old N64 system and I hook it up every so often. OoT, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Star Wars Podracer, Majora's, Rogue Squadron, Star Fox 64, The original Super Smash Bros... oh to be young again.

Redgethebat

Aug 16, 2010
Well I would say the classic Sonic games on the Genesis. Although after my parents sold the Genesis, I didn't really play video games after that. That was until we got a PS2. my first game on that was Finding Nemo (hey, I was a kid), but the first game that I really really loved to death and got really into was Pac-Man World 2, which still holds up as one of the greatest platformers to date.