The video game that got you into gaming

drmigit2

Dec 25, 2008
I'm the cool kid who was playing Diablo 2 when he was age 6. In reality, Blizzard games kinda brought me in to gaming. I was playing starcraft broodwar at age 8 and yeah...

mechashiva77

Jul 10, 2011
I think it was either of the three, Super Mario Bros (either one, or two), Duck Hunt, or Tetris on the NES. My mom asked for the NES from her parents when it came out, and she let me play it. My older sister wouldn't let me touch the N64 :c

the27thvoice

Aug 19, 2010
Four games stand out. I grew up with games, so they were always natural to me, but four games more than any got me hooked.

1. Full Throttle, my first realization of good storytelling in games.
2. Return to Castle Wolfenstein. While everyone else were concerned with getting the most frags (and yes, I distinctly recall us calling it frags instead of kills back then...why did we stop doing that?) in Quake 3, Unreal Tournament and Counter-Strike or going capture-the-base in BF1942, I fell in love with RTCW's multiplayer. The team aspect was so damn good, engineers were a must and the rest of the team had to support them to win. As a medic using teammates as weapons I could do tons more damage than any soldier's panzerfaust or lieutenant's airstrike could. Wolfenstein Enemy Territory followed this success (and was free, so awesome), but sadly Enemy Territory Quake Wars failed to deliver and this type of team play was lost to the times.
3. World of Warcraft. From classic to Lich King, I suppose four years or so and my /played time for all my characters add up to over a year...my first obsession, my first addiction.
4. Mass Effect. The first time I saw a video game tell stories no books or movies could tell. My realization of how this medium could not only match the older mediums' stories, but branch out and tell its own stories better. I had seen the multiple possible endings thing done before many a time, but it was Mass Effect that showed me what was possible with your acts having consequences.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
A big disc of PS1 demos. Had the original Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, the first MGS, Tombraider 3, MediEvil, Grand Turismo, a Japanese bubble bursting game, Wild 9 (I think that's what it was called) and... that's all I can remember playing. But yeah, that demo disk. It was my only game for years, too.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Spiderman 2 on the PS2, bloody awesome game! My brother broke the disc, I will eat him for that >:D

Spiderman 2 (I was going to say SM 2 but decided against that :p) was open world with really tough challenges and medals, and a combat system that to this day I have seen matched only once (by another old PS2 game, also for PC, runs on 512MB RAM...).

DarkSoldier84

Jul 8, 2010
I must have been five or six when I got my first NES and Super Mario Bros. I also played Legend of Zelda. I can't remember details, but that got me started.

Red Albatross

Jun 11, 2009
MicroProse's F-19 Stealth Fighter. I'd played a little bit on the NES before that, but that game had me sitting for hours on my first computer.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009

i played it at a cousins house, we already owned Mario for Nintendo, but this game is the one that actually made me interested in video games, Mario was too hard for me at the time, this game was amazingly easy and fun to play, plus it had bugs a favorite character of mine when i was a kid.

Ir0n Squid

May 17, 2010
Lieutenant Larceny said:
I played some games on the N64 which weren't too great (I only had, like, three), but the first real game I got into was probably Animal Crossing on the Gamecube when I was... seven? I don't even know. I remember me and my sister constantly renting it from Blockbuster, then leaving the console on all the time when we had it because we didn't have a memory card big enough to support the game, so we couldn't time travel. It took us two months of doing this just to finally get the game, which we were overjoyed to see came with a memory card. I bought a DS just to get Wild World, and dropped that thing down more flights of stairs than I've walked, if that's possible. Was psyched for City Folk, that sucked. And now I plan to get a 3DS around Christmas when the price goes down, just for the new one. I don't know why, I was just so enthralled with the series. Looking back I don't even think they were that good. I nostalgia'd harder then I EVER have when I watched the E3 video for the new one. Kinda sad I lost Wild World. I think that one was the best simply, not because of what it added, but that you could take it on the go, and that's where that kind of game belongs, I remember that chewing up a lot of hours, walking around the mall or in car rides. I walked into a lot of people at the mall. After that, once I decided that I really liked video games, I got the GBA and another of my favorite games to this day, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. It was like an RPG but with Mario, but I gave Luigi all the nice clothes and badges because I liked him better, and always had him walk in front. *sigh* They just don't make games like that anymore.
After reading all that, I feel old. Thx, thx a lot. (/sarcasm)

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Age of Empires 2, Age of Kings. Played it round my friend's house, loved every minute. :D
Now how do you turn this on?

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
Halo. I played some games before that, and loved them, but Halo is what really turned me into a gamer.

But Rogue Squadron and Mechwarrior 2 came close. Ah, good times...