The video game that got you into gaming

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
Yoshi's Island was the game that really got me into gaming. Then soon came Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario: All Stars (with the Lost Levels, no less)

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
First video game I ever played was the Star Wars Episode 1 podracing game for the N64. But, the game that actually turned my into a hardcore gamer was Portal. I got it back when they made it free a couple years ago, and it was eye-opening. Then came Mass Effect, and I was hooked.

GrimSheeper

Jan 15, 2010
I had an incredibly simple green screen monochrome monitor with keyboard that had the floppy drive built in. There was a shooter game on it that I didn't understand (I was 7, it was in the then for me foreign language English)but it made me interested what these magical boxes could do. Watching my father play Diablo and Stronghold (the original D&D title) also played a big role.

bite_me43

Nov 22, 2009
the original donkey kong...on one of those battery powered home arcade thingys
like the one in this pic
http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/25/e/AAAAArDAvmIAAAAAACXgyw.jpg

Angry_squirrel

Mar 26, 2011
I've been told my dad introduced me to doom at around the same time I learnt how to talk :p However the first game I remember playing was The Incredible Machine. When my dad moved out we no longer had a computer, and what got me back into gaming was when I went to a friends house and played Metal Gear Solid on his Playstation. Over the next few months I hassled my mother to buy me one, and I eventually got one for my birthday. I've been an addict ever since xD

Eveonline100

Feb 20, 2011
Goldeneye 007
While my first game was rainbow 6(The VEEEERY first) The greast irony is that as much as i like both of them i never finshed them or for that matter played the multiplayer.

Takoto

Mar 25, 2009
Pokémon Red and Blue
Spyro the Dragon
Abe's Oddysee
Crash Banicoot
Medievil

My first consoles were the GBC and the PS1.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Halo 2, i came in to gaming quite late...

i had played games before, Like Pokemon Yellow, Digimon World and Crash Bandicoot and Sonic but EVERYONE played them, and it would only be for a an hour or so. Halo 2 was the first FPS i had played, (apart from Unreal Tournament but i was naff at that) and is why i love the Halo series so much now. =3

YonderTunic

Mar 4, 2010
I dont' have a great memory of it, but I know for a fact that the first game I played was with my father when I was 4 or 5, and it was Super Mario World for the SNES. Still one of my favorites.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
Backyard Baseball. I had a Nintendo before it, but I was never really interested (never got to play it that much.)

But Backyard Baseball was simple and fun, and made me want to play more games. I feel almost depressed over the state of the series today. It really is nothing like the game I knew back then.

LazyBones

Jul 10, 2011
The game that got me in to gaming was actually the first game I ever played: Pokemon Stadium for the N64.

Yeah it may not sound like a big deal, but I was only about 5 years old and this was the first time I had ever come in contact with a video game. It wasn't actually mine, my parents were visiting some old friends of theirs and someone in their family had the console. They basically just plonked me in front of the thing to keep me entertained for a while, I didn't move from that spot for hours.

I was just amazed at how I could get these really cool looking monsters, (some of which looked like dinosaurs, which at the time were the standard of 'coolness' by which I judged pratctically everything) to breathe fire, create tidal waves and to hack at each other with the blades they had instead of arms.

After that I was hooked and when I saw a Game Boy Colour in a store I begged my dad to buy it for me along with a copy of Pokemon Yellow.

To this day I still have that hand held and game, I also wish that I could remember the face and/or name of the person who asked me if I wanted to play on his new console.

Not PvP Flagged

Mar 7, 2011
Super Mario Kart, first game I (remember) playing, I think I was like 3 or 4 when I first played it and it was the shit.

Telemachus

Dec 13, 2010
sports games, cause i played alot of sports when i was a kid. i was also very athletic and good at sports in real life. but once i got into high school. it started to change. i got enough sports in real life and wanted to play other games, and games other people were playing and get into the community of gamers. now i only have 2 sports games and im plan on turning them in very soon. other wise games i have owned have all spanned a variety of genres. except JRPG really.

vazzaroth

May 19, 2009
Its weird to me to think there are people below the age of 30 that had a game like this. I can't remember a time when my life wasn't almost entirely about video games. I played Super Mario Bros. in my mom's lap just about since I was born, and started playing myself at around 3. I know I played a lot of Kirby's Adventure when I was around that age, as well as Mario and Zelda. My first real cognizant memories are of the SNES era. I guess the first big game that I can remember getting lost in was Super Mario World. I also remember Battletoads + Double Dragon on SNES because it was one of the first traumatic experiences I had. I remember getting my mom to buy it for me, then not being able to beat the first boss (Abobo) that night. I cried and cried and resented my mom for letting me buy such an impossible game.

Eventually I beat him, although never the game. I think I was like 9 or 10.

Edit: I just looked up the game, and apparently Battletoads + Double Dragon came out at the end of 1993. I probably got it a bit afterwards So that means I was closer to 5 or 6 when I played it...

Elijah Ball

Jan 29, 2011
that would have to be halo 2. before i played that i thought halo was stupid! can you believe that?!

i also had super mario bros when i was like 4, but that doesnt count.