The Vita Will "Die A Horrible Premature Death"

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
The Vita Will "Die A Horrible Premature Death"

Bossa Studios Co-Founder and "Gamer-In-Chief" Henrique Olifiers predicts a dark future for the PlayStation Vita.

"Valve is bang on: proprietary stuff is madness, we should be moving to more open platforms, to interoperability, bringing everyone together," said Olifiers in an interview with Videogamer.com.

"If this is not the motto for the big console manufacturers, not only will we not be there - they're likely to die a horrible premature death, the kind of which I think the Vita will suffer from."

He argues that the dedicated console market's steadfast refusal to even entertain the concept of cross-platform compatibility is holding the medium back.

"I hate the fact you cannot play a game on the PS3 against the same game on the 360 or PC," he said. "Walled gardens in a world where people are freely connected all the time is just a dumb idea that limits what is achievable."

Bossa Studios is a relatively new social-gaming startup, with only one game under its belt, an enjoyable little Facebook game by the name of Monstermind. [https://www.facebook.com/dialog/permissions.request?app_id=163614213714970&display=page&next=http%3A%2F%2Fmonstermind.bossagames.com%2Fmonstermind%2Ffb%2Fcallback&response_type=code&state=5iTPLaniBghgLCruv2yRXYZEojUh0gAnuLteMmglo0o%3D&fbconnect=1] Bossa made waves last week when it was revealed the developer had taken on Team Ico executive producer Yoshifusa Hayama, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114582-The-Last-Guardian-Executive-Producer-Quits-Sony] following his departure from Sony.

The people at Bossa, it seems, are not afraid of courting a little controversy. Back in June they posted a rather scathing breakdown of the social games scene; here's one of the highlights:

'Social games' tend to aim for the lowest common denominator, targeting the largest possible audience, losing their creative identity in the process. That trend is only made worse by the rampant copycat culture, where innovation is almost a foreign concept for many development teams. The fierce arguments of core gamers might be overly dramatic but these games are often better described as interactive experiences, rather than games.
When asked if Bossa studios would be developing any games for the Vita, Olifiers responded: "We'll keep on the lookout to see what the next gen will bring, but if they want more focus on tech specs rather than usability and accessibility, I don't think it will be for us."

Source: Videogamer.com [http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/the_last_guardian/news/vita_to_suffer_a_horrible_premature_death_says_bossa.html]

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
believer258 said:
...Is he talking about the Vita dying solely because you can't play Generic McShooter 2013 with your buddies who own different platforms?

I think there's more problems than just licensing and business ones. Cross-platform has happened before, certainly, but - and excuse me if I'm wrong - I'm pretty certain that technical issues exist as well.

Even if those technical issues don't exist, I seriously doubt that the lack of cross platform play is going to "kill" any new console.

And if he's talking about how it sucks that you can't put a 360 game into a PS3 and play it... well, that's called "competition", and it keeps prices down and keeps the production of good products up. It's healthy. We need it.
I think he meant cross platform communication, not one common console to rule them all, as it were. He is partially right I think. People connect to each other all the time. But as it stands, if you want to play against a buddy on Battlefield 3, you both need to own the same system.

The technical issues that prohibit that is mostly that different platforms communicate in different ways. It's not uncommon for multiplatform games, while in development and Alpha stages, to not be restricted by platform, that usually comes with finalization of the data transfer protocols. I'm sure it's more complicated than I'm understanding it to be, but the general idea is that multiplatform games could be played against each other if everyone wasn't trying to push their own proprietary crap around.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Meh, he's speaking as though multiplayer is all there is to games, Skyrim shows that 1p games are still highly viable, hell they can be game of the year, who even cares if one thing doesn't have multiplayer across all consoles.

Kei Kaemon

Fantastic Japanese Cat!
Nov 30, 2009
Is this even about the Vita? It has 1 line about it... And they don't even say a solid "No" they say they'll keep an eye out, and it seems will wait to see what sony will allow.

And no, the vita won't die a horrible premature death, just like the PSP didn't fail.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
believer258 said:
...Is he talking about the Vita dying solely because you can't play Generic McShooter 2013 with your buddies who own different platforms?
LOL. Pretty much it appears.

The guys is probably just sprouting sensationalist rubbish to get some publicity for his pathetic startup no one cares about.

That lack of cross-platform communication hasn't stop COD:MW3 and BF3 from selling millions, just saying.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
So without social gaming, the console will fail?

Nah.

Forget you guys, I'll be buying it for Uncharted, Little Big planet, and Persona 4. You can keep your generic farming sim with limited turns per day and multi-million dollar shooters with little inovation, thank you.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I love it when a company puts out a single popular game and then decides to tell us all about the future of gaming.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Its always fun when some no one calls out a giant never to be heard from again.

Not that I am saying the Vita is a good idea or anything. Hell Sony will keep throwing money at it until it shakes loose a niche like they did with the PSP. But seriously... I dont trust someone deeply entrenched in the industry like Kotic or Newell when they start making claims on what the industry will do, much less the new kid on the block.

Troubling case of "little man syndrome" here. Unless this is an obvious grab for attention to get attention for their product.

Bricky

Dec 24, 2008
deadish said:
believer258 said:

The guys is probably just sprouting sensationalist rubbish to get some publicity for his pathetic startup no one cares about.

That lack of cross-platform communication hasn't stop COD:MW3 and BF3 from selling millions, just saying.
Although I do agree that this one issue probably wont be the death of the PS Vita, it is also very naive to believe that just because something has succeeded in the past means that it will continue to succeed in the future.

SH4DOWSL4Y3R

Jan 21, 2011
this guy sure puts up a good argument /sarcasm.

i'll still be getting a ps vita, because i want a new handheld and whilst having been a fan of the game boy advance and ds, i see no value in the 3DS because it honestly has nothing that interests me as far as games go.

PS Vita, on the other hand, has a range of awesome games, most of which are set for release titles. Gravity rush, wipeout, LBP, Uncharted, and Rayman origins look like they will all be reasonably solid titles.

then of course there is the HD re-release of FFX slated for release somewhere in 2012, which pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
The Vita will probably die quickly, but it'll be because of the absurd price points and the draconian "features" that are standard on it to prevent you from reselling or upgrading without spending a fortune.

Exclusives are what justify multiple consoles even existing... if EVERYTHING was cross platform, we'd have no need for more than one.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
As its been said...Im going to go with the memory card price being the arrow to the knee for the Vita...

Handheld
Game
AND MEMORY card... Yeah that wont get expensive fast...

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
I don't think the Vita or any of those social games will die, but they will probably stay in a niche market.

But I do feel the propriety sd card is a bit much. Sony, you reading me?

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Bricky said:
deadish said:
believer258 said:

Although I do agree that this one issue probably wont be the death of the PS Vita, it is also very naive to believe that just because something has succeeded in the past means that it will continue to succeed in the future.
Well, there is no reason to believe it won't "continue to succeed" either.

No one is really complaining about the lack of cross-platform communication on current consoles.
May it change one day, sure. But currently there are no "signs" of any demands for change. At the moment, it's basically a non-issue - i.e most people just don't cares.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
nice idea, but i don't think that's what gonna kill the vita, what'll kill it will likely be the same thing that killed the PsP :p

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
So...let me see if I've got this straight. This guy gets the executive producer of Team Ico working for him and all of a sudden he thinks he has the insight to predict the future of a system that isn't even out yet. A system developed by a company that most likely spends who knows how many millions of dollars on market research to determine the best who, what, when, where, how, and why to release said system.

...The man's either cocky or a complete idiot. Or both.

Nothing against indie studios, and I know he's probably doing this just as a publicity stunt, but he does not have NEARLY enough experience to make a call like that.

In fact I'm probably going to get a PSV, if only so I can play Final Fantasy Type-0. It looks pretty damn good, but I have to wonder who's responsible for changing it from Agito XIII to Type-0. I liked Agito XIII better as a name.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Well, that's just a dumb comment. Cross-platform gaming is hard as it is. I'm not techie, but for one, I know graphics are one drawback. Who knows what else is stopping platforms from being compatible like that? Yeah, it would be nice if I could play MW3 with my friend who owns an 360 but that's no biggie. And besides, is he referring to the fact that Vita owners won't be able to play against PS3 owners...or DS owners?

This is neither here nor there. This hasn't been a major issue before. I don't see why this guy's acting as if it's a big issue now. It might be an issue in the future, but for now, it's just an irrelevant issue.

At any rate, I'm not getting the Vita. I'm still happy with my PS3 and my Game Boy Micro. And besides, handheld games/systems do not attract me anymore, no matter how epic they might be. It's just better to play with a normal-sized controller while looking at a screen bigger than 5in. What might kill the Vita is the price and its new features, such as that memory card business. But who knows? It might start like the 3DS, slow at first but slowly picking up the pace.