The Vita Will "Die A Horrible Premature Death"

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Well, I'm glad to see that all you Sony diehards here will be keeping the Vita alive! Surely there is still some glorious market for stupidly expensive ridiculously proprietary consoles (Even the memory? What? They're just f#$ing with you now, Cletus) with predatory pricing so you people can KEEP IT TEWTALLY REAL.

The rest of us will just have to make do with our phones when we can't crawl over to our consoles and PCs.

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
*looks at the 3DS*

I think the Vita has a much better chance of succeeding than the 3DS, and the 3DS is still around. So... WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG

surg3n

May 16, 2011
What is this guy on about!

Is he having a go at the Vita for not being cross platform?
Is he having a go at social gaming because they made 1 social game and are now industry experts?
Is he even remotely aware of his audience! - Facebook games are social games, if he doesn't understand why that is, then he and his 'company' are doomed to fail. Sim/Management/Casual games might be a little shallow, but they work on Facebook because you can get on with other things while playing them... Facebook is no place for hardcore games and bitching about the platform your on only works for people who can move forwards.

The biggest turnip in his bunch though is his attitude to the Vita. For one thing, his company won't be making games for it, because his company makes 'shitty' facebook games, and probably couldn't compete with Vita titles.
I'm no fan of the PSP, in fact it's the least comfortable handheld I've used, ever. But the Vita looks set to tear the handheld market a new one. I think it'll do great, because there really isn't a handheld for hardcore games these days, certainly no handheld that can deal with first person shooters, or fast paced driving games. As I said I'm no fan of the PSP, but I will be buying a Vita.

He says the Vita is doomed to fail, I say his company is doomed to linger in Zynga's shadows, making shitty facebook 'games' that people try once and never look at again, and he's doomed to disappear up his own ass if he can't keep his trap shut.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
These are the same people who praise the 3DS even though it has done nothing for the industry.

So no thank you.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
...does this guy even know what the Vita is?

Nearly everty game I've seen thats even comparable to a major console release says they have full versus capabilities against the Ps3. The walls there are already gone.

Second, Valve have Steam on PsN, the platform the Ps3 is connected to. I will bet you eventually they will break down the barriers there.

The Vita is the most cross-platform machine I've ever seen in my life. Its the exact opposite of the problem he noted.
I was about to say the same thing. Cross-platform is already a thing, I played Portal 2 co-op on PS3 with someone on PC, and Vita is just another step forward in that regard.

Illessa

Mar 1, 2010
Beautiful End said:
Well, that's just a dumb comment. Cross-platform gaming is hard as it is. I'm not techie, but for one, I know graphics are one drawback. Who knows what else is stopping platforms from being compatible like that?
Nope, interoperability is really really easy in principal, and graphics are irrelevant. Multiplayer doesn't involve pushing graphical assets around, it involves passing around lots of sparse information that in real language amounts to "Bob is in position W, moving in direction X shooting gun Y in direction Z", and then your machine has the job of interpreting that and turning it into graphics and gameplay. The fact that Bob and his gun look slightly different/worse on my machine than yours is fine as long as we both have the same information about how fast he can move and what the gun's stats are, and that's all contained in the game code. And all this information is pushed around using standard networking protocols that all modern computers/consoles understand.

Obviously it's more complicated than that in practice, for various reasons. But compared to the headache of making a game on multiple platforms in the first place? Not that big a deal as long as you plan ahead.

Phantasy Star Online and Quake 3 did cross-platform multiplayer. Valve did it more recently with Portal 2's PC/PS3 crossover. Hell, take PC gaming in general for wildly different specs and even platforms - I can play Left 4 Dead 2 on my gaming desktop on max settings; and the fact that the three guys I'm playing with are on a laptop barely more powerful than a netbook, a Mac mini, and a Linux machine running Steam through Wine doesn't impact my playing experience one iota.

The only thing standing in the way of interoperability is Microsoft and Sony's willingness to open their walled gardens.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Crono1973 said:
I love it when a company puts out a single popular game and then decides to tell us all about the future of gaming.
I see people cast judgments without ever having put out a single game all the time.
It's almost as if having made games means fuckall.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
"I hate the fact you cannot play a game on the PS3 against the same game on the 360 or PC," he said.
Well, we all know why the PC is walled off. It would just be unfair for everyone else.

Beautiful End said:
Well, that's just a dumb comment. Cross-platform gaming is hard as it is. I'm not techie, but for one, I know graphics are one drawback.
I can tell you're not a techie with that comment. Look at a game on PC, let's take TF2 for example. All of the people playing that game aren't going to have the exact same specs, or indeed, graphical settings. And yet, somehow, they can all play together. The technical side of cross-platform is easy, it's just up to the companies to decide to do it.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
I for one would love to see PS3 vs 360 team battles on BF3, or COD - that would be a lot of fun, a true console war :D.
The bottom line is that networking code in a game like BF3 will be the same, or very similar between platforms. It is time consuming and difficult to program multiplayer, it would make no sense to have different systems on different platforms.

Thing about the 360 though is how rediculous it's 'walled garden' is. It's only just getting more online services, but it can't even browse the web... what is the issue with M$ that we pay for a service to access online gaming, on top of our ISP costs, and we are then restricted by it. How come my iPod has better online capabilities than my powerful console and paid online service... ohh and the new 360 dashboard sucks - I don't have connect, I don't have a tablet PC, so give me my CONSOLE dashboard back, you douchebags!

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Most handhelds, from my experience anyway, have a rough first year of release. The 3Ds is going through it, but look at the games it has now. People say the PSP was a bomb, but go to Japan, everyones got one! The gameboy colour properly boomed when pokemon red/blue hit the marketn

I can see this being the same with Vita, even though the announced games seem pretty damn good (Persona 4 being on my radar) and some bloke whos made ONE social media game cannot really be taken seriously when talking about the future of well developed companies.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
y is it that is always some stranger that spells doom and gloom for big name products?

Wouldn't it be nice if it was say the VP of microsoft that said something on these lines instead of some dude.

o wells. Funny that he picks on PS3 too when its the only console even trying to do the cross platform thing with Portal2 Console/PC co-operable Multiplayer.

I wish some1 kept a tab on all of these small developers who mouth off about shit and call them on it when they are right or wrong.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
I haven't bothered with handheld gaming since the original Game Boy. So I already had zero interest in the Vita.

But it's all the touch-screen motion-control bullshit that makes this thing even less appealing. Tap the screen to punch a guy? Move the Vita around to aim? Gimmicky bullshit. I'm so tired of this trend, which, sadly, appears to no longer be a trend and has no become the real direction all games are going in. I hate it. And what makes it worse is that I'm now old enough to hate the younger generation and be crotchety and bitchy about all this new-fangled horseshit, so I just end up sounding bitter.

ice1985

Jun 27, 2011
I rarely post on here, but I must say that I wholeheartedly agree with this guy and I've been thinking the same thing since the PS2 was new.

The only game I remember really enjoying online this gen has been Portal 2, playing on my PS3 with a PC player.

-Edit-
I only bought a PSP original to play the Metal Gear spin off games, and I think I only finished three or four games on the system. It's a powerful piece of hardware, but I don't ride the bus and I'm not in Junior High. I have no need for a handheld. I'll be skipping the Vita.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
deadish said:
believer258 said:
...Is he talking about the Vita dying solely because you can't play Generic McShooter 2013 with your buddies who own different platforms?
LOL. Pretty much it appears.

The guys is probably just sprouting sensationalist rubbish to get some publicity for his pathetic startup no one cares about.

That lack of cross-platform communication hasn't stop COD:MW3 and BF3 from selling millions, just saying.
The best thing is that he's even wrong. Maybe not with the 360 but with the PC and PS3

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/01/18/portal-2-will-let-pc-and-ps3-gamers-play-together/

What's more one of the selling points of the Vita is the way it integrates with the PS3

The truth is that developing games cross-platform takes a lot of extra work and creates a huge imbalance because either the console guy or the PC guy is going to have an advantage in anything faster than a turn-based game. DC Universe was going to be cross platform (PS3 and PC again) but then they realised it would just screw up the balance

ice1985

Jun 27, 2011
BrotherRool said:
deadish said:
believer258 said:
...Is he talking about the Vita dying solely because you can't play Generic McShooter 2013 with your buddies who own different platforms?
LOL. Pretty much it appears.

The guys is probably just sprouting sensationalist rubbish to get some publicity for his pathetic startup no one cares about.

That lack of cross-platform communication hasn't stop COD:MW3 and BF3 from selling millions, just saying.
The best thing is that he's even wrong. Maybe not with the 360 but with the PC and PS3

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/01/18/portal-2-will-let-pc-and-ps3-gamers-play-together/

What's more one of the selling points of the Vita is the way it integrates with the PS3

The truth is that developing games cross-platform takes a lot of extra work and creates a huge imbalance because either the console guy or the PC guy is going to have an advantage in anything faster than a turn-based game. DC Universe was going to be cross platform (PS3 and PC again) but then they realised it would just screw up the balance
As I understand it, he's not saying developers are wrong for making certain games. He's putting the blame on the console makers. Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft need to learn to play nicely together.

I tend to agree with him.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Kitsuna10060 said:
nice idea, but i don't think that's what gonna kill the vita, what'll kill it will likely be the same thing that killed the PsP :p
Wouldn't bet on that. Even the launch line-up is looking much, much better than the titles for the PSP's entire lifespan. I'm entertaining the idea of getting one myself. Only thing stopping me is the price, since I'm pretty sure Sony still thinks every man, woman and child in Europe is a fucking millionaire.